The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Yum !
20200728-190219.jpg

Planting lavender around the arbor vitea and putting a little block barrier in with hopes it will limit the grass encroachment. Long term plan is to have a path from the gate in the fence to the back deck and eliminate all the grass in this general area, replacing it with low maintenance perennials and shrubs.

HNpTTMq.jpg

Anyone else reading this in their local papers?
Has a package of ‘mystery’ seeds landed in your mailbox? Mass. officials say report it, don’t plant it
NXC6B22AAFDUPP3HMIE3DCJBPU.JPG

By: Boston 25 News Staff
Updated: July 28, 2020 - 8:29 PM
A warning now in Massachusetts about a phenomenon that’s happening in other states: mystery packages from China full of seeds. The state’s Department of Agriculture said the types of seeds in the packages are unknown, and you should let the department know if you received one.

Christine Lieber did not order jewelry from China, but that's what a package addressed to her said.

"I still opened it and when it opened it there wasn't anything inside with an invoice or a description inside of what it was," she said.

Those seeds came with packaging that said “untracked.” The feds are investigating.

“It is not a traceable package,” Lieber said. “You get very nervous and anxious about, well what is the motive for these seeds?”

“We have no idea even really what it is because we haven’t really analyzed any of the seed coming in yet,” said Jacob Flieg of the Missouri Department of Agriculture.

If you receive a mysterious package of seeds, investigators say do not open the package, do not plant the seeds if the packaging has been opened, and report your delivery so investigators can gather evidence.

"Whether it's actual seed that's legal for distribution in the United States or in our state, whether it has noxious or prohibited weeds in it, those kinds of seeds just are typically hard to control under our normal agriculture practices, so they can overtake our native species and kind of crowd them out," Flieg said.

Lieber has instructions to send her seeds to USDA inspectors who will assist in getting more answers about what the motives are in China.

“It’s the right thing to do, and the easy thing to do is just throw them away and not do anything but I care about myself, my family, my friends and the people around me who I’ve never met,” Leiber said. “And if there’s something we can do to prevent something from happening…that’s going to be a huge, huge problem, way more than a shortage of toilet paper if we’re not concerned about those around us.”

The state said someone from the Department of Agriculture will contact you with details about what to do with the seeds after you alert them through this form.

© 2020 Cox Media Group

https://www.boston25news.com/news/h...Headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=45728

Good way to spread another Chinese virus world wide... free seeds. If they appear in my mail box, I'll burn them.

Anyone seen the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Pod people. Just sayin...

Who knew? Life just gets stranger...gardening such a pleasurable hobby!

International seed sales/purchases would likely be illegal, so this was called "jewelry" to get through customs.

Seriously, I probably would not burn them as the fumes may be toxic. Big mystery along with everything else, just what we need!

Probably a "wildflower" mix. ;) Yeah, I thought about the toxic aspect to burning them. My vote is for pod people. Check your attics, garages, crawl spaces, basements, sheds and so forth!

Well, one thing we see: the virus has not killed the scammers of the world, phone scams, mail scams, alive and well.:mad:

This little piggy ... apparently loves the gladiolas.

DSCF1260 CHIPMUNK GLAD EATS 650 MED.jpg

Another one bites the dust :eek: - # 7 counting this one. They have made quite a stunning bouquet, unintended.

DSCF1262 CHIPMUNK GLAD GROUND 650 MED.jpg

Naturally, the squirrels are appalled by such chipmunk behavior :D

DSCF1264 SQUIRREL BENCH NASTURTIUMS 650 MEDD.jpg

Last edited:
This little piggy ... apparently loves the gladiolas.

View attachment 1387970
Sure glad that the squirrels haven't taken a liking to Amaryllis. I know they sometimes dig day lily roots.

Been thinking.... Brown Eyed Susan vs Black Eyed Susan? Same thing? I just bought a "Black Eyed Susan" cultivar at the nursery called "Glowing Smileyz" (Rudbeckia hirta). Has a mixed color combo that is fall like.... more browns and orange than yellow.

Sure glad that the squirrels haven't taken a liking to Amaryllis. I know they sometimes dig day lily roots.

Been thinking.... Brown Eyed Susan vs Black Eyed Susan? Same thing? I just bought a "Black Eyed Susan" cultivar at the nursery called "Glowing Smileyz" (Rudbeckia hirta). Has a mixed color combo that is fall like.... more browns and orange than yellow.
Same quandary here ... always I've known them wild as brown eyed susans yet seed packs (rudbekia) name them black eyed. The seed pack turned out stunning perennials, a little slower to bloom but taller than the scrappy wild ones. If I can find my comparison pics - will post.

ETA: Wild brown eyed susans at last digs

DSCF1578 (2) BROWN EYED SUSANS WILD 650 MED.jpg

Original seeds from wild ones above planted many years ago where I am now - encouraged by a little tlc over last two summers. Same, drought-resistant scrappy attitude of the wild.

DSCF1307 BROWN EYED SUSANS 650 MED.jpg

Seed pack said black eyed susans (rudbekia) - planted at last digs - uniform, tall & straight, attractive foliage, a lovely statement in the garden.

055 BROWN EYED SUSANS 750 MED.jpg

And they spread into a large stand and traveled a little too

DSCF8758 LOWER GARDEN RUDBEKIA 650 MED.jpg

Last edited:
Last of the tall lilies just started to open. The bees don't care much, but butterfly's like them.

vaPayzC.jpg
Interesting picture and in sharp focus. Been thinking how I would take this picture. It's sort of like two pictures in one. My impression may be influenced by the fact that I can't view the entire picture without scrolling the screen. ;)

Dry month here (July). We are in the first stages of drought locally. We are running about 2.5 inches below normal monthly rainfall. Maybe next month? Lowest monthly rainfall since November 2017 here at the house. Last year, rainfall didn't pick up until late October.

Last edited:
A bag of gladiola bulbs and a packet of cosmo seeds ... it's like the story of Jack and the Beanstock :D

DSCF1288 HOUSE BEE BALM GLADS COSMOS NASTURTIUMS 650 MED.jpg

View from my easy chair - window on right in pic above.

DSCF1234 GLADS COSMOS BEE BALM 2 650 MED.jpg

Chipmunk keeps shinnying up the glad stems and knocking them over, but more keep on coming.

DSCF1373 GLADS MULTI 650 MED.jpg

Weed Hill and the path to the veg garden are on the other side ...

DSCF1296 GLADS COSMO BEE BALM WEED HILL AM 650 MED.jpg

Bingo! I "think" these must be the variety Red Racer - ripen in 57 days from transplant out (24th May). These are in the ground - veg garden on weed hill.

DSCF1316 TOMATOES RIPE 650 MED.jpg

The garden is soaked with hose as it has been dry here, hot - the perfect holiday weather. Tomatoes in cages are at far end - more recent plantings closer, supported with poles set on turf walls. At base of cold compost are pumpkins climbing and spreading.

DSCF1314 VEG TOMATOES POLES PUMPKIN 650 MED.jpg

22-rimfire 22-rimfire I added images to post #372 above re: brown/black eyed

Can anyone tell it's raining here and I'm inside for a change ? :p

My easy chair view through the window ... where I watch hummingbirds when I am not trying to photograph them - the eternal quest.

DSCF1333 LIATRIS ZINNIA GLADS TO BEE BALM BUSBY`S WINDOW 650 MED.jpg

Liatris and annual zinnias bring the hummers, butterflies and other pollinators right to my window. Often the hummers approach the orange loops (rubber covered wire weights hung on the end of jute danglers - so birds don't hit window) and seem to stare right at me.

DSCF1342 LIATRIS ZINNIA OUTSIDE BUSBY`S WINDOW 650 MED.jpg

I keep trying for a good picture - the 'quest' goes on ...

Watching hummingbirds is tough work, but someone has to do it :)

DSCF1331 HUMMINGBIRD LIATRIS ZINNIA 650 MED.jpg

Same quandary here ... always I've known them wild as brown eyed susans yet seed packs (rudbekia) name them black eyed. The seed pack turned out stunning perennials, a little slower to bloom but taller than the scrappy wild ones. If I can find my comparison pics - will post.

ETA: Wild brown eyed susans at last digs

View attachment 1390197

Original seeds from wild ones above planted many years ago where I am now - encouraged by a little tlc over last two summers. Same, drought-resistant scrappy attitude of the wild.

View attachment 1390196

Seed pack said black eyed susans (rudbekia) - planted at last digs - uniform, tall & straight, attractive foliage, a lovely statement in the garden.

View attachment 1390195

And they spread into a large stand and traveled a little too

View attachment 1390198
They look the same to me. ;) Thanks for the effort.

annr annr For sure, the wild is craggy, shorter - the tough survivor that flowers in the most unlikely spots and really digs in if it finds a patch of soil to itself. Thrives in dry, re-seeds profusely. Long lasting blooms.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire For sure, both centres are brown!

:cool:

Back