The Alan Davis custom knife picture thread

d.r.h.

starik
Platinum Member
I figured that since I own a bunch of Alan's knives, I would just change the title of this thread and make it into an Alan Davis knife picture thread. So, if you have any of Alan's knives and wish to post a picture here, that would be great. We can then have one place to go to see all of Alan's creations. Below is the latest one I received. Over time, will post pics of the rest of my Davis knives.

(Update 3/15/2017: This beauty has a new home)

Here is a real beauty. While I have knives with various handle material .... I am really a wood guy! Love a beautiful wood. When Alan listed this sweet Ironwood burl, all I could say was wow! Less than 15 minutes after he listed her ..... she was mine! The blade is 3.5 inches of Alabama Damascus which Alan parkerized, giving it really great contrast. The carbon fiber bolsters really go well with the presentation grade Ironwood and really make it pop! As with all of Alan's folders .... it is buttery smooth and flies open.

FVCjeAR.jpg

Last edited:
Changed the name and purpose of this thread. Should come as no surprise that I love Alan's knives. Decided to make this into an Alan Davis picture thread. If you have one of Alan's knives, feel free to post it here so we can have one place to go to view all of his custom-made beauties.

Thanks for posting those Paul. I remember that giveaway. It was in Oct of 2012, right about the time I bought my first of Alan's knives ... this little Mammoth bark/Mokume/Damascus linerlock. (Update: This knife was gifted to another BF member in December 2014).

WmNA2J8.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my latest Alan Davis .... a sweet linerlock featuring a 3" CTS-XHP blade, Texas Mesquite burl scales and M3 bolsters. The combination of materials used creates a really stunning little folder. And, as I told Alan, like Mesquite, as I have a personal relationship with it ... having been pricked by more Mesquite thorns than I care to remember!!!

xzgIMNT.jpg

jJ99Ptz.jpg

Apco8WC.jpg

OZrsZUf.jpg

Last edited:
[UPDATE, 1 Apr 16: This one has been gifted to a friend]

Here's another of my Davis knives. Got this one in October of 2013. It has a 3.25" Alabama Damascus blade with matching bolsters and Mammoth bark ivory scales. What really attracted me to this folder was the fact that the swirl pattern on the presentation side of the blade was a pretty close match to the pattern on the presentation side bolster. Of course, there is a lot more to love about this folder ... but I really like those swirls!!

FQYyqOn.jpg

Last edited:
(This one has been gifted)

Here is a slightly larger folder from Alan I got in July of 2013. It features a 3.5" Alabama Damascus blade with beautiful Masur Birch scales. What I like most about this folder is the way the grain in the scales complements the Damascus pattern.

ptD2fH3.jpg

Last edited:
Update: This one has a new home.

Here's a really nice one featuring blue-dyed curly maple scales and a 3.438" Damascus blade forged from 1095 & 15n20. Got this one from Alan in October of 2013.

hFwvvcr.jpg

8K5iue9.jpg

Last edited:
Let's start the weekend off with this little beauty I got from Alan in February of 2014. As you can see, it has really nice crackle Mammoth bark ivory scales. This slender flipper has a 2.875 inch blade of 1084 steel with a great hamon. I was going to have Alan put a slender clip on this one, but, in the end, decided to carry in in a small pocket slip case.

cOjfTdT.jpg

QQzp4xb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I am hoping others contribute to this thread, because I know there some real beauties out there that Alan has made!! It would be nice to have one place to look at them all.

(Update: 10/22/2016 ... this one has been gifted)

Picked this blue beauty up from Alan in December of 2013. The blue twill is really vibrant in person and goes well with the 3 1/16 inch Devin Thomas spirograph Damascus blade. Love everything about this one except for the clip. I may eventually have it replaced with a Ti clip. I have a few knives with carbon fiber clips and find that they just don't grip as well as steel or Ti.

kEfSDjR.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread Dennis! All of Alan's work is spectacular but the first one you posted, the ironwood/carbon fiber/Alabama damascus is stunning!

I'll have to go back and recount how many of his I have, mostly fixed blades and only two (was three) folders, but no where close to your 23! I'll start with my favorite - one I had Alan make specifically for me:

Odig3M8.jpg

hAXFw9W.jpg

4W1UDPZ.jpg

txgeGIY.jpg

I'll add more when I get some time to take pics..

- Shane

Update: This one has a new home!

Madrone burl with a 2.5" Alabama Damascus blade.

QMmD1FW.jpg

hPmIdaI.jpg

I call this one my baby snake.

Last edited:
(Update: 10/27/2016 ... this one has been gifted)

Received my newest Davis folder today. Had to give this one a little thought, since I already have one of Alan's folders with ironwood burl scales. This one, however has a different shape than the others in my collection AND I loved the blade (a hair over 3 inches and made Chad Nichols' high carbon Damascus in his Cheetah pattern). Alan also parkerized the blade. It has a really rich contrast to it. This one makes for a great little gent's folder and a conversation piece for sure.

y0HLqXh.jpg

Last edited:
(Update 12/7/2017: This beauty has a new home)

This one just arrived today and all I can say is ... WOW. As I told Alan, I was not prepared for how incredibly stunning this one is. Mainly bought it because the materials Alan used were different enough from the rest of the pieces in my collection. Really glad I didn't let this one slip by. The blade is 3.25" of Stellite 6K, which Alan stonewashed. The scales are from a material which is just starting to make its way into knife making ... copper shred carbon fiber (basically shreds of carbon fiber which is then infused into sheets with copper powder). Really looks sharp under the right lighting.

0bU5zcL.jpg

Last edited:
Back