The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, are you a fan of spear point patterns? Do you foresee incorporating a true spear point into any future CPK patterns? Those of us who have been around with you for the past several years know that you do experiment with lowering the point of your knives and / or giving them more bellies as you go through tweaks during the life span of a pattern, but I was discussing the "merits" of spear points with Grog and thought that I'd ask your take.

FWIW, I personally prefer the option of a swedge as an extra add-on feature instead of a classic spear point, but that's just me!

sure :thumbsup:

edit to add: who doesn't!

Last edited:
I love the edge stability on my FK2, delta 3v truly is an amazing steel. However, I really do believe that a decrease in the stock thickness, while maintaining equivalent geometry, would improve cutting performance dramatically without any negative impacts for use seen out in the field.

Nathan, have you ever thought about making a slim utility field knife model with a blade thickness of around 0.15''? I'm sure a lot of us here would love to see that.

Cheers

I recently asked Nathan a similar question where he went into one of his typically long-winded and laborious responses. You can see the question and the answer in this thread linked below in case you have copious time on your hands:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-146#post-19125836

:D :p

I think that he had mentioned 0.145"-0.155" in a follow up but I don't seem to be able to find it now. YMMV!

Hey Nathan ive seen a couple interviews with Ethan Becker at blade show from last year and this year messing around with an original Kephart. He pointed out that the original design is double convexed where the thickest part is around a third of the way down the blade and going towards the spine theres a convex grind as well as the main convex grind towards the edge. He said this wasnt possible for them to do on the Kabar rendition of the Kephart so i was wondering if you'd considered incorporating this feature in your take of it.

Nathan, did you have to commission a newly molded batch of kydex sheath for the double-edge Fighters or do the ones for the single edge UFs fit the same? I imagine if the latter, then you must've sheathed and unsheathed plenty of times to ensure no scratching being caused by the sheath?

I'm getting some leather ones which were based on the single-edge UFs so I was wondering specially since the leather ones are more forgiving in general. Will you get upset if we order the DEF without the kydex?

Nathan, did you have to commission a newly molded batch of kydex sheath for the double-edge Fighters or do the ones for the single edge UFs fit the same? I imagine if the latter, then you must've sheathed and unsheathed plenty of times to ensure no scratching being caused by the sheath?

I'm getting some leather ones which were based on the single-edge UFs so I was wondering specially since the leather ones are more forgiving in general. Will you get upset if we order the DEF without the kydex?
We have commissioned new sheaths.

Hey Nathan ive seen a couple interviews with Ethan Becker at blade show from last year and this year messing around with an original Kephart. He pointed out that the original design is double convexed where the thickest part is around a third of the way down the blade and going towards the spine theres a convex grind as well as the main convex grind towards the edge. He said this wasnt possible for them to do on the Kabar rendition of the Kephart so i was wondering if you'd considered incorporating this feature in your take of it.

I wasn't planning to.

Yeah there are new sheaths for the double grind. Yes, kydex can scuff your finish. If someone orders a satin finish and doesn't want a sheath we can talk about it. Otherwise, a sheath is standard on most patterns.

As with the DEF's for sale on the subforum today, will the stainless fasteners be standard on DEFs or should I specify them (because I want them:)) on current/future DEFs?

I'm moving away from the black oxide fasteners. Pre-orders that were ordered with them will get them as will old patterns (unless specified otherwise) but going forward I'm discontinuing them. People can always request one or the other if they have a preference.

Back