The Alan Davis custom knife picture thread

Wow does that ever pop with the orange! Very nice buster, was that made special for you?

Here's a nice one I got from Alan in June of 2013. Blade is 3.375" of Alabama Damascus and scales are California buckeye burl.

uz3YWsq.jpg

lk2V8p4.jpg

yYnCZDi.jpg

Last edited:
Got a call from Alan today, he's finishing mine up. Should be here next week. I'm taking a slight detour from my slipjoint obsession. Y'all have some great looking knives!

I made a random call to Alan at the end of June to talk knives and to get info about getting on his list for one of his knives. As luck would have it, someone had just backed out of a build job so Alan had a blade already made. He asked me if I wanted to use the already made blade and he'd build the rest to my specifications. What luck! I was really drawn to Alan's knives because they looked very traditional with a rustic appeal. Coming from the slipjoint world, Alan's work seemed like a good fit for my tastes but with a few modern additions. I asked Alan to make me one using some of his presentation grade ironwood, nuggetize the frame, and stonewash the elmax blade. Here's what showed up in the mail today! I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking :)

Edit: This one has a new home.

Here's a great EDC folder I got from Alan in March of this year. Blade is 3.375" of 52100 and has been stone washed and parkerized by Alan. Scales are a beautiful blue dyed sycamore.

CdYG2LL.jpg

FrD665q.jpg

W0T81uZ.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one I picked up from Alan a couple weeks ago. Wonderful gent's folder featuring a 3.1875" Chad Nichols Damascus blade in his lizard pattern. Scales are giraffe bone and bolsters M3 composite. Alan did some really great file work and anodizing on this one; giving the back strap and clip a purple over bronze color. As I told Alan, I used to be able to answer the question ... "Which is your favorite Davis folder?" However, it is now pretty difficult to narrow it down to only one!!!

LsP2rDw.jpg

m2YgKjT.jpg

a0Pp2zQ.jpg

3QvJC4P.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one of my special frame locks. Was very fortunate to snag the first frame lock Alan using a Timascus frame. Believe he's only made one other out of Timascus (at least that I know about). Got this one in August of 2013. It features a 3.375" Chad Nichols Frenzy pattern Damanscus blade to go along with that nice looking Timascus. While I much prefer liner locks over frame locks .... this one is a joy to own (as are a few of the other frame locks of Alan's that I own).

oc4FprY.jpg

pdUh2A0.jpg

M8a82BH.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I was going to post one of my older Alan Davis knives this week ...... HOWEVER, just received this beauty from Alan and decided it needed to be shown off immediately! Every knife that Alan makes is simply outstanding. This new one has a rustic look that I really like. It features amber dyed Sambar Stag scales, M3 composite bolsters and a 3.375" Zoe Crist Damascus blade in his new Blackhawk pattern. Trust me, my pics do not do this knife justice.

RoxN2Uy.jpg

9lZx7SJ.jpg

Y6lHNl1.jpg

Jc4n2Ks.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning stag Dennis! I was hoping you would snag that one. I'm still holding out for a smaller flipper :)

(Update 6/16/17: This one has been gifted)

My contribution for this week.

Here is a really sweet and slender gent's folder I picked up from Alan in February 2014. It has a 3 inch blade from Rob Calcinore's Turkish Checkerboard pattern Damascus and beautiful box elder burl scales that could almost be mistaken for buckeye burl. Great file work on the back spacer and blade spine add to the knife's beauty.

P0jebCo.jpg

Last edited:
I want to be a part of this "club"!:love-struck:
Dennis,
Do these fine knives come with a superpower of excellent photography skills?

Update: 10/9/2021 This one has a new home.

Here's a quite unique frame lock I picked up from Alan back in January 2014. To say it took Alan many, many hours to heat anodize the carved Ti scales would be an understatement!! Really like how it came out. Blade is 3.25" of 1095 & 15n20 Damascus.

S37vJef.jpg

m3DRqfI.jpg

vpLw0Ja.jpg

ZZQyneS.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a flipper with Desert Iron Wood and a CPM154 stone wash blade I picked up recently.

717olh.jpg

(Update 5/24/2018: This beauty has a new home)

This is the first frame lock I purchased from Alan in January of 2013. It's one of his rattlesnake motif knives. Frame is beautifully anodized and sculpted Ti. Blade is a 3.25" of random pattern Admiral Damascus.

6M7c5Do.jpg

Last edited:
My contribution for the week is the latest folder I got from Alan, which arrived last week. This sweet little folder features Hawaiian mango scales and a 3.125" Alabama Damascus blade. The gold anodized liners and clip accent the wood exceptionally well.

VZDO4U5.jpg

Ec1SXwV.jpg

jFQiXMc.jpg

GzCitIr.jpg

Last edited:
Back