The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

The old model Ithaca 37 is the best......I think you know that if you've handled one, worked the action and listened to it. The sound of quality and all steel. They're quick in reloading to the magazine and you can unload the magazine without working the action (these are important features).
Sorry, 870 fans.......I know there are a lot of you, but that's just because it's inexpensive and thus very popular.
But the old Ithaca 37 wins hands down on every count.
You can always make arrangements to have a gunsmith look it over for you to make sure it's working good and original condition. You'll never be sorry about buying a 37.

I grew up in a house full of Ithaca Model 37s. Great, simple shotguns.

I have a 110 that was gifted to me in 1992. It has the Diamond Wood covers with finger grooves.
The tang stamp indicates 1992 mfg. Just curious can anyone tell me what steel Buck was using then?

Yes, that switch occurred in 1992. But Buck didn't make the switch to laminate wood until 1994. DM

Thanks for your reply Grateful & Dave. Maybe it is Rosewood, sort of reddish brown in color.
According to the tang stamp page posted here it is 1992,that much I am sure of.
I have not seen it for a while it is in the safe.I never carried or used it, only kept it as I was
a member of the wedding party.

This evil genius owl has been hanging around our back yard. Apparently he has learned to use peanuts to lure in his victims. I shudder at the thought that animals are attaining this level of intelligence. They say it's due to Global Warming and the Eclipse of the sun. I just worry.

RdmYdM1.jpg

Wallace, he'll put it to use. Get some feedback on how it worked for him. His buck has hardened antlers in mid September.? Archery season? DM

He said it "works like a beauty" and "cut that deer up like butter". Loves it. As for the other two questions, no idea but we're not restricted to what the government says about what to use during time of the season.

His buck has hardened antlers in mid September.? DM

In the North Country (God's country, where the deer are big) the antlers are hardened and velvet is gone by late August or early September.
We will have frost soon and snowflakes won't be far behind.
No rattlesnakes, scorpions or fire ants either.
:)

Ok, whitetail I guess run different. Our Mule Deer don't scrape the velvet off until next month. DM

In KY, it's rare to find a velvet Buck after the end of August. I've not caught one on a trail camera in velvet past early August. Not that it doesn't happen, just I've not seen one. Our archery opened up 9/2 and I still haven't found time to get out.

Yesterday I pocket carried my 110 for almost 13 hours. I just dropped it in my right front pocket and walked out the door. It really wasn't uncomfortable or a big deal.

Yep, some make such a huge thing about the weight of a 110. So, glad to hear it wasn't anything to you. DM

I think he was trying to impress you with a little PhotoMagic. Note that his fingers don't come around to grip the antler.

That's because his hand is at least a foot behind that antler. Even so, his right hand looks twice as big as his left.

Nice elk anyway. :)

Back