The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

Bucktool, that is a darn nice 10 pt. buck. His body is large. I find it interesting how guys in different areas count the points on a rack. All good. DM

Thank you David. The rack is nice, but we are glad to have the meat. One buck lasts my wife and I about a year. Out west we count points on one side only.

I live out west and some do and some don't. Still, he would likely tip the scales at 200 lbs. field dressed. Which a hundred and fifty lbs. of meat
will last a while and I make a lot of jerky. DM

Guys, not trying to be a know-it-all but from my training as a wildlife biologist, knowledge of record books and knowledge of game agencies . White-tailed deer are counted for total legal points. And Mule Deer, from the west are counted on one side only. Black-tails of NW , Sitka of Alaska and Coues of AZ are all counted as total points also. Everyone always counts the biggest side....ha 300Bucks

OK so after all the discussion I will post a picture of my finished "10" point buck.

mCQjsHu.jpg

Buck, thanks. That is such a nice deer, I would put something by it that lends a reference to size. DM

Just for addition, there are Typical racks and Atypical. Typicals don't have any 'sticker' points or other odd points. The camera hides a point on both sides but that rack is a good beamed typical which will score high. Look up antler scoring on computer. I will guess the shaft at the base will be near 6 inches around. 300

Last edited:
Here’s what a 240# KY white tail looks like “on the hoof”.
B99C9665-86B6-4918-83F0-20DCFE503391.jpeg

And here’s what he looks like on the ground.
FF884C03-BC92-49E7-841C-59B2E260C4B4.jpeg

I shot this guy the day after he was on the camera a few years ago. He was the first to cross my path that morning. Double lung and heart with a .45-70 from 35 yards and he still ran off about 80 yards.

What knife did you use to field dress him? The .45-70 has returned in popularity among hunters. Running close to a muzzle loader and a shotgun with sabot slugs. DM

I’m pretty sure it was an old 440c 118 but could have been a 560. I always have a 110 variant in my belt and the 118 in my pack.

I have rifles for all occasions. Varmints at 400+ yards to big game up close. That 1895g in .45-70 is by far my favorite for anything under 150 yards.

I’m pretty sure it was an old 440c 118 but could have been a 560. I always have a 110 variant in my belt and the 118 in my pack.

I have rifles for all occasions. Varmints at 400+ yards to big game up close. That 1895g in .45-70 is by far my favorite for anything under 150 yards.

I don't blame you. The big boomers are fun. The Quigley Effect.

:)

Beautiful buck and great pix. Thanks for sharing them.

I've found myself being interested in the .45-70. Knew a guy here in VT that hunted whitetail with the Guide Gun about 15+ years ago. Thought it was a bit of overkill at the time, until I learned more about the cartridge.

I purchased mine 8-10 years ago after much research. I have a rifle with enough energy to take down deer, elk, bear, and dinosaurs. I opted for XS Sights ghost ring and post combo to keep it an iron sights gun. I get 100 yard groups 2" or less with these sights and Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. I can hand the rifle to just about anyone and they can break a clay pigeon at 100 yards with their first shot. For the ground I hunt, which is usually heavily wooded, brush covered, and hilly; it's the best tool for the job. If I'm hunting fields or have to go over 100 yards, I have other tools for that. I don't think I'd change anything about it. The loop gets a little tight for a gloved hand, but I tried the "big-loop" and it was too sloppy without gloves on so I put the stock loop back on.

Good hunt Tony. Better watch it, -- you've got some work to do. Did you skin, quarter & bone her out w/ the Titan? DM

This one is going to a processor first thing this morning. I've got my year end review this afternoon with my boss's boss, then 12 hour night tonight and the next 3 nights. I am splitting the meat with the landowner who happens to be a producer of some of the largest outdoor (and gun) shows in the Midwest...not to mention a great guy. I couldn't ask for a better situation.

Back