• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

The all seeing eye of Google

knifeswapper

Knife Peddler
Google has updated their policy that no company selling knives will be able to place product ads with them or advertise in their sponsored ads (the ones at the top of the page). Talk about dictating their own misguided justice....

They are gradually suspending sites that violate their guidelines. But I expect those that bring them significant revenue will be afforded a loophole when the time comes. Amazon, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, etc. etc.

Last edited:
When business and politics mix, the result is always a twisted mess. Now I am not talking about the politics of business, which is a whole different matter. I have been using Bing search as an alternative for some time now. Google has far too many ads and offers a mindnumbingly gross amount of junk results for my taste anyway.

When business and politics mix, the result is always a twisted mess. Now I am not talking about the politics of business, which is a whole different matter. I have been using Bing search as an alternative for some time now. Google has far too many ads and offers a mindnumbingly gross amount of junk results for my taste anyway.

I've been using Bing for quite a while now too. Before that I usually used Yahoo. I've never really been a fan of the Google format for results. Things like this certainly don't make me want to use Google more now.,

This started about 6 months ago ~ several Knife Dealers reported the same, some were spending several Hundred $ per month and Google cut them off.

No but evidently if you have an ESEE anywhere on your site, they whole website is banned....

Weapon selling rascal you.

What are they thinking?

Like was said, I run ghostery and don't see google ads anyway.

Have you talked to Doug Ritter? Member of Knife Rights? We need to get him and our organization on their case.

best

mqqn

Weapon selling rascal you.

What are they thinking?

Like was said, I run ghostery and don't see google ads anyway.

Have you talked to Doug Ritter? Member of Knife Rights? We need to get him and our organization on their case.

best

mqqn

So when you do a google search (for example: great eastern cutlery), you don't see the "sponsored" ad at the top of the page? And you don't see the periodic google shopping products on the right column of the google page?

So when you do a google search (for example: great eastern cutlery), you don't see the "sponsored" ad at the top of the page? And you don't see the periodic google shopping products on the right column of the google page?

Nope!

Screenshot2015-01-17at71402PM.png~original

~ P.

That is correct. Speeds up my browser too - on many pages you are waiting for ads to load from sites not on the server that is feeding your target page.

I thank Mack for turning me on to Ghostery .

best

mqqn

Couple of years ago one of my research students gave a short talk on why he thought Google is an evil. I'm rapidly coming over to his way of thinking......

I swore off Google long ago. They are totally political. And they know too damn much about users. Stop using them now. Go to Bing

Do we know that Bing is really any different than Google? Not sayin' they are or aren't, just wondering.

I have heard good reviews on DuckDuckGo, a new search engine on the horizon that doesn't track it's users. This thread gives me all the more reason to try them out... https://duckduckgo.com/

I swore off Google long ago. They are totally political. And they know too damn much about users. Stop using them now. Go to Bing

More power to them. If they can sort out the wheat from the chaff amongst my searches (ZT 0620; Spyderco Salt; midget; 0x800ccc0d; bccode101; donkey; leatherman sideclip; weather portland oregon; m276nw drivers), I say, knock themselves out.

Back