The $500 Question

21 vs. 25: I think there's a really fundamental difference. The 21 continues the traditional precision-fit bushing system used by CRK. Just crank the pivot bolt all the way down and done. No adjustment, no Loctite, no nuthin'. The 25, like the Umnu, uses the traditional adjustable pivot.

I like the idea of the traditional precision-fit bushing system used by CRK. So now the large 21 Starbenza has my attention.

Just get a 2nd hand large sebenza here on the forums... you wouldn't even come close to $500 ..... you can easily find one for $330 plain jane or $360 with inlays...

I personally carry a small 21...it meets all of my needs, though obtaining a large is on my agenda...

Sorry! Didn't know that! I'm waiting on the first run :)

Me too brother! Seriously looking forward to mine!

I'm sure they'll be available on the secondary market once released and hopefully within the OP's budget!

Me too brother! Seriously looking forward to mine!

I'm sure they'll be available on the secondary market once released and hopefully within the OP's budget!

True that! Just got an email today (like you too probably) that because of problems with the machines of the machine shop, Jake Hoback will finish them by hand and we'll all be getting semi-customs instead of midtechs :)

Zaan or large debbie from your list, but there is many others that I would probably go with. Some great Striders out there and there is quite a few good customs in that range or very close to it.

For about $525 you can get a Dave Curtiss F3 3.5. You won't find much better than that for the price.

I have had multiples of the first two listed. I think they are the best. Unless you have money to burn, why not buy an "as-new" or slightly used sample on the "Exchange," where excellent samples of either one can often be found for $325? If you like the knife, you can keep it or sell it easily for about the same money, and buy yourself a brand new one.

I would buy a custom. One can great custom pieces from Pat and Wes Crawford, Frank Centofante, Andre Thorburn, Andre van Heerden, Brian Tighe...the list goes on for under $500.

I also vote for a Sebbie 21. The Micarta inlayed ones are my favorite, by far.

Stay away from the 'Gold Class'. I have owned many and the fit n finish were far from where they should be for a higher end knife.

2014-09-24 08.43.57 by BiggestJon, on Flickr

Well, I've owned 3 folders between $300 and $550, so I have fairly limited experienced. Here's what I've owned, and my opinion/experience of them.

1) Brian Tighe Mini Tighe Rod--Flips wonderfully on bearings, beautiful fluted blade. However, I am a large guy (6'4" 250lbs) with L/XL hands, and though I'm ok with most 3"~ bladed knives, the curvature of the handle made it difficult and uncomfortable to use. I probably would have been fine with the regular or large size. Otherwise, I really like his designs, and in the future may try another in a bigger size, straighter handle.

2) Strider SnG--Black lego, flamed Ti, S30V blade. Great ergos, well made, strong lock, no issues at all. Needed the money so I sold it, and deeply regret it.

3)Three Sisters Forge Beast--My favorite knife I own. The waterjet presentation scale gives excellent grip, and the ergos are perfect for my hands. Very smooth operation, and Jim is wonderful to deal with. The initial one I received developed blade play/lock issues, but I sent it into him, had it back in a week and it is absolute perfection. Sharpest blade I've ever received new or used, carved a pumpkin with no noticeable difference in sharpness. At your price range, a phenomenal deal.

My advice is to really look at customs with your spending limit. I've often looked at Sebenza and Umnums, and they just don't do anything for me. At their prices, I would rather have something custom/mid-tech.

Back