The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

What's the probability of an EDC pre-order?

Pretty good. Down the road.

I have two sheets of 3V, one sheet of 4V and a sheet of Crucible non-CPM D2 on order for the next batch, which should yield ~200. We'll start cutting chips in about a month (I'm milling Light Choppers now). So, the Field Knife was this year's big run (and will probably be retired because I've made a lot of them), so the EDC will probably be next year's big run.

Hey Nate, are you planning to retire the FK pre-order pretty soon(ish) or by the end of the year?

Last edited:
Hey Nate, are you planning to retire the FK pre-order pretty soon(ish) or by the end of the year?

*shrug*

It's going smooth without drama. I haven't decided when to close it. Surely by the end of the year, but maybe by the end of next week. I really don't have any specific plans with that.

by 'retire', do mean 'with extreme prejudice'? :D

4V? Hmmm, very interesting! More percentile carbon, less chromium and more Vanadium according to the Crucible Ind. data sheets. I wonder what new CPK model(s) will be produced in CPM-4V?!

Hi Nathan just wanted to say I appreciate what you're doing as far as the pre-orders so everyone who wants one can get one.:D

As an aside, from what I know about your quality and protocols, I have no doubt that when I receive my FK, it'll be my favorite and most used in that size range. I can't wait!!:)

4V? Hmmm, very interesting! More percentile carbon, less chromium and more Vanadium according to the Crucible Ind. data sheets. I wonder what new CPK model(s) will be produced in CPM-4V?!

4V is chemically the same and made with a similar process as Vanadis 4E, which Dan has been using to the win competitions for the last few years, so I want to look at offering it on knives that need edge stability and edge retention more than gross toughness. It's still a tough steel, just not 3V tough. I may use it on a chopper at some point too.

And I'm using D2 because, done properly, I think it's one of the most under rated steels there is. There are a lot of folks who have gotten into the super steels and have never really tried it (with an optimal HT) before and don't know what they're missing. If you're cutting things like hide or cardboard a lot, it really performs.

4V is chemically the same and made with a similar process as Vanadis 4E, which Dan has been using to the win competitions for the last few years, so I want to look at offering it on knives that need edge stability and edge retention more than gross toughness. It's still a tough steel, just not 3V tough. I may use it on a chopper at some point too.

And I'm using D2 because, done properly, I think it's one of the most under rated steels there is. There are a lot of folks who have gotten into the super steels and have never really tried it (with an optimal HT) before and don't know what they're missing. If you're cutting things like hide or cardboard a lot, it really performs.

Yes Sir! That's me and I had tended to shy away from D2 in the past.

I have a production knife that uses D2 and it's been a real disappointment in the edge taking and holding department. Will chalk it up to bad heat treat, and will look forward to trying the real deal.
A bushcrafty type thing with D2 could be pretty cool... ;)

I have a production knife that uses D2 and it's been a real disappointment in the edge taking and holding department. Will chalk it up to bad heat treat.

There are so many people using the "tool and die" HT for D2 rather than an appropriate HT that it developed the reputation "takes a lousy edge and holds it forever". The reality is, it will never have the fine edge stability of something like AEBL or W2, but for most folks it can be more than adequate, and the edge holding and toothy edge are really quite special.

Also, much of the D2 that makers are using is import. They think it's USA because it comes from an American company and has a "USA" sticker on the box, but that company doesn't actually make steel. This will be Crucible D2, which is pretty good stuff. And not the CPM D2 either. I could have used the CPM D2 and the cost would have been a wash. I have my reasons.

Many production knives are not just import D2, but are import heat treated blades from China. Hence a lot of folks aren't getting the "good stuff". There's a huge difference, you'll see. :thumbup:

I'm guessing d2 in a dedicated skinning knife would be really cool. I'd buy one!

Thanks for answering questions Nathan! :thumbup:

Will there be a pre-order for the Light Chopper?
I've had TERRIBLE luck trying to score one in the sales threads, the demand is just INSANE! :eek:

Thanks for answering questions Nathan! :thumbup:

Will there be a pre-order for the Light Chopper?
I've had TERRIBLE luck trying to score one in the sales threads, the demand is just INSANE! :eek:

Probably not. These are very time consuming to make. My output on them is very low.

I was just about to ask the possibility of seeing something from you in Vanadis 4 Extra. I'll take it that you'll stick with CPM 4V then? What are your thoughts on 4V vs D2 with your heat treat in a skinning/field dressing blade?

I'd love to give some of your D2 a try Nathan. When you were describing the sheets of steel previously, is that D2 set aside for the EDC pattern, or perhaps something else?

I'm not sure what all the forum rules are on selling, so I have avoided making any judgments on folks selling here. I'm open to discussion on having a thread here for accessories (sheaths, liners, scales, screws etc.) and services (finishing, coatings, sharpening, pimping etc)

Since it is your forum, you can do almost anything you want as far as a thread letting people start a thread on those things so long as the participants have the correct membership based on what they are trying to do.

AFAIK you can even have a thread with people listing their CPK for sale to try and help out the to other sub forum users.

I think there are limits when it comes to politics, religion and other W&C stuff however.

I was just about to ask the possibility of seeing something from you in Vanadis 4 Extra. I'll take it that you'll stick with CPM 4V then? What are your thoughts on 4V vs D2 with your heat treat in a skinning/field dressing blade?

Vanadis 4e is one of my most favored steels, as far as research goes, I do have a zt fixed blade in that steel, and love the actual steel, the knife not so much. I could only imagine how good it could be with a custom heat treat! 4v is just the American version of it, with some really slight differences in chemical makeup.

Thanks. I'm trying to get up to speed on V4E/4V so I can make an informed purchase at some point.

Back