The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Could I get green terotuf on a natural liner on the upcoming FK2 sale? Do you have any idea how stunning that would be? Can I have three one word answers to my questions?
I could run a sheet like that at some point in the future but the scales on the upcoming knives are already made. We won't be running more Field Knife scales until next spring.

Are there going to be any ‘bad idea’ FK2s up for grabs in this Friday’s sale, or are they all going to be the standard thickness this time around?
the thin ones will be the last ones coming off the machine because I will need to modify the fixturing.

the thin ones are getting a slightly different heat treat protocol. I like to have those by themselves so there's no risk of them accidentally getting mixed in with the standard protocol.

so the thin Field Knives are going to be the very last knives to finish up, which puts them out into next year.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist sorry to call you out twice in one night! That being said I've heard tale of you enjoying a beer or brown liquor in your day. As a member of the Kentucky Bourbon Society and a home grown "kentucky brown water" expert who's finally returned home, what's your poison? You a buffalo trace, Jim jeam, heaven hill, or ext. Guy/family?

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist sorry to call you out twice in one night! That being said I've heard tale of you enjoying a beer or brown liquor in your day. As a member of the Kentucky Bourbon Society and a home grown "kentucky brown water" expert who's finally returned home, what's your poison? You a buffalo trace, Jim jeam, heaven hill, or ext. Guy/family?
#notNathan, but how bout some Pappy!?? ;)

^^ believe it or not I actually have a recipe that includes W L Wellers that is spot on pappy 23 without the wait. I may have a bottle in my stash, but trust me, you're better served with a more "obtainable" batch. The great part about being in bourbon country is that you know where the value per sip is ;)

^^ believe it or not I actually have a recipe that includes W L Wellers that is spot on pappy 23 without the wait. I may have a bottle in my stash, but trust me, you're better served with a more "obtainable" batch. The great part about being in bourbon country is that you know where the value per sip is ;)
You’ve got my ear. PM inbound

ETA: Thanks for all the excellent info Dave! Your PM was most helpful :)

Last edited:
Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist brown liquor in your day. As a member of the Kentucky Bourbon Society and a home grown "kentucky brown water" expert who's finally returned home, what's your poison? You a buffalo trace, Jim jeam, heaven hill, or ext. Guy/family?

I enjoy bourbon, but I have always been more of a scotch drinker. My favorite Scotch is the cheapest Laphroaig they sell, the regular 10-year stuff. I don't particularly care for exceptionally smooth liquor, I prefer a smelly young single malt with some bite.

I did just recently finish a bottle of Defiant. I enjoyed that with ice. I still like Maker's Mark and Booker's. I used to drink these things straight, but now that my freezer has that convenient ice maker in the door on it I'll put a few cubes in sometimes.

I usually stick to beer these days. Helps you stay hydrated...

there's a pretty amazing whisky festival in my neck of the woods coming up in January. My buddy, Noel, who owns a certain boutique bicycle company always comes by for a visit with a nice sampling of fire water to try out. It's the only time of the year I'll drink alcohol and it's fucking glorious. Can't wait

I enjoy bourbon, but I have always been more of a scotch drinker. My favorite Scotch is the cheapest Laphroaig they sell, the regular 10-year stuff. I don't particularly care for exceptionally smooth liquor, I prefer a smelly young single malt with some bite.

Know exactly what you mean. Laphroaig does have that distinctive bite.

Nathan, is your 40 percent off sale on daggers going to be held on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

All of our sales are sales. Although our product is relatively expensive, it is also one of the best values out there. No need to wait for some arbitrary date.

Back