The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Well, thank you Nathan and Jo! This is indeed thrilling, to say the least! Thank you!

Looks like I’ll need to be sending Nathan a bottle of that tequila (Don Julio 1942 - one of the smoothest tequilas I have ever tasted.)

I certainly would not pass up an opportunity to sip the 21 year old The Balvenie. I do appreciate the good whiskies, too.

Thank you everyone, for the well wishes! Always appreciated. Mike

Well, thank you Nathan and Jo! This is indeed thrilling, to say the least! Thank you!

Looks like I’ll need to be sending Nathan a bottle of that tequila (Don Julio 1942 - one of the smoothest tequilas I have ever tasted.)

I certainly would not pass up an opportunity to sip the 21 year old The Balvenie. I do appreciate the good whiskies, too.

Thank you everyone, for the well wishes! Always appreciated. Mike

Congrats Mike:thumbsup: please take a Photography course so we can see it in all it's GLORY:p

right now the plan is to auction one dagger on IG soon. One was promised to Mike many years ago and therefore is spoken for. I hope to finish the last one in time for blade show next year. Those are my tentative plans.

I used to bond wood scales to tang's, but I have had pretty good success just screwing them on if the wood is good and stable. I currently have no plans to make loose wooden scales. They are a huge pain for me.

... I'm a machinist not a carpenter...

Congrats Mike! Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. :thumbsup::)

Question about the HDFK and D3V ...

I was curious if you (Nathan) or others had every reprofiled the edge of your HDFK to a more acute say 15 dps or even 17 dps with a micro bevel ... and know how it would perform and hold up with the D3V ?

It might be used to baton or split smaller pieces of wood for kindling etc ... but not a lot of use as a chopper so much ... or regular intended batoning ...

I know most newer steels handle a 15 to 17 dps well and improve cutting performance ... but I was wondering about a bit larger knife and involving occasion harder use than just cutting card board or plastic etc ...

I am thinking how well it performs and holds up at 20 dps ... I was thinking with the Delta 3V that it would handle the more acute edge and still perform and hold up incredibly well ?

Thanks - JJ

my proto HDFK's primary bevels are ground very thin, and I've used it super hard, including throwing. I've put a couple ripples into the edge through my use, but haven't lost any material to speak of. No chipping at all, that I could see

Nathan, regarding the Behemother:

Since you've already mentioned a sprint run of 100 starting this Septemberish: are you going with Fridays sales? Since these are probably the last of CPK choppers for a while, will you be willing to offer some extra options, such as in the finish / swedge / handle scales?

Nathan, regarding the Behemother:

Since you've already mentioned a sprint run of 100 starting this Septemberish: are you going with Fridays sales? Since these are probably the last of CPK choppers for a while, will you be willing to offer some extra options, such as in the finish / swedge / handle scales?

Yes

Since you've already mentioned a sprint run of 100 starting this Septemberish: are you going with Fridays sales? Since these are probably the last of CPK choppers for a while, will you be willing to offer some extra options, such as in the finish / swedge / handle scales?[/QUOTE]
Can this be narrowed down a little? Please;)

Can this be narrowed down a little? Please;)[/QUOTE]

The Behemother has been in the pipeline a long time. We put it on hold to do the 10" Chopper preorders but we're finished with those now and the Behemother is being dusted off.

They're machining now but the scales are already made and probably won't be revisited. Unfortunately no wood.

We'll do some Friday sales. By their nature, those are already basically made. But, once they're in production and being delivered, existing customers like you (and Uncle Knucklehead ^) could approach Jo to order a customized version with things like a hand ground swedge or an acid wash or satin finish and we'll be able to accommodate them. We may have a few antique micarta scales left over from the pre-order that would be available.

Back