The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

I feel for the people up in the northwest US and western Canada with the record heat wave going on this week. I hope it doesn’t get as bad as they forecast. We had some hot days last week of 100 to a high of 109 but this week is much cooler with daytime highs in the 80s and the next few days they say it’s going to be in the mid 70s.

I hope you all get some rain relief soon and prayers for no fires or any bad stuff till then.

Stay safe and hydrated!

anyone seen the Cowboy lately.....

TAH TAH

hasn't been around in awhile.....hope he's okay or just working his land and too busy to be here.
Hi jb! Thanks for thinking of me. All is good. Just got back from a 2 1/2 week vacation in New Mexico, then busy catching up after returning. Also still recovering from an ATV accident over Memorial Day weekend. Broke 5 ribs. That's no fun at age 60. I'm sticking to horses. While in Santa Fe, I visited a cutlery shop and got to handle a Buck 105 Pro. Even better looking in person. I see why that line is so popular. Hope you're doing well.

Hi jb! Thanks for thinking of me. All is good. Just got back from a 2 1/2 week vacation in New Mexico, then busy catching up after returning. Also still recovering from an ATV accident over Memorial Day weekend. Broke 5 ribs. That's no fun at age 60. I'm sticking to horses. While in Santa Fe, I visited a cutlery shop and got to handle a Buck 105 Pro. Even better looking in person. I see why that line is so popular. Hope you're doing well.
Glad you’re okay and back here!

I’ve had some close calls on my four wheeler but thankfully no bad accidents. It’s been 11 years since I rode horse back and had to stop riding because of my bad back pinching a nerve. I sure miss my horses. It’s strange that I don’t have the same effect on a four wheeler only occasionally.
And yes the 105 pro is a dandy knife. I haven’t had a chance to use it but hoping to this fall hunting.

good to see ya back, Sir. glad ya had some fun on vacation, but sorry ya got hurt. heal up fast......

yep good stuff. I got the 120 pro and have a 119 pro coming my way soon.

I'm good just gettin older, more cranky and uglier is all.😆

Old age sucks huh JB...
I turned 76 a few days ago and keep wondering why I cant get up and get going.
Working around the place that is... Or whatever else too...:(

Old age sucks huh JB...
I turned 76 a few days ago and keep wondering why I cant get up and get going.
Working around the place that is... Or whatever else too...:(
yes Sir. I'm not that old yet, but I feel like I am sometimes.....🤣

Happy Birthday to ya Sir. just over 3/4 a century....makes ya a true battle hardened survivor. impressive.

Reactions: TAH
And Then Grand daughter gently told me I was too old for a hot looking Jeep.
Paused for a few and then said I should give it to her.. o_O

and for some reason it goes oops when I try and post a pic.

My wife KathyJo's Dad is 87 and this year had a bad 4 wheeler accident coming down a mountain from his deer blind bow hunting. He was using a borrowed machine and wasn't used to the throttle. He hit a tree about 45 or more mph and laid in the woods over 4 hours till his buddies finally found him. After a helicopter medevac they found all his ribs on the left side broken, some on the right back broken in 4 places and left arm too..But far far worse was a severe concussion. He refused pain meds for 2 days till the Doc's overruled him. 3 Brain surgery's to lower pressure on the brain..After months in the hospital he went to assisted living and will likely never leave. Never drive again either..Be carful on them guys! I've been married to Kathy for 44 years and have known Bee all my life. For over 20 years I joked with him a jealous husband would kill him or he would fall off a mountain..We will drive up to West Virginia in late August to visit and drive him around to visit his old friends. I'll never get on one myself as I went thru a horrific crash in 1973 . But be carful and wear a helmet. I had a full coverage Bell Star and it saved me from losing the lower half of my face when I went down

He must be a tough guy..... That age, injured that long before being found...
He must have been living right.
Glad to hear he's still around.

Good advice.
Loud pipes my save lives, so do helmets.
The wife has seen evidence of this in surgical rooms..... Night and day difference between the two in sustained injuries.

Last edited:
I was just on the phone talking to him..He IS a tough old guy and he's trying hard to do his therapy so he can possibly live at his house instead of of the assisted living home. Balance issues is the major problem now. When we go up I'm going to set him up with a Uber account so he can order Cracker Barrel and get it delivered to his room. He HATES the green jello and crap food the facility serves. But now that's his only option because he has to have 24 hour care in case he falls or his blood glucose spikes up or down. What I admire most about Bee is his hunting skills. I have never seen anybody else who could slip thru the woods so quietly or sit without moving at all so long. For many years he used a 257 Weatherby and took head shots because he felt the meat would be more tender. I once watched him hit a crow at a lazered 537 yards but I know it was mostly luck..

Ok, We are making a sticky like Traditional Forum where you can expound WITHOUT the requirement of showing or talking about a particular Buck Knife or Buck construction. BUT, I will keep watch for htrolling, bad language, selling, boxing matches, and bad blood playground actions. I would suggest if you want to show a hotrod, back deck you built, stud horse, cows in the field, etc. including a Buck knife in the scene if possible would create more enjoyment. 300Bucks, PIA moderator.
So what is wrong at buck knives ???????????????
I can tell you what is wrong with at least two Buck's and I can tell you that one knife has been waranteed and the other should be. so here goes with the email I sent them

Edited version sent to the warranty email address
Steve Renovo
Mon 7/19/2021 6:39 PM

To The Owners and Staff Of Buck Knives:
RE: Order number: 896445

I purchased a Buck Momentum Pocket knife Directly from Buck and it arrived last week and I finally had some time to sharpen it last evening. Before I go on, I must say – BUCK did a great job on aesthetics, This knife looks awesome closed and even better when opened. The safety for keeping it closed is appreciated and the pocket clip for those that use them is great. The scales are nice and perhaps in the future BUCK will offer variations in scale material.

I also took time to remove the clip and to really examine what I hoped would be my favorite knife for at least a while. However, after doing more work than I wanted to expend it has become an Almost GREAT Knife and has joined the 30 or so other “Almost GREAT Knives” in my knife case of 50 plus knives. My “Almost GREAT Knives” sit in the case far more than they should and are seldom used. At 73 I have been buying a knife or two a year for probably 60 of those years. A few I lost, one was taken away, some became gifts and others are in my knife case with the best in the top drawer where they can be seen as there is a glass top. I had hoped this knife would be the first one I reached for most days – BUT…………..

These are my comments and while I do not have a camera to take good closeup pictures I will use words and as well as a phone picture or two to explain the flaws and improvements needed to make Momentum the GREAT knife that BUCK KNIVES made.

1. The easy one – Buck like many makers put a pocket clip on it Momentum knife. I am one of those customers that does NOT like pocket clips. The clip came off easily BUT its absence leaves an ugly “slot’ in the butt end and two empty screw holes in the scale on the side. Had the holes in the liner been the same diameter and threaded as are the holes in the clip – that oversight would not be an issue – I could have just reinstalled the screws in the scale. Another solution which might have save some money wound be to NOT countersink the screw holes and then it would not look so bad in that area.
  2. The Ugly hole in the butt end. Another easy fix as well as a chance for a small sale – why didn’t BUCK make a small piece to fill that hole/void. Included it with the knife or sold as an accessory it would have shown great thought and concern for customer satisfaction. An even easier fix would have been not to have machined the end of the scale and just lengthened the tang of the clip slightly then there would only be the smaller unsightly cutout in the liner. I recognize that modifications and finish work and design concerns cost money but since I try to only buy quality products, I have noticed more and more that most American manufactures don’t always think of or execute the little things that make a tool a cut above.
  3. More seriously, as humans age lots of thing go wrong . One of these is that our skin thins so that sharp metal edges wear thru our thumbs and fingers and they get sore. So last knight I spent nearly an hour filing the wire edges of the left and right side of the thumb safety on my NEW Momentum knife. What would have been a few seconds attention to detail at the factory took me that long with miniature files BECAUSE I did not want to scratch the thin black coating on the scales. I got most of the wire edge but nevertheless my right thumb is irritated from the wire edge. Also the wire edge on the right side makes the safe a little less smooth when rotating the safety.
  4. If I had been able to buy the tool for both tightening and removing the pivot fastener my hour of careful filing would have been shorter by far. Why not make the tool available for those of us who are handy?
  5. The blade isn’t centered when closed – When in the blade is open it wiggles from side to side and when the blade is closed it moves around and looks sloppy when not centered. Something else to work on.
  6. The most annoying – while the S30V steel blade is of obvious high quality and if BUCK’s claims that its proprietary method of hardening/tempering are true I expect this blade to open lots of boxes and peel bunches of apples and cut wood splinters in my workshop for quite a while before it needs re-sharpening BUT then when I look at the miss ground tip that isn’t symmetrical I feel really sad and my Momentum by BUCK became an ALMOST GREAT KNIFE.
  7. The final disappointments were – a. I noticed that the action seems gritty BECAUSE it was – when I flushed it out with WD40 little bits of either abrasive or metal fillings came out of the right side of the pivot and so my new BUCK Momentum has those awful semicircular marks on the tang of that S30V blade that say someone did not care enough when the knife was assembled to wipe away the grit. And b. then I looked at the grind marks on the finished blade in angled light and I could see that there were three separate regions where the blade met the grinder/buffer and so the final finish was not uniform. A simpler solution would be stone washed. I love satin finishes when done correctly but stonewashed will do if satin can’t be done uniformly.

Finally, I wanted to really enjoy this knife – In addition to BUCK, I have Kershaw, Spiderco, Benchmade, CRKT, Booker, Victorinox, Bear & Son, Zero Tolerance, Camillus, Case and a few more but I always liked BUCK. The only knifes I gave as gifts were BUCK and I have never written to BUCK or any other knife maker before as I was never so disappointed in something I expected to be so nice from a manufacturer that I had grown to like over the years. But those were 110s and 112s and as BUCK moves into the making of knives for more modern collectors and aficionados as opposed to users like me - attention to these details is crucial. I never had to warrantee a BUCK Knife and since I sharpened this knife with my Wicked Edge sharpener it cuts well, it has joined the other Almost GREAT Knives in a lower drawer – maybe I’ll cut nails with it. Perhaps I should return it and you could take it apart and at least fix the blade problems.

Please let me know what you want me to do.

Also, I am not a social media person so I will not be posting anything negative - I thought it best to share my concerns and suggestions with the folks at BUCK.

Disappointed,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

And Then Buck's Reply:

Buck Knives Warranty Status
no_reply@buckknives.com
Wed 8/4/2021 9:00 AM

Dear STEVE RENOV, thank you for being a member of the Buck Knives Family!
Your package has been received by our Warranty department and will be processed promptly by our Warranty technicians.

Warranty Order Number: 01128519
Received: 08/03/2021
Warranty Determination:
REPLACEMENT

Warranty Description:
294BKS1-B - BROKEN BELT CLIP EYELETS- WARRANTY REPLACE WITH SAME MODEL 717-263-3031

Shipping to:
STEVE RENOV
Some Street
Pennsyltucky XXXXX
US

If you have any concerns about your order, please call us: (800) 326-2825, ext. 2.

Thank you,
Buck Knives Warranty Team
warranty@buckknives.com

They didn't even get the name right and a broken clip was not why I sent it back

Then I bought a Buck Vantage PRO #347 and it is the first knife that does not flip at all and even worse there are 4 screw protruding into the blade cavity and I can't see any bronze washers or enclosed bearing cartridges.

So Buying a third Buck "modern EDC" would be an example of what "W" said about fool me once..................................

So what is wrong at buck knives ???????????????
I can tell you what is wrong with at least two Buck's and I can tell you that one knife has been waranteed and the other should be. so here goes with the email I sent them

Edited version sent to the warranty email address
Steve Renovo
Mon 7/19/2021 6:39 PM

To The Owners and Staff Of Buck Knives:
RE: Order number: 896445

I purchased a Buck Momentum Pocket knife Directly from Buck and it arrived last week and I finally had some time to sharpen it last evening. Before I go on, I must say – BUCK did a great job on aesthetics, This knife looks awesome closed and even better when opened. The safety for keeping it closed is appreciated and the pocket clip for those that use them is great. The scales are nice and perhaps in the future BUCK will offer variations in scale material.

I also took time to remove the clip and to really examine what I hoped would be my favorite knife for at least a while. However, after doing more work than I wanted to expend it has become an Almost GREAT Knife and has joined the 30 or so other “Almost GREAT Knives” in my knife case of 50 plus knives. My “Almost GREAT Knives” sit in the case far more than they should and are seldom used. At 73 I have been buying a knife or two a year for probably 60 of those years. A few I lost, one was taken away, some became gifts and others are in my knife case with the best in the top drawer where they can be seen as there is a glass top. I had hoped this knife would be the first one I reached for most days – BUT…………..

These are my comments and while I do not have a camera to take good closeup pictures I will use words and as well as a phone picture or two to explain the flaws and improvements needed to make Momentum the GREAT knife that BUCK KNIVES made.

1. The easy one – Buck like many makers put a pocket clip on it Momentum knife. I am one of those customers that does NOT like pocket clips. The clip came off easily BUT its absence leaves an ugly “slot’ in the butt end and two empty screw holes in the scale on the side. Had the holes in the liner been the same diameter and threaded as are the holes in the clip – that oversight would not be an issue – I could have just reinstalled the screws in the scale. Another solution which might have save some money wound be to NOT countersink the screw holes and then it would not look so bad in that area.
  2. The Ugly hole in the butt end. Another easy fix as well as a chance for a small sale – why didn’t BUCK make a small piece to fill that hole/void. Included it with the knife or sold as an accessory it would have shown great thought and concern for customer satisfaction. An even easier fix would have been not to have machined the end of the scale and just lengthened the tang of the clip slightly then there would only be the smaller unsightly cutout in the liner. I recognize that modifications and finish work and design concerns cost money but since I try to only buy quality products, I have noticed more and more that most American manufactures don’t always think of or execute the little things that make a tool a cut above.
  3. More seriously, as humans age lots of thing go wrong . One of these is that our skin thins so that sharp metal edges wear thru our thumbs and fingers and they get sore. So last knight I spent nearly an hour filing the wire edges of the left and right side of the thumb safety on my NEW Momentum knife. What would have been a few seconds attention to detail at the factory took me that long with miniature files BECAUSE I did not want to scratch the thin black coating on the scales. I got most of the wire edge but nevertheless my right thumb is irritated from the wire edge. Also the wire edge on the right side makes the safe a little less smooth when rotating the safety.
  4. If I had been able to buy the tool for both tightening and removing the pivot fastener my hour of careful filing would have been shorter by far. Why not make the tool available for those of us who are handy?
  5. The blade isn’t centered when closed – When in the blade is open it wiggles from side to side and when the blade is closed it moves around and looks sloppy when not centered. Something else to work on.
  6. The most annoying – while the S30V steel blade is of obvious high quality and if BUCK’s claims that its proprietary method of hardening/tempering are true I expect this blade to open lots of boxes and peel bunches of apples and cut wood splinters in my workshop for quite a while before it needs re-sharpening BUT then when I look at the miss ground tip that isn’t symmetrical I feel really sad and my Momentum by BUCK became an ALMOST GREAT KNIFE.
  7. The final disappointments were – a. I noticed that the action seems gritty BECAUSE it was – when I flushed it out with WD40 little bits of either abrasive or metal fillings came out of the right side of the pivot and so my new BUCK Momentum has those awful semicircular marks on the tang of that S30V blade that say someone did not care enough when the knife was assembled to wipe away the grit. And b. then I looked at the grind marks on the finished blade in angled light and I could see that there were three separate regions where the blade met the grinder/buffer and so the final finish was not uniform. A simpler solution would be stone washed. I love satin finishes when done correctly but stonewashed will do if satin can’t be done uniformly.

Finally, I wanted to really enjoy this knife – In addition to BUCK, I have Kershaw, Spiderco, Benchmade, CRKT, Booker, Victorinox, Bear & Son, Zero Tolerance, Camillus, Case and a few more but I always liked BUCK. The only knifes I gave as gifts were BUCK and I have never written to BUCK or any other knife maker before as I was never so disappointed in something I expected to be so nice from a manufacturer that I had grown to like over the years. But those were 110s and 112s and as BUCK moves into the making of knives for more modern collectors and aficionados as opposed to users like me - attention to these details is crucial. I never had to warrantee a BUCK Knife and since I sharpened this knife with my Wicked Edge sharpener it cuts well, it has joined the other Almost GREAT Knives in a lower drawer – maybe I’ll cut nails with it. Perhaps I should return it and you could take it apart and at least fix the blade problems.

Please let me know what you want me to do.

Also, I am not a social media person so I will not be posting anything negative - I thought it best to share my concerns and suggestions with the folks at BUCK.

Disappointed,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

And Then Buck's Reply:

Buck Knives Warranty Status
no_reply@buckknives.com
Wed 8/4/2021 9:00 AM

Dear STEVE RENOV, thank you for being a member of the Buck Knives Family!
Your package has been received by our Warranty department and will be processed promptly by our Warranty technicians.

Warranty Order Number: 01128519
Received: 08/03/2021
Warranty Determination:
REPLACEMENT

Warranty Description:
294BKS1-B - BROKEN BELT CLIP EYELETS- WARRANTY REPLACE WITH SAME MODEL 717-263-3031

Shipping to:
STEVE RENOV
Some Street
Pennsyltucky XXXXX
US

If you have any concerns about your order, please call us: (800) 326-2825, ext. 2.

Thank you,
Buck Knives Warranty Team
warranty@buckknives.com

They didn't even get the name right and a broken clip was not why I sent it back

Then I bought a Buck Vantage PRO #347 and it is the first knife that does not flip at all and even worse there are 4 screw protruding into the blade cavity and I can't see any bronze washers or enclosed bearing cartridges.

So Buying a third Buck "modern EDC" would be an example of what "W" said about fool me once..................................
on the Vantage. There’s good ones and bad ones.

so up in Georgia mountians....went on hike with my boy.....today...

20210906_154334_compress13.jpg

boy climbs faster than me anymore...hard to tell from the pic but that is pretty angled upwards.
20210906_154657_compress94.jpg
boy got tired of carrying his Swiss army so I had to carry it for awhile...need to get him a Buck knife one of these days....red ga clay...
20210906_154850_compress44.jpg

ran into some GA deer....
20210906_161240_compress36.jpg
20210906_161339_compress36.jpg

back to the cabin finally. I'm worn out as we went on an uphill trail the whole way this time. relaxing on the porch now.....

20210906_170232_compress28.jpgand my view....

20210906_170247_compress57.jpgrealized I'm gettin old.......my boy was like nothing happened and im sweating and worn out.

View attachment 1635066

boy climbs faster than me anymore...hard to tell from the pic but that is pretty angled upwards.
View attachment 1635084
boy got tired of carrying his Swiss army so I had to carry it for awhile...need to get him a Buck knife one of these days....red ga clay...
View attachment 1635094

View attachment 1635088
View attachment 1635093

back to the cabin finally. I'm worn out as we went on an uphill trail the whole way this time. relaxing on the porch now.....

View attachment 1635099and my view....

View attachment 1635100realized I'm gettin old.......my boy was like nothing happened and im sweating and worn out.
Great story jb! Your son will have you whipped into shape in no time.

View attachment 1635066

View attachment 1635084
View attachment 1635094

View attachment 1635088
View attachment 1635093

View attachment 1635099and my view....

View attachment 1635100realized I'm gettin old.......my boy was like nothing happened and im sweating and worn out.
Best post of the month, Jesse! You're a good father. 👍

Back