THE ECAM Scales thread

Here's mine. Pretty dark example and I'd say it can look darker or lighter in real life depending on lighting. I was never a "safe queen" kinda guy but I just can't bring myself to use it because it's just way too pretty lol My black canvas micarta, on the other hand, is a sharp hammer.

IMG_20200302_161005.jpg

Kickass blades guys. I was hoping someone could explain the draw of the AECM to me please?

I just dont get it. It looks like canvas micarta to me.

I'm not hatin'. Trying to learn to be appreciatin'.

Zero from a performance standpoint. Sometimes it's hard to tell in photos but the "grain" of the material is very unique. It also has a wide variety of coloring and patterns. Long and short... It looks really neat and is a cpk staple.

Kickass blades guys. I was hoping someone could explain the draw of the AECM to me please?

I just dont get it. It looks like canvas micarta to me.

I'm not hatin'. Trying to learn to be appreciatin'.

The AECM aka ECAM (Nathan probably needs to express as to which one is more correct) has a much wider color gamut as compared to the plain natural micarta which I don't even think is edge-cut. While this may not matter in the practical aspect for user knives, to many of us who collect and would like to own something which feels like semi-custom, this makes a lot of difference and hence the reason why we pay more.

CPKs basic micarta handles are superb deals, no denial in that: best bang for the buck. But another allure for the ECAM is that although not 100% verified, the block which Nathan had scored could very well be old enough to be Westighouse. Again, a chance well worth taking for the "collectors". As for user ECAM, most of them will turn dark and the those gorgeous streaks within blend in with extended use and oxidization but I imagine that it will also clean up really well by taking some good cleaning protocols.

There is no way to really know for certain who made the micarta because it is being cut from material that has already been machined into a shape, but I believe it is probably Westinghouse because that is who would have made micarta for an application like this back in the 50's 60's when the boat builder was using it for prop shaft bearings. That and it looks like known samples of Westinghouse.

westinghouse.jpg~original

The appeal of having real Westinghouse micarta is the widely held consensus (which I agree with) that they made the best material. You can tell the difference by looking at the load meter when you cut it and by the way it doesn't pickup grit when you sand it, and it can be buffed cleaner and taking a finer finish. It is obviously better resin impregnated and it's harder. It isn't as opaque either, due to less filler and regrind, which shows off the textile better and gives a certain glow. Despite being old it still reeks of formaldehyde when you machine it where one of the telltale signs of cheep import material is it doesn't stink much.

Being older than most of us, that fiber has turned yellow giving the material an attractive golden hue. So the long and the short is, it is pretty and it is a better material than can be purchased today, they simply don't make it like they used to. <--- does that justify the additional cost? No, probably not. There's nothing wrong with the American made Accurate Acculam material we use on our standard scales. It's much better than the import materials and even the Norplex material (who bought the Micarta name). It's the best material you can buy today. If there were something better I'd be using it. But some people want the best (period), and Westinghouse was the best and nobody has displaced them.

I wish I'd never seen this thread.....

If it makes you feel better, I'm getting a UF with "normal" micarta and NOT aecm for reasons stated above (aecm is too pretty, worried I'll damage the stuff, it feels too historic to use). As Nathan said, the modern micarta he uses is still high quality stuff. I'm sure the quality of AECM is only marginally better and most people will not notice a difference in performance (that's if anyone actually abuses their AECM scales...).

If I could afford two UF's, I'd get one in normal micarta to use and one with AECM to keep in pristine condition. I just wish my pockets were so deep :rolleyes:

I understand. Thanks!

I wish I'd never seen this thread.....

Au contraire, you should be VERY happy that you saw this thread because you still have a chance to pinch some pennies and order a CPK with ECAM scales. I think that Nathan still has a pretty healthy supply of that block and if so, you will have time on your side, but don't drag on because one day they will be all gone and that day, will be a very sad one indeed :(

Au contraire, you should be VERY happy that you saw this thread because you still have a chance to pinch some pennies and order a CPK with ECAM scales. I think that Nathan still has a pretty healthy supply of that block and if so, you will have time on your side, but don't drag on because one day they will be all gone and that day, will be a very sad one indeed :(

Sigh do I need to update my order with Jo...

Back