The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Hi Nathan,

I know that solvents are not good for ebonite handles. Is there anything that is good for ebonite that could be used on it to keep the ebonite from drying out & cracking?
Maybe try Mother’s VLR (Vinyl Leather Rubber). It’s a car care product.

Hi Nathan,

I know that solvents are not good for ebonite handles. Is there anything that is good for ebonite that could be used on it to keep the ebonite from drying out & cracking?

I don't actually know the answer to this question. I do know that ebonite has been used on things like pipe stems, musical instruments, and fountain pens for a very long time and it doesn't just dry out and crack. I think most people do nothing, no maintenance at all. Solvents and oils may be harmful to it. I would just use it and not worry about it. If you have to clean it I would just use dish soap and water.

Probably more information than you are looking for and this is for museum object preservation but it offers some things to avoid in cleaning ebonite including water (especially hot). Considering ebonite was used for bowling balls for years I wouldn't worry about it being all that fragile or delicate but I can't say I have personal experience with it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/conservati...tion-institute-notes/care-rubber-plastic.html

Here is the relevant section from the document link posted by heat_treat heat_treat (Thanks!):

"Ebonite is often mistaken for Bakelite in museum collections, because both are often hard, black plastics. Bakelite is relatively stable. Ebonite is a hard, highly vulcanized rubber that contains sulfur compounds, which react first with oxygen and then with water as the product ages, and eventually produce sulphuric acid. Ebonite therefore can have very acidic surfaces that are dangerous to other objects. Ebonite items must be separated, ventilated or placed in enclosures along with scavengers to trap acidic gases. Decreasing the relative humidity will also decrease the amount of acid produced."

^that's for very old antique artifacts

In practice, if you'll clean them off if they get petroleum oil on them, avoid regular exposure to strong solvents and don't leave them out in the sun for weeks at a time your ebonite scales will be fine for a very long time. They don't need maintenance. But they're not the right material for you if you're a maintenance tech who works with greasy hands and solvent based cleaners on a regular basis.

Another question specifically regarding Ebonite.

Anyone know how the material handles below freezing, or subzero temperatures, seeing how it IS a rubber based material? I know that a lot of types of rubber get brittle in colder temperatures.

Are you familiar with Snecx?

He started designing folding knives in the last few years, I believe to address issues he didn’t see anyone was addressing.

He only has a handful of designs that have produced a very limited number of knives, but I would definitely suggest scouring his Instagram as there is a wealth of knowledge there.

You may be able to bounce some ideas off of each other, or who knows, maybe a collaboration? :eek:

Instagram link https://www.instagram.com/snecx/?hl=en

3rd party reviewer of one of his blades.

Feel free to remove the links, or I can if needed. I don’t see him as a competitor as he is mainly a designer with extremely limited, fairly expensive and hard to obtain folding knives.

Edit - the reason I posted this was similar to the reason I’m glad you got your hands on a Shiro. Just to throw out some ideas and info for future CPK bendy knives

Last edited:
Snecx is now in the process of designing and testing, what he intends to be, one of the strongest, yet still clean and simple, folding knife lock systems. Mike

What’s the line up coming down the pipe for Friday sales and preorders? I’ve missed a bit. Got a new house and been busy as I don’t know what. I guess I missed the FK2 and fighter .

What’s the line up coming down the pipe for Friday sales and preorders? I’ve missed a bit. Got a new house and been busy as I don’t know what. I guess I missed the FK2 and fighter .
Not this Friday, but the following Friday (4/5) there will be UF’s in AEBL out on the main exchange.

FK/UFK’s are still being sold as well.

I have a sharpening question on the upcoming UF. I see the edge angle listed at 20 degrees. Does this mean I can touch it up with my Sharpmaker?

Are you familiar with Snecx?

He started designing folding knives in the last few years, I believe to address issues he didn’t see anyone was addressing.

He only has a handful of designs that have produced a very limited number of knives, but I would definitely suggest scouring his Instagram as there is a wealth of knowledge there.

You may be able to bounce some ideas off of each other, or who knows, maybe a collaboration? :eek:

Instagram link https://www.instagram.com/snecx/?hl=en

3rd party reviewer of one of his blades.

Feel free to remove the links, or I can if needed. I don’t see him as a competitor as he is mainly a designer with extremely limited, fairly expensive and hard to obtain folding knives.

Edit - the reason I posted this was similar to the reason I’m glad you got your hands on a Shiro. Just to throw out some ideas and info for future CPK bendy knives

I thought this would be of interest as well seeing as how the Shiro bit Nathan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvgGYaOlQ7O/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7tfmsuzk5ifu

Back