The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

They're interchangeable. The handles were developed for the MC. The HDMC is a variant and won't be a standard pattern. I considered making a special variation of the handle scales (the original HC prototypes had more handle swell) but it seemed like a great deal of unproductive complexity, the MC scales work fine on the HDMC.

Thanks ... good to know.

They're interchangeable. The handles were developed for the MC. The HDMC is a variant and won't be a standard pattern. I considered making a special variation of the handle scales (the original HC prototypes had more handle swell) but it seemed like a great deal of unproductive complexity, the MC scales work fine on the HDMC.
Another question related to this.

For folks who actually like the added width/girth of the HDMC handle, would it be possible to order TeroTuf scales with a slightly thicker liner to replicate that thickness on the BC and MC?

Nathan, I read through the stickies and your website and could not find this question asked, nor an answer to it regardless. Would you mind sharing the reason you don't sell your knives via your website? Thanks for taking time to answer.

Nathan, I read through the stickies and your website and could not find this question asked, nor an answer to it regardless. Would you mind sharing the reason you don't sell your knives via your website? Thanks for taking time to answer.
Not Nathan, but IIRC, he's mentioned that he would like to get to the point where he can have knives in stock for purchase.

At this time however, the demand is still high enough that every single blade he makes is getting snapped up in short order.

He doesn't even like preorders because he'd rather sell them as he makes them, rather than pre-sell knives that haven't yet been made. The preorders are him conceding to repeated requests from a lot of us CPK fans, who simply can't easily acquire his knives through the regular sales (where some in demand models have all sold out in under 60 seconds. That's a batch of 40 knives, all selling in under 60 seconds of the listing being opened).

as a general rule we have struggled to achieve shelf stock. No point putting something on a website if you can't keep it in stock. That may be changing as our output increases and our business model evolves.

I believe he mentioned in the last sale thread that he, Jo and the kids were leaving today for their annual beach holiday, so I imagine he will wait until he's back, perhaps.
if Nate takes any time from his well earned vacation to post in this forum, I will travel to wherever he is and thrash him

as a general rule we have struggled to achieve shelf stock. No point putting something on a website if you can't keep it in stock. That may be changing as our output increases and our business model evolves.

Not a question, but an observation:

It's quite evident, more so in the recent Fridays sales, that sticking with BF as CPK's sole sales outlet has its saturation limitations. This was fine when it was only Nathan & Jo producing half a dozen to a dozen of knives to sell on every Friday or every other Friday, but by having decided to expand the operation, both in terms of added employees and machinery plus workshop square footage, a business model contraction is not in the cards specially in lieu of the fact that there are many other projects bubbling under the surface.

Stocking up shelves and running added sales options through your website is definitely augmentative as are some other methods. There could very well come a point in the near future that you may end up hiring a person for your internet sales, be it by way of modernizing and completing your own website, other social media methods and also utilizing other online sites. Perhaps you will also have to get on the horn yourself and get yourself another distributor.

You are nowhere near tapping your full potential but the question is how much more you are willing to take on, vis a vis risks and rewards.

Back