The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan:

Can those who already scored a UFK during last Friday's sale, also partake in tomorrow's sale? Are you going to restrict the allowed number of UFK claims to one per post like last Friday's terms of sale?

Nathan:

Can those who already scored a UFK during last Friday's sale, also partake in tomorrow's sale? Are you going to restrict the allowed number of UFK claims to one per post like last Friday's terms of sale?

Yes, and yes. No changes from last week, still the same deal. We are not going to start implementing and enforcing complex rules. Gotta keep it simple.

Hi Nathan!

I know how you feel about Terotuf on smaller sized knives (EDC’s & FK’s), that being - it’s ugly and overkill. But... I feel different and would love to be given the option. Also I could have all my CPK’s match - big to small - with the same scales. So my question is - would you consider offering Terotuf as a standard option on all your models?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lawrie

Hi Nathan!

I know how you feel about Terotuf on smaller sized knives (EDC’s & FK’s), that being - it’s ugly and overkill. But... I feel different and would love to be given the option. Also I could have all my CPK’s match - big to small - with the same scales. So my question is - would you consider offering Terotuf as a standard option on all your models?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lawrie

We do occasionally run a sheet just for folks like you. It isn't listed but you can inquire with Jo.

^ #stillnotnathan

Pretty sure that it is Tony. The Man just can't seem to be able to stop poking his steel :D

Do you remember the pic where he was poking his Boker Roundouse to test the HRC?

^^^somehow I missed that.

curious if this is random, or every 'so many' blades. I don't think I've seen this before on the 20 or so knives I've had the scales off. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist - are these dimples where you tested hardness? Under the L.H. scale on my FK2.

View attachment 1075209

Those are scars from the unicorn horn where the magic is injected into the steel.

That's where we set a 120 degree cone of diamond with a .008" tip radius onto the steel with 150kg force.

Actually yes, those are Rockwell hardness test marks...

Those are scars from the unicorn horn where the magic is injected into the steel.

That's where we set a 120 degree cone of diamond with a .008" tip radius onto the steel with 150kg force.

Actually yes, those are Rockwell hardness test marks...

Cool. Thanks. I assumed it was this... but I like the unicorn thing better. I knew it went somewhere.

For extra credit can I get the certs for my knife?

Cool. Thanks. I assumed it was this... but I like the unicorn thing better. I knew it went somewhere.

For extra credit can I get the certs for my knife?

I have the certs for the steel in your knife. Except for the potato knives and some prototypes I have the steels certs for every knife to ship out of the shop for at least the last several years.

I try to buy 3V where I get the whole ingot and have it rolled to my specifications and condition so I get a bunch of steel a couple times a year where it's all the same heat lot. It's then run in the same oven almost every time and everything from quench rate to blade spacing to timing of steps is controlled and repeated. I believe our consistency from blade to blade in a batch and from batch to batch might be the best in the industry. We almost don't need to test the Rockwell hardness (it is never off), though of course we do. Testing the hardness is like judging the quality of a steak by measuring the temperature, measuring it doesn't hurt anything but doesn't tell you everything either. Unlike most, we are not aiming for and adjusting to a specific Rockwell hardness number, we're duplicating a specific process (and variations of it) to achieve a particular material condition with known properties that we want. The hardness lands wherever it lands, but it happens to be very consistent because the material chemistry and microstructure is well controlled and our process does not vary. There are random samplings in every batch and destructive testing from every heat lot. We have run into problems before (that measuring RC could not catch) and in one case a few less than perfect knives were shipped before we found the problem, which we had to have returned. This was before we developed the Delta protocol and is one reason we try to control the process as tight as possible now.

I have the certs for the steel in your knife. Except for the potato knives and some prototypes I have the steels certs for every knife to ship out of the shop for at least the last several years.

I try to buy 3V where I get the whole ingot and have it rolled to my specifications and condition so I get a bunch of steel a couple times a year where it's all the same heat lot. It's then run in the same oven almost every time and everything from quench rate to blade spacing to timing of steps is controlled and repeated. I believe our consistency from blade to blade in a batch and from batch to batch might be the best in the industry. We almost don't need to test the Rockwell hardness (it is never off), though of course we do. Testing the hardness is like judging the quality of a steak by measuring the temperature, measuring it doesn't hurt anything but doesn't tell you everything either. Unlike most, we are not aiming for and adjusting to a specific Rockwell hardness number, we're duplicating a specific process (and variations of it) to achieve a particular material condition with known properties that we want. The hardness lands wherever it lands, but it happens to be very consistent because the material chemistry and microstructure is well controlled and our process does not vary. There are random samplings in every batch and destructive testing from every heat lot. We have run into problems before (that measuring RC could not catch) and in one case a few less than perfect knives were shipped before we found the problem, which we had to have returned. This was before we developed the Delta protocol and is one reason we try to control the process as tight as possible now.

This was before we developed the Delta protocol and is one reason we try to control the process as tight as possible now.

I often think about that last line and had / have questions just rumbling in my own head to which I actually would not expect any answers, so please consider this as a: Not really asking but just saying, asking Nathan a question:

You ever foresee a situation when you will no longer have to share your secret sauce, say if you ever develop a D3VD (ala a Double D or a D^2). You anticipate a point when it (D3V) will become a totally CPK owned proprietary rights or is there even such a thing in the knife industry? I mean that from what can be assumed, Infi is proprietary even though some speculation goes into what it actually is, so I always assumed that you partially own the rights to D3V although you're the mad scientist who developed the secret sauce. Nonetheless, I am very impressed that you have kept the certified records of the entire processes.

Again, I'm actually musing aloud and asking / not asking. Go have your beer(s)!

Do you guys have any terotuf scales for the edc? That stuff is the best forgrip.

Yes, another run of Tero for the EDCs! I know Jo is tired of me asking!

Grenock is right. We are out of TeroTuf for the EDC. We are not planning to make more. We made probably 10 or 15 sets.

Aw c’mon Jo! You know that you are supposed to let Nathan be the bearer of bad news. You are our Angel of Hope :) and the voice of reason :thumbsup: in all things handle scale related.

I agree that we need more TeroTuf EDC scales. I have unbuffed green canvas micarta on my original EDC and Ebonite on the new EDC3. Both of those are very nice, but the TeroTuf on the EDC2 is still the king when it comes to grippiness.

I am definitely in for two sets if you decide to run more TT EDC scales. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Phil

Aw c’mon Jo! You know that you are supposed to let Nathan be the bearer of bad news. You are our Angel of Hope :) and the voice of reason :thumbsup: in all things handle scale related.

I agree that we need more TeroTuf EDC scales. I have unbuffed green canvas micarta on my original EDC and Ebonite on the new EDC3. Both of those are very nice, but the TeroTuf on the EDC2 is still the king when it comes to grippiness.

I am definitely in for two sets if you decide to run more TT EDC scales. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Phil
Thanks Phil! If enough of us pile on, maybe they will cave!

I remember when those scales were made and figured I would just get a set with my next EDC or order. I had no idea they were not gonna be a stock option or I would have sucked up three or four sets right then.

Come on, Jo, go run us a few sheets while Nathan is outside stuck in the mud!

Back