The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist any photos of the square-spined Field Knives yet? Haven’t seen any posts with them yet (or are they not quite ready yet?)

Cheers
Andy

I left a bump on the back of the spine that I'll remove once the blade finished. There are none finished yet so there's nothing to show yet. I will have some of the hard thin with the square spine finished in a couple weeks, they are in heat treat now.

Good morning Nathan is there any chance that we'll see FK2's with a swedge any time soon?

20200214_094840.jpg

I have some ready for heat treat now.

If there are any left over after the pre-orders have been covered I will make some available on a Friday sale

Nathan, I have been fascinated with 4V and/or V4E recently. I think it has much more potential that most people give it credit for. For some reason it seems like a lot of people are under the impression that it is not tough or not good for hard use. I disagree with that sentiment. A friend of mine just built me a very large chopper out of it and I'm loving it so far. We deferred to your recommendation on a low temp temper through Peters and brought it to 63 HRC. It requires more testing but thus far I have no regrets about using this steel and your recommended heat treat. However I am curious about something. Is there anything that can be done in heat treating 4V that will make it more corrosion resistant much like the delta protocol did for 3V? I know it has less Chromium then 3V and will never reach that level of corrosion resistance but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Thanks!

Nathan, I have been fascinated with 4V and/or V4E recently. I think it has much more potential that most people give it credit for. For some reason it seems like a lot of people are under the impression that it is not tough or not good for hard use. I disagree with that sentiment. A friend of mine just built me a very large chopper out of it and I'm loving it so far. We deferred to your recommendation on a low temp temper through Peters and brought it to 63 HRC. It requires more testing but thus far I have no regrets about using this steel and your recommended heat treat. However I am curious about something. Is there anything that can be done in heat treating 4V that will make it more corrosion resistant much like the delta protocol did for 3V? I know it has less Chromium then 3V and will never reach that level of corrosion resistance but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Thanks!

Yes but you've already done it. The low temp tweak leaves as much free chrome as you're gonna get in that alloy. The low chrome and high carbon limits the corrosion resistance potential.

Back