The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, sounds like your preorder list for the UFK (FK2) will offer the largest array of custom options which you'd be offering to this date. I hope that you can load up the thread well ahead of opening the CPK books on this preorder as there will be a lot to mull over and to get excited about :)

I wonder if you would consider adding some wood handle scales but probably not since you're PITA level will be off the chart. That said, I know that reverse psychology often works on Ya. Oops! :D

P.S. Unc. Matty's wet dream: thinner stock and grinds UFK in satin finish and wood handles for a flashy kick-arse kitchen knife heirloom ;)

Yes, in the pre-order you will be able to order thinner grind and edge geometry and also a harder heat treat. I'm using the geometry and heat treat that we use now because in our development we found it gave the best combination of properties, but some people will like the harder thinner blade we used to use.

I have not done extensive testing but it seems to me the regular canvas Micarta is the most durable scale material we offer.

Oh crap! I'm doomed!!! :eek:

2 grind/HT options amongst other custom options..........nathan, you're going to destroy my wallet.

Nathan, I thought I was done picking up sharps, but if you are making higher hardness with thinner stock, how can one resist?

Right? Right??? :eek:

I swore I'd never do a sharp spine, but here we are...

I read this, and my brain hears “a CPK bowie variation is a future possibility”

Yes, in the pre-order you will be able to order thinner grind and edge geometry and also a harder heat treat. I'm using the geometry and heat treat that we use now because in our development we found it gave the best combination of properties, but some people will like the harder thinner blade we used to use.

Oh damn. It just gets better and better!!

Yes. and I will offer an unground-as-machined utility-grade option in the pre-order. But going forward the standard configuration will be ground before tumbling.
Is the as-machined (and tumbled) finish going to be similar to the UF finish or similar to what the previous UFKs had? I noticed that the UF finish has less machining marks compared to the UFKs. I assumed this change was because of the new Mori mill, so I suppose the UFK finish will be similar if they are done on that same machine?

Is the as-machined (and tumbled) finish going to be similar to the UF finish or similar to what the previous UFKs had? I noticed that the UF finish has less machining marks compared to the UFKs. I assumed this change was because of the new Mori mill, so I suppose the UFK finish will be similar if they are done on that same machine?
yup

Back