The 2021 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

I had never known that when you let broccoli go to seed, it produces pretty yellow flowers. My wife wanted seeds for next season, so here we are...
uUP2PtW.jpg

My neighborhood started out with big lots, with the exception of those right down by the water which were originally 4-5 to the acre. A couple blocks up and it's 2-3 to the acre. I'm about 5 minutes up the hill and have a 1/3 acre lot on a cul-de-sac. But what's happening now is the old houses are being bought up and they're building anywhere from 4-8 houses on them turning the driveways into private roads. It's driving up the prices like crazy.

It's been snowing for a couple days. It was pretty much melted off yesterday morning, but started again about noon and has been coming down since then.

rLUevj0.jpg

Thankfully, our county has regulations against lots being divided once a neighborhood is established. Unless some kind of funny business happens, we should be good to go against that.

Thankfully #2, we don’t get snow unless something goes really haywire! Good luck with that

I think our temperatures have stabilized enough, so I moved my pineapple mini-plantation back outside. I’m at 24 plants with only the first one being store bought. All the rest were established from pineapples grown here. So far, 6 have started to put up fruits.

67F199CE-B6CE-4E5A-A86F-70BE2C8B1347.jpeg

I think our temperatures have stabilized enough, so I moved my pineapple mini-plantation back outside. I’m at 24 plants with only the first one being store bought. All the rest were established from pineapples grown here. So far, 6 have started to put up fruits.

View attachment 1519421
Good going on the propagation! The "pineapple :D plantation" here will be delayed another 2 1/2 months due to snow.

However, on February 28th, I did spot my first spring chipmunk enjoying the mild temps. The chipmunk is using the squirrel tunnels in the snowbanks to evade scary things - aka the dog.

Inside, in the south facing window, the Red Hot Cattails are thriving - my very favourite house plant.

DSCF4084 RED HOT CATTAILS BLOOMS CLOSE 650 MED.jpg

Coleus cuttings, second batch of Campfire and Ruby Slippers, are just potted up.

DSCF4102 COLEUS CUTTINGS RED H OT CATTAILS 650 MED.jpg

And from outside, the original parent coleus plants growing also in a south facing window, snowy landscape in reflection. Yes, the string danglers look cheesy, but they have saved a lot of bird strikes and grief for me on this side of the house nearest the feeders and the hummingbird candy (perennial bee balm, annual zinnias and nasturtiums).

DSCF4116 THROUGH WINDOW COLEUS REFLECT SNOW DANGLERS 650 MED.jpg

Check out the size of this mutant egg! It had 2 huge yolks!20210304_161943.jpg

And a picture of my luxurious bathroom. Best view "in" the house!Screenshot_20210304-185305_Gallery.jpg

What is that beautiful bloom in your last post? :thumbsup:

By way of a little contrast to this colourful spring blossoming ... either Daisy is growing in leaps and bounds, or the woodpile is shrinking. Reveal - it's the woodpile ;)

Jan 23

View attachment 1520588

Mar 4

View attachment 1520589
Sorry didn't see your question. That's the almond tree. Always the first with flowers. Ridiculous set against those daffodils. It's about 20 feet from where my wife and I got married. That's the only almond tree in a line of apple, pear, plum, cherry and apricot trees. The birds get 99% of these fruits. Landowner is mainly a Meyer's lemon farmer.Screenshot_20210315-160810_Gallery.jpg
My (almost) 3 year old kid caught in some hail.

Apparently, someone really likes my new seedlings!,

View attachment 1527857
Now I miss Lumpy :), left behind when I relocated in 2017. My patio garden was her hydration and day nap centre for years ... came for the moist soil in the pots, stayed for the safety to sleep ... and she truly loved the bugs drawn overnight by the one solar light I set out for her.

Lumpy ... you are missed!

Here, scrunched into a 4" pot with thunbergia seedling pushed to side ...

DSCF4441 LUMPY 4 INCH POT 650 MED.jpg

Here, after climbing up several terraced pots into a favourite of hers ... under cover of basil. Always had to inspect my crops before harvesting :D

DSCF4100 HERE'S LUMPY 650 MED.jpg

Here, chipmunks have been out gathering seed since Feb 28, redwings and grackles here as of Mar 12. The landscape remains deep in snow yet the south-facing laneway is almost bare - just frozen!

Reactions: 555
I’m glad we have lots of toads and lizards around to help keep the bugs down. This was the first one that I’ve seen borrowing space in the potted plants. My barn has a security light that stays on all night, and the toads seem to love that

My dog was taking me for a morning walk and we came across this on one of our neighbors’ houses.

9F262F46-860B-4D96-BDB9-003B31FC320E.jpeg[/QUOTE]

Swan pair has arrived on the river, basking in the sun off the north bank (facing south) while there remains some snow on the south side. Flip phone pic from car window. Winter's not over here 'til it says so ... ;)

SWANS ON RIVER 650 MED 0322211300-01.jpg

Daisy poses outside for size comparison with the 'happiest overwintered plant in the house' - Red Hot Cattails (chenille).

DSCF4196 DAISY RED HOT CATTAILS  650 MED.jpg

Latest bird arrivals include the American Woodcock (heard but as yet unseen) and of course robins (yeah common, dependable, cheery robins!). Ducks and geese - every ice-free patch of open water is a splash-down playground and quacking noisy.

Happy spring gardeners :) and to everyone who just loves to leave winter behind for a bit :thumbsup:

Back