The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

REPOST:):)

I don't presume to speak for Nathan in any way, but do know for a fact that Nathan is the only one who can finish off the "few" skinner old stock pieces that exist. And I know he is committed to finishing existing orders for knives currently in production. And I know which of these things would come first, at least in my mind, if it were my business - the current orders.

I am pretty sure that with Nathan's committment toward satisfying his customers by completing orders as soon as he can, he probably still feels a certain kind of pressure from these kinds of posts. Maybe we all should lighten up on this particular subject, lol. Hope I am not speaking out of turn here.

Hmmm....

I wish a CPK Skinner was en route to me.

GET IN LINE:D:p

ARE WE DOING THIS AGAIN?:eek::D

Hey now, hands off alls yous! o_O My post (below) brought this up, so I AM FIRST IN LINE!!! :p ;)

Posted similar elsewhere, but leaving it here too.

I'd love to see something similar to the EDC pattern, but thinner stock (maybe 0.1" stock, and ~0.025" BTE) and a shorter edge-to-spine. Like if'n a bird-n-trout and an EDC had a baby. :cool: :thumbsup:

Are any of the #badidea FKs going to be run for Friday sales or are they pre-order only?
Have an excellent weekend!

Per the pre-order thread:

"As I'm building them, some of the knives made will go to this pre-order and some will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife."

But specifically, he asked about the #badidea option being sold in Friday sales.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist how hard will the #badidea option FK2's be run? Looked and couldn't find that info. TIA! :thumbsup:

It’s probably already been covered and it’s probably a stupid question cause they are still cpks. But will the badideas still be hard use in the woods worthy? Cause I don’t abuse but also don’t baby my tools.

Last edited:
I've been seeing this question pop up, about the difference between the standard Delta 3V and the harder thinner version of the Field Knife.

Our brand has always been about enhanced edge retention in rough use, addressing the shortcoming of 3V (and most other complex steels) of a tough steel with high wear resistance that goes dull due to a mushy edge.

3V is designed to be a high carbide lath martensite with stabilized retained austenite. great steel, great potential, absolutely awesome in a stamping tool and worked well as a knife. We gave up some properties that are ideal for a stamping tool such as dimensional stability and safe easy heat treat by utilizing a non-standard heat treat making it better for a knife.

There were the early tweaks, there is the Delta protocol, and some of the early field knives had a non-standard Delta protocol variation that was a combination of one of the harder tweaks and the Delta protocol. this was a multi-step heat treat process designed to put extra carbon into solution and resulted in a plate martensite with a nice crisp edge. In my goal of enhanced edge retention, which is what this has always been all about, I found that this nice crisp edge was wonderful until you start clacking it against stuff, then it was merely good not great. Ultimately, the Delta protocol has better overall edge retention than the higher hardness variation, but for some use that crisp edge lasts longer. So if you're not applying a great deal of lateral stress or impact, you like that thin hard edge. For most uses, it's tough to beat the edge retention, edge stability and wear resistance of standard Delta 3V.

To answer the question, the standard Field Knife is .020 edge thickness before sharpening, the thin variation is a little under .015. The standard hardness is 61, the higher hardness is 62. So they're actually very similar.

I've been seeing this question pop up, about the difference between the standard Delta 3V and the harder thinner version of the Field Knife.

Our brand has always been about enhanced edge retention in rough use, addressing the shortcoming of 3V (and most other complex steels) of a tough steel with high wear resistance that goes dull due to a mushy edge.

3V is designed to be a high carbide lath martensite with stabilized retained austenite. great steel, great potential, absolutely awesome in a stamping tool and worked well as a knife. We gave up some properties that are ideal for a stamping tool such as dimensional stability and safe easy heat treat by utilizing a non-standard heat treat making it better for a knife.

There were the early tweaks, there is the Delta protocol, and some of the early field knives had a non-standard Delta protocol variation that was a combination of one of the harder tweaks and the Delta protocol. this was a multi-step heat treat process designed to put extra carbon into solution and resulted in a plate martensite with a nice crisp edge. In my goal of enhanced edge retention, which is what this has always been all about, I found that this nice crisp edge was wonderful until you start clacking it against stuff, then it was merely good not great. Ultimately, the Delta protocol has better overall edge retention than the higher hardness variation, but for some use that crisp edge lasts longer. So if you're not applying a great deal of lateral stress or impact, you like that thin hard edge. For most uses, it's tough to beat the edge retention, edge stability and wear resistance of standard Delta 3V.

To answer the question, the standard Field Knife is .020 edge thickness before sharpening, the thin variation is a little under .015. The standard hardness is 61, the higher hardness is 62. So they're actually very similar.

This all being said; I think I am going with the standard specifically for my theory that the extra hardness with thinner profile will be less tolerant to cold (I wouldn’t call it extreme cold but being used on frozen wood down to -30C or so).
Is this me over thinking it or will cold temps have a negative effect/create more brittleness to the steel at this level?

Thanks
Andy

This all being said; I think I am going with the standard specifically for my theory that the extra hardness with thinner profile will be less tolerant to cold (I wouldn’t call it extreme cold but being used on frozen wood down to -30C or so).
Is this me over thinking it or will cold temps have a negative effect/create more brittleness to the steel at this level?

Thanks
Andy

Personally I would use the standard. It's already pretty hard and thin.

Nathan, on the FK2 orders is it possible to get the spine sharpened in only about about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in front of the thumb ramp and leaving the rest chamfered? This would be the best of both worlds. A sharp spine to throw sparks/fluff sticks and an easy on the thumb spot up towards the tip for fine work.

Back