The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

You can reinstall the scales and use red loctite on the fasteners. Then use a small drill (3/32") and drill out the hex on those screws, making them round. then, sleep easy knowing it will never, in your lifetime, matter in the slightest that the tang has developed black spots under the scale.

Best answer, like, ever

View attachment 1434298

The super janky Cates Carothers kitchen knife. One day it will be mine.

It's a real turd....

I am glad I am not the only nerd who would waaaayyy over-handle a kitchen utensil.....

Gsnt8Cpl.jpg

N
I am glad I am not the only nerd who would waaaayyy over-handle a kitchen utensil.....

Gsnt8Cpl.jpg
No pictures handy but my grandmother had a habit of breaking things and my grandfather would way overbuild the repair. I have a couple of kitchen spoons where the handle was originally a 12” flathead screwdriver and he bent it and screwed the spoon to the head.

I remember you telling us a story about taking the handle off an old family knife and how much rust was under there etc one time the rust under handle topic came up.

Is that the one?

Yes. This blade was pretty thin, probably not much more than a 16th of an inch thick. The rust had taken its toll and was starting to represent a structural issue. But that's a thin carbon steel kitchen knife over generations of use. I don't think that rust under a scale of a Delta 3V knife will ever represent a problem in a person's lifetime.

Yes. This blade was pretty thin, probably not much more than a 16th of an inch thick. The rust had taken its toll and was starting to represent a structural issue. But that's a thin carbon steel kitchen knife over generations of use. I don't think that rust under a scale of a Delta 3V knife will ever represent a problem in a person's lifetime.

I agree with you on all accounts.

Schrödinger's spot.

While I completely agree, especially with the thickness of the tang, you may not be fully cognizant of just how many CPK fans are a little (or a lot) OCD, especially the ones who have multiple scale options for each CPK and will swap between them as their mood/preferences dictate.

I just stick with Terotuf for the choppers (except the Behemother with the sweet, extremely limited edition micarta and rubber inlay scales), and micarta or G10 for the smaller knives.

I do however, pull the scales off and apply a coat of protectant on the tang before replacing the scales and never thinking/worrying about it again.

Meridian Meridian
If the rust is just light/surface corrosion, as mentioned, Flitz metal polish can work, and I've used this on high carbon kitchen knives as well (Rust eraser. It's some kind of rubber eraser with a compound that will rub off surface corrosion)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FS0BFJC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Apply a coat of protectant like Obernauf's (I've also used TC-11). I prefer the waxy type protectants over the oil types, although I'm actually considering using the newer ceramic automotive coats available everywhere these days on any new CPKs, seeing how well the coating on my car has held up to the elements over the course of 18 months.

While I completely agree, especially with the thickness of the tang, you may not be fully cognizant of just how many CPK fans are a little (or a lot) OCD, especially the ones who have multiple scale options for each CPK and will swap between them as their mood/preferences dictate.

I just stick with Terotuf for the choppers (except the Behemother with the sweet, extremely limited edition micarta and rubber inlay scales), and micarta or G10 for the smaller knives.

I do however, pull the scales off and apply a coat of protectant on the tang before replacing the scales and never thinking/worrying about it again.

Meridian Meridian
If the rust is just light/surface corrosion, as mentioned, Flitz metal polish can work, and I've used this on high carbon kitchen knives as well (Rust eraser. It's some kind of rubber eraser with a compound that will rub off surface corrosion)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FS0BFJC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Apply a coat of protectant like Obernauf's (I've also used TC-11). I prefer the waxy type protectants over the oil types, although I'm actually considering using the newer ceramic automotive coats available everywhere these days on any new CPKs, seeing how well the coating on my car has held up to the elements over the course of 18 months.

I use Obenauf’s LP on the tang under the scales because in the event a little squeezes out it’s food safe enough for me and it’s easy to remove.

After 2 years of use I’ve had the LP look as good as when I added it. That includes washing the knife in water. I also put some under the mating surfaces of the fasteners.

Just got up to see my folks this weekend and thought I’d throw a pic of this old timer into the mix. This little paring knife has been in the family since as long as my mom can remember, mid ‘40s at least. My dad rehandled it well over 20 years ago with what I believe is walnut when the original wood started falling off the pins.

Lost a fair amount of blade to 70-80 years or more of sharpening, but still plenty of life left.

33CE85CF-21C3-44D8-853D-78A01FC9366E.jpeg

Winston

Last edited:
Just got up to see my folks this weekend and thought I’d throw a pic of this old timer into the mix. This little paring knife has been in the family since as long as my mom can remember, mid ‘40s at least. My dad rehandled it well over 20 years ago with what I believe is walnut when the original wood started falling off the pins.

Lost a fair amount of blade to 70-80 years or more of sharpening, but still plenty of life left.

View attachment 1435039

Winston
A perfect knife for ducks, doves and smaller fresh water fish.

Hey Boss, what should be CPK's animal spirit? I know that Matthew Gregory is your AS but what is CPK's? I mean, Busse has its own and so does Fiddleback not to state the obvious. What's ours?

ETA: maybe that viper you beheaded a little while ago? Perhaps Mark with that demonic blowfish pose? I'm running outta ideas!

Hey Boss, what should be CPK's animal spirit? I know that Matthew Gregory is your AS but what is CPK's? I mean, Busse has its own and so does Fiddleback not to state the obvious. What's ours?

ETA: maybe that viper you beheaded a little while ago? Perhaps Mark with that demonic blowfish pose? I'm running outta ideas!

A pink fuzzy unicorn

Back