The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

And what are the advantages compared to 3V?

Is lands somewhere between 3V and 4V in its properties. The alloying looks promising for a good response to a knife application optimized heat treat. I expect it has good edge stability potential and might be a good candidate for small hard knives above HRC 62.

it won't be nearly stainless like 3V can be, but it will be better than 4V in that regard

Is lands somewhere between 3V and 4V in its properties. The alloying looks promising for a good response to a knife application optimized heat treat. I expect it has good edge stability potential and might be a good candidate for small hard knives above HRC 62.

it won't be nearly stainless like 3V can be, but it will be better than 4V in that regard

Maybe a thin hard FK2 or DEK? :thumbsup::)

Maybe a thin hard FK2 or DEK? :thumbsup::)

Or maybe smaller? Like your skinner?

IIRC, the whole thing about Nathan's Skinner was his wizardry with D2 so if it is indeed going to be a skinner and not some kitchen type knife, Nathan may still stick with D2 as his primary steel of choice with D3V or maybe optimized Cruware / AEB-L as alternatives for less skinning usage.

#stillnotnathan

Just looking for an update on the integral shiv? Or possibly another run on the original shiv? Seems like there would be plenty of demand for those!
Thanks, Jeff

The original is retired but I'd dust it off again if a military unit wanted it but it looks like the UF is more popular for those users. I don't think we'll be seeing more of them.

The Integral Shiv will be a little more elaborate. It won't be a standard pattern but more of a special run. I had planned to be into those now but the K18 is a higher priority and it's shaping up to be a real ass kicker.

I think the K18 is probably going to be late. I don't see any way around it at this point. There are some challenges scaling up our process but it's the stupid little things that are tripping me up. I'll get it done, that's not a concern, but it's not moving as quickly as I'd like. And until it's done things like daggers and integrals and folders can't get a lot of attention.

The engraving is only .003 deep nominally. Due to tolerance stack-up you can get some variation depth of the engraving tool and the height of the surfaces being engraved that can add up to a couple thou which can make it light or dark. So my criteria is: is it legible...

There are a few outliers that are pretty bold or pretty light. Such is the nature of making a lot of things.

We have scrapped some knives for being too far out of whack, and that stings to discard a good tool like that just because some non-functional mark isn't quite right, so I do let some through that look slightly weird but are perfectly functional

The engraving is only .003 deep nominally. Due to tolerance stack-up you can get some variation depth of the engraving tool and the height of the surfaces being engraved that can add up to a couple thou which can make it light or dark. So my criteria is: is it legible...

There are a few outliers that are pretty bold or pretty light. Such is the nature of making a lot of things.

We have scrapped some knives for being too far out of whack, and that stings to discard a good tool like that just because some non-functional mark isn't quite right, so I do let some through that look slightly weird but are perfectly functional
Thanks for responding! That is cool info. I wasn’t worried about if effecting function at all; this wasn’t one of those complain/rag on your work questions. I was worried I paid for a knockoff if that’s even possible.

I think the K18 is probably going to be late. I don't see any way around it at this point. There are some challenges scaling up our process but it's the stupid little things that are tripping me up. I'll get it done, that's not a concern, but it's not moving as quickly as I'd like. And until it's done things like daggers and integrals and folders can't get a lot of attention.

Delays Happen, it's inevitable on some models (especially a new model that has not been made before)

I have 3 question's Nathan

How long do you anticipate the Delay will be on the K-18?

What are you thinking as far as Daggers (From a Design standpoint)

Will the Integral Shiv be familiar (Similar) in design to the Original Shiv

Thanks

Tom

Back