The Artsy Craftsy, Hobbies, Sports and wholesome stress relieving activities GAW.

It’s been said, but the bowls are amazing. You are very talented. Thank you for sharing your gifts with the porch. I am in.

Like many people I have more interests than time. A favorite activity of mine is camping or staying in a cabin with my family. Preferably on a lake so we fish, another favorite pastime of mine. Sitting on a doc or in a boat at dawn with my kids when there is steam coming off then water, nothing but crickets and jumping fish making noise and a line cast out is a time of relaxation and joy for me.
WbNHMyN.jpg

Thanks for the chance. Great GAW. I would be in if I had a clear surface on which to put one of those beautiful bowls, but I don't so I'm not.
Antiquing is a great enjoyment and usually relaxation every week. The traditional knife is a Bridgeport Knife Company carver I got yesterday for $6 minus 20% plus tax ($4.55). The curved stick is a suburi-to ($15 minus 20% plus tax) from the same visit to the same mall.
As for craftiness, I'll put some colored epoxy in the crack on the knife handle, and the piece of cherry is part of the folk harp I fully intend to build any day now.
bLNrnx8.jpg

gNjb7jJ.jpg

I'm in. Very cool gaw and hobbies. I've always loved the look of turned wood. Very beautiful.

My knife pic is not a glamorous action shot. The forum knife is just my most recent acquisition. And one of my few purchases this year.

bTtQtgK.jpg

Much of my time lately is spent on my newest hobby, a little beginner Silver Smithing. A few rings, some random pendants, and a bunch of chainmaille. Most in fine silver from bullion bars. Some chain in grade 1 titanium. And a little bit of copper.

I "turned" a 5 Troy Ounce bar of silver bullion into this 4.88 oz neck chain.

iNACxmu.jpg

SBYrmYn.jpg

Most of my stuff is heavy silver. This bracelet is one of the few light pieces I've made.

LwGKeft.jpg

xA9ubio.jpg

sc42x3u.jpg

Forgot to add... my version of Covid-19, in .9999 Fine Silver. :D:p

O2oZFwC.jpg

Last edited:
I am NOT IN, Doctor Doolittle, but only because I have won a couple of giveaways already this year. In fact, in the 2 &1/2 years I have been on BladeForums, I have won several, and I am tired of winning! :p

But I did want to compliment you on the woodwork, Dan. Such beautiful bowls. And your photography is first-rate. And your bread looks scrumptious. By the way, your English is fine--please don't be anxious. You are a great communicator, and your joy and enthusiasm are contagious.

I guess I can mention briefly things that help me relax: reading, of course. Bicycling, walking, shooting (don't shoot as often as I used to--ammo is expensive! And my eyes are not what they used to be.). I love sitting on the porch or deck with my sons--or even by myself--with some good whisky and a cigar.
omZPUL8.jpg

I love being near the water. Very relaxing. Our office had a meeting last week in a park, and afterwards I wandered over to the shore:
blhXdfu.jpg

I think those are herons, but I am not a bird-watcher. And I didn't try to feed them! :D

Here's a pic of the knives I have been carrying the most lately:
LFtgNrR.jpg

I enjoy your contributions to the forum, Dan, and good luck to all the entrants!

Good morning friends and happy Monday :)

Thank you so very much all of you for the entries and comments, I very much appreciate every single one.

Is still quite early here in Ontario and the house is quiet.
I am enjoying rereading all the entries and getting a little glimpse into the humanity behind a username.

Have a great day folks !!!
:)

I could relax very easily there Vince - even with you sitting near by and trying to talk to me. ;)

Actually I would enjoy your company. We could certainly talk and share knives. You have a very nice French collection going.

Pelicans by the way, their bills lowered like that you can't see their "bowl". Hard to tell what the smaller birds are - maybe terns or small gulls.

I could relax very easily there Vince - even with you sitting near by and trying to talk to me. ;)

Actually I would enjoy your company. We could certainly talk and share knives. You have a very nice French collection going.

Pelicans by the way, their bills lowered like that you can't see their "bowl". Hard to tell what the smaller birds are - maybe terns or small gulls.
I thought they might be pelicans. At least I knew they weren't sea gulls!
I like living on the coast. Gotta warn ya, it's warm here. We hardly ever see s--- (Dan doesn't like that word that refers to the cold white stuff you northerners get every winter!).

My mood these days is to hang out on the deck with Vince rather than with CD in the snow.;) NOW - give me feets of snow and sunny days for snowshoeing and general snow play and winter picnics and I will be happy. This moushy slushy stuff though is just work :( with no advantage or purpose - except to maybe keep the well full.

I am getting excited about getting them out to their still unknown destinations :)

ApZfocUb.jpg

It looks like the folks that wanted to entered have done so so I will leave it open until tomorrow at 8 pm eastern in case anyone else wants in and then lock the thread and prepare for the draw on Wednesday am.

Very busy week at work but I'll do my best to ship them by Friday :thumbsup:

My violinist daughter does not know what she is in for :D

Throw in a new piece of rosin and she will be delighted :)

"Sounds" good Ray :)
She loves her violin, truly does.
Not so much when she was 6 y/o starting out. She whacked me a couple times with the bow when we sat down to practice and she got frustrated :eek:

I'm in!

http://www.enterkin.com/Knives/GEC_Navy.jpg

(sorry, I couldn't get my photo to work any other way I tried)

Besides knives, my hobbies include cycling, hiking, reading, flashlights, video production and more. My wife says I'm a 'hobbyholic', but she's very supportive of my 'problem'.

Thanks for the generous GAW! Those bowls are awesome!

Last edited:
"Sounds" good Ray :)
She loves her violin, truly does.
Not so much when she was 6 y/o starting out. She whacked me a couple times with the bow when we sat down to practice and she got frustrated :eek:
A wonderful instrument. I listened to Beethoven's violin concerto on the way to work and Brahms' on the way home. Then I get to listen to my son play piano. We are blessed!

I like wooden bowls and wood handled knives so I'm in.
I like to read and I play the guitar but my main hobby is knots and rope work. I have been interested and fascinated with knots since I was little. Then I learned about Clifford Ashley. I bought his monumental book and read it from cover to cover. I still read it regularly. I have since accumulated a number of books about knots and ropework. Here are some lanyards I made:
cCss4Mb.jpg

nIMtBDv.jpg

Gracias por la oportunidad!

t4YhRgh.jpg

My most carried knife that I own.

ZbYGaCv.jpg

and my favorite passion is cycling, this bike got me back into it after a 35 year hiatus. I rode about 1200 miles on this one and had acquired three other bikes before moving this old Trek along. Now I have four bikes which I ride almost daily year round. I try to ride between 15-30 miles per day.

Those bowls are beautiful! You do nice work, thanks for the chance! :thumbsup:

Back