1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    ~22x24, 1 degree indexing, 60 tool, 1000 psi through the spindle coolant, 14000 rpm dual contact, 30 hp NH5000. I've been wanting one to match our NV5000 that we love so much. Stole it at auction. I'm pretty stoked.

2. Wood5045

Wood5045 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Trench sword.....????? More info plz

TommyGun56, Odog27, jus_gus and 5 others like this.
  3. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Wow!!! Exciting times. Mike

4. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    My wallet just skipped a beat

SwarthyGnome, Odog27, jus_gus and 6 others like this.
  5. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Oh wow... :eek:

[​IMG]

David Lennon, Odog27, jus_gus and 6 others like this.
  6. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Never even knew a kukri had been discussed. How did I miss that?

Odog27, jus_gus, duramax and 4 others like this.
  7. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    I do believe you can Blame/Thank @Lorien for that.

Odog27, jus_gus, duramax and 4 others like this.
  8. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    It means that someday you could retire by the beach.

9. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

10. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Nathan, what will be the difference (besides cost) of the basic knives vs. the signature series? Speaking of cost do you have approximate pricing?

11. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    This please:D:thumbsup:

EDIT: I was going to ask you if there were any more collaborations s in the works with Dr. Dan

and there it is :p

vkp78, Wood5045, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm not sure. I think it's like a trench knife except it's for murdering multiple people standing in rows? *shrug*. I guess we'll see.

Knowing you guys, you'll be using it for wood processing or something. ...lol...

Ian80, Organic556, vkp78 and 7 others like this.
  13. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds like something every household in America should be equipped with. Regardless, can't wait to see it.

Murdering multiple people standing in rows is something I might need during Upcoming Friday Sales:D

Thanks

Tom

David Lennon, Mike157, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  14. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Or carving a really big turkey:D

Mike157, Odog27, TommyGun56 and 2 others like this.
  15. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    The Trench sword, Tanto, and Kukri are intriguing.
    [​IMG]

PS and of course the Integral Shiv!:thumbsup::)

Addendum: I have no need for wood processing, so I like to fantasize about slaying my imaginary enemies. :confused::eek::D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    fkctrjt121, BIGDORK, duramax and 3 others like this.
  16. Hundred Acre Wood

Hundred Acre Wood

Mar 19, 2017
    I will of course buy all of these for no other reason than because you're the one selling them, and your quality product deserves my money.

But let's get to the important stuff!
    Please tell me this is the 8" chef knife with matching paring knife in AEB-L that the universe has been begging for for the last 3 years*! This is the one thing I'll actually use on a daily basis, and that will bring so much joy into my life.

The word "possible" is terribly nerve-racking. Is it "possible" as in "may never happen", or "possible" as in "may not happen soon"?

*By the universe I mean me.

Phill50, vkp78, Odog27 and 7 others like this.
  17. steelcitysixteen

steelcitysixteen Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2017

Oh man, this would get my money so fast. Yes to AEB-L on these. But maybe throw a D3V cleaver into the mix for good measure!

I agree as well about getting use. I love the HDFK, FK2, Boot Knife, Shivs, Choppers, etc., but I don't have the opportunity to use them often being an urban wage slave. :( An AEB-L Chef/Paring kitchen set would see daily use and joy!

David Lennon, vkp78, Odog27 and 8 others like this.
  18. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    It is indeed an 8" single bevel American santoku similar in concept to the old 6" potato knife. I ordered a bunch of AEBL for a stainless option for the upcoming Kephart and there's more than I need for that. I've been wanting to revisit the kitchen knife and there's enough for a micro run of 50. We're considering it. We've already decked and sized the stock for it and there is a preliminary design. Of course a run of 50 isn't really enough to justify the setup and based on the last sale it might only be enough inventory to piss people off. So Idunno...

19. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/89a3f998-145b-48c8-b5d4-a6f961556465

Only 50?