The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

A tree fell behind my house. That 170 is 30" long and its not at the bottom of the tree. The woods around this tree are so thick I didn't even know it was there. A real shame.

I think I'll need a bigger saw :) It may not be big to you folks in the Pacific NW but here on the Texas prairie its a big tree.

No, not cutting it up. It's so deep in the woods I'd have to pay a dozer to clear to it and it is just a cottonwood. It's still a shame to see a tree that size die and rot. Some of the limbs are 24-30" in diameter. As big as many trees. I have an echo with a 28" bar but it's still probably not enough to cut a cookie out of it but I may try when I find some time.

The Stihl 170 i showed in the pic is perhaps my favorite tool. It's a constant companion as I move about my place and try to reclaim land. I built this carpenter style tote that always travels with me. In the tote I have the tools, a brush, oil bottle, a gas can, diesel based poison can and a bottle to refill it. The 2 beer bottles contain gas mix and oil for the saw. I put one in each pocket to extend my range. Works out well.

Last edited:
I made a smaller version just like that for carpenter tools, hand saw fit to side like the chain saw. Made it lone enough for a 24 in level. I have crosscut cottonwoods and made end tables and foot stools. The trick is getting the slab level from the start. I have a couple of slabs drying now. I cover the cut sides with latex paint to slow drying so they don't crack as bad. I have a oblong slab of about 30 in that dried without a single crack. They also make great hanging slabs to drill holes in to attract wood boring bee's. They are pollinators just like honey bees. Look this idea up on internet, some folks do yard art with their bee slabs. 300

image.jpeg image.jpeg Earlier today the wife and i were out running a few errands. By chance the restaurant the wife picked for lunch was across the street from a good sized antique store. We decided to check it out after we had eaten. I really didn't want to go but I know that she enjoys looking through them so I agreed we should go. Im really glad i did.
I found this gently used 422 with sheath for $22. I couldn't pay the man fast enough. This one is identical to the one i had when i was a kid. Im really happy that we found it.
Unfortunately my 2018 New Years resolution was to not buy any knives this year. I didn't even make it through January. Lol. The wife said not to worry about it.

Some things are just meant to be, glad you found it. Preston

Duck season closes here today, Dutch, my lab, and I went Thursday. This year there haven't been many ducks here where I hunt, but, one slough is/has been good for jumping them and Thursday there were 6-8 mallards sitting right were Dutch and I sneak through the junipers. I always try to take drakes, this time, I dropped the drake and then the hen. Dutch made the retrieves and and we went home happy.

I like to hang game birds, in the garage, for a couple of days and did so with these. Dutch always checks on them when going outside through the garage. He supervised the breasting of these two!

I used the new/old 105 that I tell about/show in the SPS. Preston
003.JPG

pj, a nice photo. Is that the new Browning?
Dang, Tony I look all over out here for those and have only found one. But you can find them. DM

Anyone reading the "Home" series? I think there are seven so far. Best of the SHTF books that I've seen thus far.

IMG_2629 (1024x999).jpg

A tree fell behind my house. That 170 is 30" long and its not at the bottom of the tree. The woods around this tree are so thick I didn't even know it was there. A real shame.

I think I'll need a bigger saw :) It may not be big to you folks in the Pacific NW but here on the Texas prairie its a big tree.
dayum sure would love to get a few wide boards from it !!!

pj, a nice photo. Is that the new Browning?
Dang, Tony I look all over out here for those and have only found one. But you can find them. DM
I found 11 pieces that day. That site has produced lots of goodies. Lots of game/gaming pieces.

Last edited:
Thanks. No, it's a five -six year old Benelli, Super Black Eagle II. They now have the III out. Preston
I've read reviews and they say that model is lite with recoil. Thanks, for showing us your dog and his work. DM

I've read reviews and they say that model is lite with recoil.
Yes, light on the recoil and light to carry. I had/have a Weatherby, Orion, over and under, it was getting to heavy for me to carry all day in the field. It would shoot 3" shells, but this Benelli will shoot 3 1/2"...shooting not much fun with them, but you can reach out and touch late season game birds. Preston

Back