• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

The 80's!! Anyone remember knives from the 80's??

Hey guys an' gals (with a ;-) to those whom were either born in or a teen in the 80's)

Hehehe. Let's see how many knives you guys can either name or post a pic from which was made in the 80s! C'mon!

;-)

The Survivor....and that cheesy commercial...ugh. The Survivor!! You can SURVIVE with it! Comes complete with bottle-capper! Matches, hooks, and fishing line sold separately. Lol.....now I feel really, really, really OLD!

It was in the mid 80s that I purchased my Kershaw Deer Hunter (AUS 8), and to this day it is my favorite knife for the great outdoors.

spyderco-police-stainless-g-10-c07p.jpg

I had one of those "Made in Pakistan" daggers that had the brass guard and wood handle and a cheesy leather-like sheath with a snap closure. Dull as a butter knife, but that thing was "Cool" I think I traded some cheap metaloid handcuffs I had bought at K-Mart for them on the school bus.

I also had a "Black Dragon" or "Tiger" locking folder that had the exaggerated finger grooves on the handle with the guard cast into the top, and the clear acrylic inlays that had a skull/dragon/chinese character or something similar on it.

I, too, owned a "Survival Knife," with saw-back and cap lifter. Mine was ~$13 and had the compass screwed onto the back of the hollow handle, and included the sinker/hook/line, and a couple matches, needle and thread. It was actually a bit higher quality than others I'd see later.

Now, I did have exposure to a quality blade, and when I saw it, was in awe. A neighbor kid, who was 10 years older than me, was really into martial arts, and he showed me a Bali-song knife, and I never forgot the butterfly logo, and would always equate it with quality. Didn't actually discover the Benchmade brand until 15 years later.

Last edited:
Couldn't afford any decent knives back then, had some Frost Cutlery knives, a decent slip joint or two etc.

I still have my Buck 110 and an almost identical appearing low serial number Schrade from the 1970s and several Gerbers from the late 1980s IIRC. The Gerbers include a Parabellum and another bolt action folder along with a couple of fixed blade daggers.

Sorry, but that one is from this century. The Boye dent wasn't added until 2001. Some of these are from the 80s, though.

sorry, yeah I knew that was a new iteration, but the overall design is from the eighties, wasn't going to go searching for an old pic. still in love with your collection.

by the way what is with the "switch" on that Camillus Stockman?

I used to carry one of these 007 knives back in the early 80's

They were sold in bodegas all over New York City, inexpensive and opened with a quick flick of the wrist :p

kgrhqrhie8itnqtncbpvruvswfg60_57-jpg.jpeg

Yeah ... I didn't know any better :foot:

I believe that is actually a "LOO" knife, as writing on the handle is supposed to be presented with the edge facing down while opened ;)

Back during the 1980s we all craved:
1) The original Cold Steel Tanto, as featured in every issue of Soildier of Fortune.
2) A hollow handled survival knife - either the original Lyle or Crain versions or one of the production knives by Buck (184), Gerber (BMF), AL Mar, Randall, Chris Reeves, or the rest.

n2s

The Survivor....and that cheesy commercial...ugh. The Survivor!! You can SURVIVE with it! Comes complete with bottle-capper! Matches, hooks, and fishing line sold separately. Lol.....now I feel really, really, really OLD!

I had one as a kid and carried it all around the woods and the neighborhood. Mine had a wire cutter AND a built in sling shot, signal mirror etc.

It may be in my garage somewhere LOL.

Big names I remember from the 80s who are less known now
Paul Fox
Rod Chapelle
Jot Singh Khalsa

AG Russel also had the one-hand steel-frame opener
And Rigid had some nice knives

Man, the "007"..... They came in all sizes.... that's a nice trip down Memory Lane. I remember the flea markets having the "707", we called them rip-offs of the 007.
Great thread!

I used to carry one of these 007 knives back in the early 80's

They were sold in bodegas all over New York City, inexpensive and opened with a quick flick of the wrist :p

kgrhqrhie8itnqtncbpvruvswfg60_57-jpg.jpeg

Yeah ... I didn't know any better :foot:

Wow! My father's told me about those. Never seen one before. I tried to avoid those bodegas due to the kind of people who tend to hang out in front of them. Creeped me out.

Somebody mentioned the early CS knives, for sure! I remember the adds in Black Belt magazine, the guy cutting free hanging rope and the barbell hanging from the handle. My cousin had the Buckmaster as his dad was a staunch Buck collector. All the boys I knew who were my age had some sort of hollow handled knife, I still have mine circa 1982.

Back