1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Hundred Acre Wood

Hundred Acre Wood

Mar 19, 2017
    This sounds spectacular! Sign me up for one!

You're a skilled perfectionist (which is why we all love your product), and what creates this crazed demand. Don't conflate people's disappointment in not being able to *get* your product with a disappointment in you or your product. Those are two very different situations.

The only way sour grapes wouldn't happen if is you were able to produce too much product. And then where would your business be? Certainly not a good position. You know that you can't please all the people all the time, but you certainly please most of the people, most of the time. That's all anyone can hope for. Accept that success brings with it some baggage.

Keep producing good product at a fair price, and good things will keep happening. Your product and customer service* are second to none, and I can't say that about very many businesses.

* By customer service I mean Jo's awesomeness, you're a grumpy old man.

2. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Sounds like it will be about “two weeks” :p

Winston

jus_gus, Odog27, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  3. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Uhhhh... as many people as there've been asking for a kitchen knife or the return of the potato knife... maybe order another truckload of AEB-L just for the kitchen knives?

A pre-order for that, that's kept open for a week (or at LEAST a weekend) should make it easy to know exactly what the demand is AND how much steel to get, 'cuz I can assure you, it's waaaayyyy more than 50.

As mentioned, these would be THE most widely used pattern of ANY CPKs. While there are some CPK'ers who use some of their CPKs daily, a kitchen knife would be something that the overwhelming majority of people could and would use daily.

4. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    ^^^^^This guy, he gets it......

5. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    I'd do my darnedest to be on page one of that pre-order.

6. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I would most likely order several, to give as gifts to family and friends (at least the ones that are capable of appreciating such a knife). Mike

untytled, JJ_Colt45, vkp78 and 7 others like this.
  7. moparsbob

moparsbob Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    You might as well order more AEB-L now - you know you're going to need it :)

untytled, Mike157, bluemax_1 and 5 others like this.
  8. trevitrace

Jul 21, 2013
    @Nathan the Machinist, I'm sure it's been asked at some point, but why do you go with single bevel on your kitchen knives?

Mike157, jus_gus, bluemax_1 and 3 others like this.
  9. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Any sane bookie wouldn't risk taking bets that you'd be the only one doing that.

Odog27, Mike157, jus_gus and 3 others like this.
  10. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I thought the K18 was going to be the last sword project? Guess Nathan pulled out all his hair on the K18 but figured since he was now bald he wouldn't pull any hair out on a trench sword...

TommyGun56, vkp78, Odog27 and 5 others like this.
  11. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    it's the hottest market right now in the industry. There should definitely be a CPK kitchen knife available soon!

jus_gus, woodysone, JJ_Colt45 and 7 others like this.
  12. vkp78

vkp78 Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    ditto!

Mike157, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  13. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I’m in for one.

14. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    If you're cutting firm food like potatoes or carrots or even mushrooms the geometry that kicks the food off would bind if it were on both sides. A lot of Japanese knives are done this way for that reason.

15. trevitrace

Jul 21, 2013
    Thank you, sir.

Odog27, Mike157 and jus_gus like this.
  16. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Nathan, I was just wondering if you had any firm specs for the Kephart design yet?

Meridian, Mike157, Organic556 and 3 others like this.
  17. Keoneloa

Keoneloa Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2016
    In process:
    DEK1
    4" Dagger
    K18 sword

May I ask, out of pure twitchy self interest, if these DEK-1's are for the pre-orders?
    thanks Nathan!

- SpyderMan -, woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  18. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Yeah man, Horace Kephart's knife design.

vkp78, jus_gus, Meridian and 7 others like this.
  19. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Yes. These are DEK1 for the pre-order.

vkp78, jus_gus, duramax and 5 others like this.
  20. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Great, I'm really looking forward to this one and seeing what you do with handle/grip.