The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan,

Can we get the preorder FK2 with the vertical grind marks left intact along with the hand rubbed satin finish like my EDC2 pictured below?

View attachment 1213396

Darren, luv that contrast and have one of those EDC2s with the DIW but don’t think that he’s gonna do that because it seems that he’s going along the edge with his hand rub finish at 220 grit. That’s why I upgraded my satin request to incorporate acid-wash effect on the flat.

Maybe he’ll do some as Fun Friday Sale? #stillnotnathan

That's what the satin grind will look like

That's awesome news! My pic doesn't capture it very well but the vertical grind marks along with the horizontal hand rubbed finish look outstanding together. To me, this is the sharpest finish I have seen on any CPK, or any other knife for that matter.

Thank you sir and thanks for the options. I know the various options on the FK2 preorder is a PITA, but we are very grateful for them. :D :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Personal knife or a Fun Friday sale (FFS)? How about a Surprise Fun Friday Sale (SFFS)? ;)

SEvbdhE.jpg

Does this have to do something with preventing the wood from potential future warping, by not cutting into the wood in the butt end of the tang?

#NotevenclosetobeingNathan

If this contributed to, or caused warping, there'd be other things going on.

I suspect that it would present a bunch more machining steps to flatten BOTH sides of a piece of wood to perform the machining to the back side of the scale that simply don't have to be done on a piece of micarta or G10. I could be imagining things, but having done just one or two of these, I am visualizing how the Evil Genius probably manufactures scales, this feature would add a bunch of steps that are just impractical for him (Not that he couldn't do it). But I don't think a lanyard pocket creates a problem for warping or cracking. Just my opinion.

But after hearing the level of effort to machine rubber inlaid scales :eek:, this maybe isn't a big deal at all. In which case, Nathan can politely tell me to sit down and STFU.

Nope, it's not a problem to cut that notch, but most people don't use it and I was concerned that cutting it into the wood scales (through the liner) might be asking for trouble with break from the machining or a crack developing in the wood down the road.

Nope, it's not a problem to cut that notch, but most people don't use it and I was concerned that cutting it into the wood scales (through the liner) might be asking for trouble with break from the machining or a crack developing in the wood down the road.

....well, if you used something better than Popsicle sticks.

For the record, I'm always amazed at the level of forethought that goes into your knives, every aspect and every iteration.

....well, if you used something better than Popsicle sticks.

For the record, I'm always amazed at the level of forethought that goes into your knives, every aspect and every iteration.

^^^^^ THIS ... I am not often surprised by products or companies ... but it still is somewhat amazing how no matter what design of your knives I have purchased ... each feels as though they were made for my hand (which is crazy good) ... and the way each does what it is designed to do so well ...

I picture Nathan jumping up out of bed going to the shop two or three times a night when he is working on a new project ... until it is just right. o_O

Back