The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

If the AEBL fighters turn out to be popular is there any consideration for HDFKs in AEBL. I’d love to have one that would be more salt water resistant

Probably not. There are no additional HDFK in the production schedule. We may make some Field Knives in AEBL at some point. And the DEK1 too.

What is the max length and width of a knife blade you can produce

In theory probably about three feet total length with a blade grind width of perhaps 3". But using the fixturing and setup techniques we use the 18" total length, 12" blade length of the Behemoth is pushing the limits and the nearly 2" grind height on the comp choppers was challenging. The KOD piece will require a different manufacturing approach than we normally use.

In theory probably about three feet total length with a blade grind width of perhaps 3". But using the fixturing and setup techniques we use the 18" total length, 12" blade length of the Behemoth is pushing the limits and the nearly 2" grind height on the comp choppers was challenging. The KOD piece will require a different manufacturing approach than we normally use.

I love the fact that you mentioned the KOD piece here, as it is definitely on my mind. It’s good to know it’s on yours too.

Hi Nathan, I sent a question over to edit before finding out about this Q&A thread. I was curious if you accept commissions to work on existing production blades and folders, such as making custom titanium liners or adding detent holes to assisted opening knives. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nathan, I sent a question over to edit before finding out about this Q&A thread. I was curious if you accept commissions to work on existing production blades and folders, such as making custom titanium liners or adding detent holes to assisted opening knives. Thank you!

I'm sorry we don't do custom work of that nature at this time.

I would suggest checking out REK (Razor Edge Knives). Josh does great work and can likely handle everything you are looking for.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/razoredgeknives/?hl=en

Understood, thanks. A more general question, if you dont mind me asking- what does the process look like for becoming a high level machinist? Is there an apprenticeship period, or a mix of courses and practical application?

There are a lot of different paths a person could take. Simple question with a complex answer beyond the scope of this thread.

If I recall correctly, you used to make blade replacements for folders?

What knives did you do this for and was this done as a way to upgrade the knife or refurbish it?

Would you ever consider this again as a prequel to the folder? A D3V blade replacement for a popular folder would be extremely enticing (or AEBL, D2, 4V, etc etc etc that you see fit).

Back