The Ancient Khopesh Sword of the Nile

Archer Here

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of our featured swords this week: Ancient Khopesh Sword of the Nile. Thought we’d share some pictures of it.

Ancient Khopesh Sword of the Nile

Shop Details:
1095 High Carbon Spring Steel. Steel is Heat Hardened & quenched in oil. Heat Tempered @ 500 degrees for 2 hours, and letting it air cool.

Measurements:
Total Length = 25 ½ “
Blade Length = 17 “
Blade Width = 1 5/8 “
Blade Thickness = 3/16 “
Handle Length = 8 ½ “
Handle Width = 1 3/8 “
Handle: Maple & Steel
Weight = 2.8 lbs

Pictures below. Thanks.

Fcf0XZx.jpg

iTPSVtC.jpg

7vOYcNe.jpg

TFyAxNA.jpg

W0iQlQw.jpg

2eLjWkf.jpg

6XxPNuO.jpg

9z7pHXX.jpg

That’s a beauty! I really like how the hook-like part at the bottom mirrors the top of the blade.

Was that type of sword very strong to withstand combat in the ancient world? With the curves I wonder if there are stress points? Just curious.

Was that type of sword very strong to withstand combat in the ancient world? With the curves I wonder if there are stress points? Just curious.

I assume as popular it was in ancient times, it was great for combat. I do believe the hook on the blade was meant for pulling down your enemies shield. As far as it being tough, my blades are extremely durable. I have several durability test videos out there. Here's one:

These swords were made from bronze typically in historical contexts. Curved swords like Talwars and Sabres work fine without being weak due to stress points.

Historically they looked like this. Just like the “viking sword” was actually ubiquitous throughout Dark Age Europe the “Egyptian Khopesh” was all over North East Africa and the Israeli/Syria Levant area.
7741194_orig.jpg

Khopesh_18th_cent_BC_Shechem_Palastine_electrum_inlays2.jpg.2b8760f58346e37b768df7ab65a7a17e.jpg

Archer Here Archer Here awesome take on this bronze age sword!

Thanks. Are the photos above an actual time period Khopesh?

These swords were made from bronze typically in historical contexts. Curved swords like Talwars and Sabres work fine without being weak due to stress points.

Historically they looked like this. Just like the “viking sword” was actually ubiquitous throughout Dark Age Europe the “Egyptian Khopesh” was all over North East Africa and the Israeli/Syria Levant area.
7741194_orig.jpg

Khopesh_18th_cent_BC_Shechem_Palastine_electrum_inlays2.jpg.2b8760f58346e37b768df7ab65a7a17e.jpg

Archer Here Archer Here awesome take on this bronze age sword!
Thank you sir.

Thanks. Are the photos above an actual time period Khopesh?

Yes, since they are made from bronze which does not corrode in the same way as iron based metals it is not uncommon for bronze era weapons to be in better condition than more historically recent iron or steel weapons.

I have heard that we have lost the secret of how the ancient peoples hardened the edge of bronze, any truth to that? Were the bronze weapons able to stay sharp?

Back