The 858OT Lumberjack came in both High Carbon and Stainless Steel,1978-86.

I reckon both blade versions are shown in first photo line on this thread.

Robert Clemente in his book 'A Catalog History of Schrade Knives Uncle Henry and Old Timer' page 89...states Old Timer 858OT Lumberjack 1978 to 1986.....'High Carbon Steel blades, then Stainless Steel, then HCS'........is he wrong as well Gungadin?......Hoo Roo
If someone says something in a book, it must be right.
So my 858OTs must all be those High Carbon Steel knives, in the book.

I had one and sold it on. I don't remember the blade steel. Perhaps Larry VIckery does as he saw it in hand.

I don't even understand the question...let alone the answer.....good to hear from you Codge....Hoo Roo

I don't even understand the question...let alone the answer.....good to hear from you Codge....Hoo Roo
The question is, why do some 858OTs have stainless blades and no "+" stamped on the main blade?
Why do some people say they have not seen an 858OT with 1095 steel blades.:confused:
Larry has a book, and the book says the 858OT had High Carbon Blades - what ever that means.:confused:

So if some people say that, it must be right...eh?.....I always backed up my suppositions with photo displays through the years.....talk is just that..talk......Hoo Roo

Clemente's book is accurate per it's title. "A catalog history of..". It is based upon what appeared in the catalogs, having examined the catalogs in his collection. Not all OT/UH knives which were stainless had the "+" mark. All OT/UH knives with the "+" mark were stainless. Some patterns were 1095HC and then later changed to stainless. Some were always stainless.

Posts 18 & 20 of this Thread, tell me all I need to know or worry about with the blade steel on the 858OT Lumberjack......
Ken,... that was 4 years ago mate and you're still arguing, get over it, and move on......Schrade made many, many more knives with factual/proven anomalies....I'm just happy they made decent knives that I use every day of my life for different purposes with different steels for purpose.....Hoo Roo

Posts 18 & 20 of this Thread, tell me all I need to know or worry about with the blade steel on the 858OT Lumberjack......
Ken,... that was 4 years ago mate and you're still arguing, get over it, and move on......Schrade made many, many more knives with factual/proven anomalies....I'm just happy they made decent knives that I use every day of my life for different purposes with different steels for purpose.....Hoo Roo
Larry, I did not bring this question up again. However, we know Schrade "made many, many more knives" because you told us so. Codger, has told us 38,785 were shipped in 1977 - I just want to see one rust old 858OT with a rusty old blade.
Until then your book may be wrong... Ken
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=68743

Last edited:
No need to be faectious Ken, I added 'with factual/proven anomalies'..but you chose not to include that, too clever by half...
I bow to your extensive Schrade brochure knowledge Ken, most of which I provided to you in the first place by CD being the result of Codger & Larry V prior research....and most of the other factual material you re-gurgitate here is the result of Codger/Larry V/ and myself prior research...plus you now have more than a few of my Schrade blades you show, even using my photos of them I supplied to you, at times....I've found through the years, every time a Schrade Expert believes they have all the answers 'Schrade The Company' inevitably tips them up as there were so many,many, many, anomolies...however all this discussion keeps this site alive, and for that I'm grateful...plus I have no desire to see any rusty USA Schrade blade, as its not how I care to remember them.....Hoo Roo.

Last edited:
G'day, The 858OT Lumberjack has always been a favorite of mine and I reckon should have been more popular than it was with horse and cattle folk because of its strength and size, but it seems its little brother the 8OT Senior Stockman stole all the limelight and Schrade only produced the Lumberjack from 1978 to 1986.They described it as a pocket knife but like the 51OT Big Timer LB it was more of a pocket buster...
I'm not so sure about the "pocket buster" accusation ... IMHO, at only just 4 5/16 inch closed, it is near "perfect" for loose in the pants pocket EDC. That's how I carry mine. My pockets are not wore out/holed yet. :D
Then again, I've a life long to date and counting, preference for the over 3 7/8 ~ 4 inch closed stockman. I've zero use or desire for the 34OT/ Buck 303 size, and/or smaller. The "medium", "small", and "tiny" stockman feel and look ... "delicate" ... even though I know they ain't necessarily so.
"Perception is Reality." as the ancient pre-historic (possibly pre-Neanderthal age/era) adage goes.

L Larry303 , An Question for you, Young Sir:
Were the 858's that came with a sheath tang stamped "858OTS" or "858OT"?

Last edited:
440A is a "High Carbon" stainless steel.
The "Schrade+" was not on all the 858's.
However, they ALL were equipped with 440A blades.

Don't mistake "High Carbon Steel" for "Carbon Steel".
"High Carbon Steel" can be and is stainless OR non-stainless.
The term has been advertising jargon for decades.
ANY quality steel knife blade is "High Carbon".

Back