The Artsy Craftsy, Hobbies, Sports and wholesome stress relieving activities GAW.

4DB20D44-7014-405F-8F89-8DA15972335B.jpeg I just received my walnut bowl and Opinel from Dan. Sir, you are a real artist. I will be taking more photos when the lighting cooperates. You did such an amazing job I’m getting reflections where I don’t normally get them. Needless to say the Opinel is well an Opinel.
Thank you very much.882CED40-ACC2-40B6-ADB6-56106FF2158B.jpeg

Last edited:
CelloDan,

Knife and bowl made it safe and sound today!

Both are fantastic!! The bowl is already in use, to hold my assortment of knives to carry tomorrow.

The Garden knife from Opinel will be an instant favorite. I've been eyeing the pattern for years.

wrOZf34.jpg

My photo skills are sub par....but here it is.

Many thanks Dan!!

CelloDan,

Knife and bowl made it safe and sound today!

Both are fantastic!! The bowl is already in use, to hold my assortment of knives to carry tomorrow.

The Garden knife from Opinel will be an instant favorite. I've been eyeing the pattern for years.

wrOZf34.jpg

My photo skills are sub par....but here it is.

Many thanks Dan!!

You are welcome my friend :)
Great to know that the bowl is already on active duties :thumbsup:
Best ! :)

The postal service FINALLY made it to my house today with a beautifully crafted mahogany bowl and a Victorinox Recruit! Thank you so much Dan! I was trying to post photos, but I failed, so I didn't want to fail to express my gratitude and joy in receiving such a beautiful handmade gift and a very nice Vic knife to boot!

The play of light on the wood grain as I slowly turn the bowl is simply incredible. It's beautiful and expertly crafted.

Dan - words cannot express my appreciation. All the best to you!

Thank you Jay for the kind words, I am so relieved it got there safely ! :thumbsup:
Cheers my friend :)

Well guess what...I scored a few chunks of an old overgrown apple tree that needed pruning :). Prune ....apple....how do i do it?:rolleyes:

I enjoy sharpening my knives. It's sort of a zen thing for me. So far I've made two steel toothpicks from a couple pocket knives. o_O
Rich

Last edited:
Well guess what...I scored a few chunks of an old overgrown apple tree that needed pruning :). Prune ....apple....how do i do it?:rolleyes:

I seal the end grain of the logs with a wax emulsion they sell for woodturners or you could use old latex paint laying around. This would help prevent the wood from drying too fast and cracking/splitting.
Ideally you would then rough turn the bowl as soon as possible ( one inch thick or so ) and seal it with wax or put it inside a brown paper bag to fully season and dry for a few months, then remount on the lathe and finish turning it.

That's how I prune an apple ... never mind lol :rolleyes::D

Thanks Dan...I did the wax thing with the olive tree wood....but sadly I'd left it baking in the back of the ute for three days...like an oven...so it started cracking....Ive got the apple tucked away safe...Im back at the garden today ...I'll get a pic of the devastation that I cause.:)

Back