The 858OT Lumberjack came in both High Carbon and Stainless Steel,1978-86.

G'day, The 858OT Lumberjack has always been a favorite of mine and I reckon should have been more popular than it was with horse and cattle folk because of its strength and size, but it seems its little brother the 8OT Senior Stockman stole all the limelight and Schrade only produced the Lumberjack from 1978 to 1986.They described it as a pocket knife but like the 51OT Big Timer LB it was more of a pocket buster....the 858OT has always been rather scarce to secure maybe because so many got used/abused?...and 8 years not a long production period for Schrade...consequently they tend to be dearer to purchase second hand than the 8OT......a knife that tends to appreciate in value because relatively few are put up for sale...
What is unusual about it they were introduced as High Carbon Steel in 1978 and then went to Schrade+ Stainless Steel and then back to HIgh Carbon Steel again....like the smaller Stockman series all had High Carbon Steel....
Here are photos of both models with Stainless Steel and HCS.....together with its "little brother" the 8OT Senior for comparison of size.....also note its distinctive Old Timer shield different to all the other Stockman Series....
Something else interesting in the 858OT box was a survey that if you sent it back to Schrade you would get a free sharpening stone..<refer photos>...Schrade were'nt backward in asking the questions they even wanted to know your income!........knife demographics back then........Hoo Roo

Attachments

• PA110010.jpg
    PA110010.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 94
  • PA110001.jpg
    PA110001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 117
  • PA110005.jpg
    PA110005.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 106
  • PA110006.jpg
    PA110006.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 105
  • PA110007.jpg
    PA110007.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
and the survey questions.....

Attachments

• PA110008.jpg
    PA110008.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 42
  • PA110009.jpg
    PA110009.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 39
  • PA110002.jpg
    PA110002.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 46
I've always loved larger knives, I make it a habit to never purchase a folder less than 4 1/4" long, and I have to admit, that Lumberjack looks mighty fine!

Thanks for the post Larry, especially the good pictures. Both tang stamps are represented in my collection, but I had no idea the chronology.

Can someone measure the shield on their 858? Mine is missing and I'd like to find a replacement. Thank you so much.

I would say 1 1/8 long. or 28mm. and about 5/32 wide.

Last edited:
I have handled a few examples of this pattern. The ones I have seen without the 'plus' sign (which indicates stainless) ALSO were stainless steel. And all examples I have handled had weak springs. I still like them very well.

2w4k6wz.jpg

I have handled a few examples of this pattern. The ones I have seen without the 'plus' sign (which indicates stainless) ALSO were stainless steel. And all examples I have handled had weak springs. I still like them very well.

I have five of these 858OTs, and agree with all of the above.

Definitely a man's knife!! Schrade did a good job matching this knife with the title "Lumberjack"

Quote Ken " I think we have found, all the blades were stainless steel"......what does that refer to Ken?.... are you suggesting none of the blades were High Carbon Steel?....Hoo Roo

Quote Ken " I think we have found, all the blades were stainless steel"......what does that refer to Ken?.... are you suggesting none of the blades were High Carbon Steel?....Hoo Roo

QUOTE from Tongueriver: "I have handled a few examples of this pattern. The ones I have seen without the 'plus' sign (which indicates stainless) ALSO were stainless steel."

The flyer I posted indicates the 858OT had High Carbon Steel blades.

What dose High Carbon Steel mean? Schrade's Stainless Steel has a high carbon content. :confused::confused::confused:
I have not seen an 858OT with a darken High Carbon Steel blade. :confused:
Larry, maybe you have an 858OT with High Carbon Steel blades .
If so, please post a photo...
How can we tell the 858OTs with the High Carbon Steel blades. Ken

Last edited:
It looks like Schrade used their High Carbon Steel for the blades in the 858OTs.
Some with and some with-out the "+ Tang Stamp"
Their "High Carbon Steel was the Stainless +"
To date: I have not seen an 858OT with the 1095 High Carbon Steel.

Last edited:
From Schrade's 'Handbook of Knife Knowledge and Terms'....."We use AISI 1095 High Carbon Steel in our Old Timer Knives..except where noted.this is a very traditional cutlery steel which has carbon content of between 0.95% and 1.05%. AISI1095 high carbon steel is famous for its edge holding ability and resharpening ease.......alternatively we use AISI 440A Stainless Steel on our Uncle Henry and Heritage lines...knives with this AISI 440A steel will have Schrade+ in their tang stamping. 440A gets its stainless properties from the inclusion of 17% chrome with .7% carbon in the steel...we have found that 440A is equally as good a cutlery steel as 1095, as well as having the added benefit of a high degree of stain and rust resistance."

If you are able to tell the 1095HC from the Schrade+ on mint 858OT knives simply by looking, and not testing on meats or fruits, & without looking at tang stampings, then 'you're a better man than me Gungadin'.......I'll just take Schrade's word for it when they say they used both on the 858OT's...in different time frames..which is what I quoted in the opening thread some 6 years ago......Hoo Roo

Last edited:
I reckon both blade versions are shown in first photo line on this thread.

Robert Clemente in his book 'A Catalog History of Schrade Knives Uncle Henry and Old Timer' page 89...states Old Timer 858OT Lumberjack 1978 to 1986.....'High Carbon Steel blades, then Stainless Steel, then HCS'........is he wrong as well Gungadin?......Hoo Roo

Back