The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I'm pretty sure the 212 degrees will weaken the epoxy, however I expect it will regain its full strength once it cools down so as long as it doesn't fail during the process it's probably okay. It's not a particularly loaded joint regardless.

I guess if it comes apart you'll have to stick it back together...

Hmmmm. I’ll think about it. I don’t imagine it will be easy to get the epoxy off and place them together seamlessly.

This is just a technical blurb but the addition of the chemicals (dye, soap, etc) may raise the boiling point of that broth to over 212*F but what's a few more points when you're intent on fooque'ing things up.

#notwalterwhiteakaheizenberg

I’m not too worried about the dye like we previously discussed. I’m more worried about the fixative. I didn’t imagine I’d need an hour worth at 200+
What the hell kind of dye are you using that needs an hour to work??

I usually only do about a 5-10 minute dip in a simmering pot, then a cold water wash and they’re done-done.

What the hell kind of dye are you using that needs an hour to work??

I usually only do about a 5-10 minute dip in a simmering pot, then a cold water wash and they’re done-done.

Rit.

Keep in mind my goal is very very black with no dye transfer. I kept checking on them in the bath up till 30 minutes as recommended but they were still taking on dye. So I left them for the full indicated duration possible (60 mins) and somewhere after 30 mins they stopped getting more black.

When I rinsed them off, you could wipe a cloth on them and get a little colour transfer which I don’t want, so I used the fixative. That fixed that.

I’ve done 4 sets of micarta, 2 canvas and 2 linen. I’m not sure how the TT will take dye so I’ll have to test a pair.

I’m sure you aren’t surprised that I’m being picky about the results. I added the soap and salt as recommended by Rit.

Justin, could you give a quick explanation of the fixative please. I had one set that did not want to hold fast. I was not using Rit dye however.

I used the stovetop method for Rit fixative. I think the bottle was $7. It says it can be used on all dyes even commercially dyed clothing so it should be fine. Very similar in process to the dye.

3 gallons of water in a 16qt stockpot heated to about 210 degrees Fahrenheit as indicated by a thermometer. I suspended the scales midwater with wire. Stirred in 1 teaspoon (iirc) liquid dish soap. 1 bottle of Fixative. 1 hour bath.

Then a cool rinse and a scrub with a shop cloth and dish soap. Laid to dry. 0 transfer to the white shop cloth I scrubbed them with despite using soap. No warping. So it’s a success by my measure.

Last edited:
I used the stovetop method for Rit fixative. I think the bottle was $7. It says it can be used on all dyes even commercially dyed clothing so it should be fine. Very similar in process to the dye.

3 gallons of water in a 16qt stockpot heated to about 210 degrees Fahrenheit as indicated by a thermometer. I suspended the scales midwater with wire. Stirred in 1 teaspoon (iirc) liquid dish soap. 1 bottle of Fixative. 1 hour bath.

Then a cool rinse and a scrub with a shop cloth and dish soap. Laid to dry. 0 transfer to the white shop cloth I scrubbed them with despite using soap. No warping. So it’s a success by my measure.

Awesome brother. Thank you for the break-down.

Sure. It will be a little while longer, they're at heat treat, but hopefully within a few weeks.

Morning Nathan,

Will there just be one on the auction block?

Hey I wanted to ask about wooden handle scales. Do you always epoxy those? Wasn't sure if you would be willing to sell sets of wooden scales or not. I would love some Osage on a FK2 (would highly prefer them on this model vs the UF), but I'd buy another complete knife if they had to be epoxied and you happened to offer that. Thanks

^ as always #stillnotnathan #theresonlyonentm, so while I'm waiting for my morning coffee brain f*arts are ready to go :)

Auction? For the dagger grind UF? If so, I'm pretty certain that Nathan will just offer them as he always does, i.e, Fridays sales. Now maybe he will offer a weird one or a fancied up one as a fun Friday's sale item but otherwise I don't see an auction on these!

IIRC, he did mention African Blackwood, Cocobolo and "maybe" Osage as the wood handle options for the DG-UFs, but he may not offer any of those choices outside of the preorder, but then again, who knows? He doesn't even know! :D

Morning Nathan,

Will there just be one on the auction block?

Hey I wanted to ask about wooden handle scales. Do you always epoxy those? Wasn't sure if you would be willing to sell sets of wooden scales or not. I would love some Osage on a FK2 (would highly prefer them on this model vs the UF), but I'd buy another complete knife if they had to be epoxied and you happened to offer that. Thanks

right now the plan is to auction one dagger on IG soon. One was promised to Mike many years ago and therefore is spoken for. I hope to finish the last one in time for blade show next year. Those are my tentative plans.

I used to bond wood scales to tang's, but I have had pretty good success just screwing them on if the wood is good and stable. I currently have no plans to make loose wooden scales. They are a huge pain for me.

... I'm a machinist not a carpenter...

right now the plan is to auction one dagger on IG soon. One was promised to Mike many years ago and therefore is spoken for. I hope to finish the last one in time for blade show next year. Those are my tentative plans.

I used to bond wood scales to tang's, but I have had pretty good success just screwing them on if the wood is good and stable. I currently have no plans to make loose wooden scales. They are a huge pain for me.

... I'm a machinist not a carpenter...

Awesome. And congrats to Mike! (And to Abby on her new braces.)

Understood on the wood scales. I bet a machinist could be a carpenter easier than vice versa. :)

Back