The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

It is indeed an 8" single bevel American santoku similar in concept to the old 6" potato knife. I ordered a bunch of AEBL for a stainless option for the upcoming Kephart and there's more than I need for that. I've been wanting to revisit the kitchen knife and there's enough for a micro run of 50. We're considering it. We've already decked and sized the stock for it and there is a preliminary design. Of course a run of 50 isn't really enough to justify the setup and based on the last sale it might only be enough inventory to piss people off. So Idunno...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/89a3f998-145b-48c8-b5d4-a6f961556465

Only 50?

It is indeed an 8" single bevel American santoku similar in concept to the old 6" potato knife. I ordered a bunch of AEBL for a stainless option for the upcoming Kephart and there's more than I need for that.

This sounds spectacular! Sign me up for one!

I've been wanting to revisit the kitchen knife and there's enough for a micro run of 50. We're considering it. We've already decked and sized the stock for it and there is a preliminary design. Of course a run of 50 isn't really enough to justify the setup and based on the last sale it might only be enough inventory to piss people off. So Idunno...

You're a skilled perfectionist (which is why we all love your product), and what creates this crazed demand. Don't conflate people's disappointment in not being able to *get* your product with a disappointment in you or your product. Those are two very different situations.

The only way sour grapes wouldn't happen if is you were able to produce too much product. And then where would your business be? Certainly not a good position. You know that you can't please all the people all the time, but you certainly please most of the people, most of the time. That's all anyone can hope for. Accept that success brings with it some baggage.

Keep producing good product at a fair price, and good things will keep happening. Your product and customer service* are second to none, and I can't say that about very many businesses.

* By customer service I mean Jo's awesomeness, you're a grumpy old man.

It is indeed an 8" single bevel American santoku similar in concept to the old 6" potato knife. I ordered a bunch of AEBL for a stainless option for the upcoming Kephart and there's more than I need for that. I've been wanting to revisit the kitchen knife and there's enough for a micro run of 50. We're considering it. We've already decked and sized the stock for it and there is a preliminary design. Of course a run of 50 isn't really enough to justify the setup and based on the last sale it might only be enough inventory to piss people off. So Idunno...
Uhhhh... as many people as there've been asking for a kitchen knife or the return of the potato knife... maybe order another truckload of AEB-L just for the kitchen knives?

A pre-order for that, that's kept open for a week (or at LEAST a weekend) should make it easy to know exactly what the demand is AND how much steel to get, 'cuz I can assure you, it's waaaayyyy more than 50.

As mentioned, these would be THE most widely used pattern of ANY CPKs. While there are some CPK'ers who use some of their CPKs daily, a kitchen knife would be something that the overwhelming majority of people could and would use daily.

Uhhhh... as many people as there've been asking for a kitchen knife or the return of the potato knife... maybe order another truckload of AEB-L just for the kitchen knives?

A pre-order for that, that's kept open for a week (or at LEAST a weekend) should make it easy to know exactly what the demand is AND how much steel to get, 'cuz I can assure you, it's waaaayyyy more than 50.

As mentioned, these would be THE most widely used pattern of ANY CPKs. While there are some CPK'ers who use some of their CPKs daily, a kitchen knife would be something that the overwhelming majority of people could and would use daily.
it's the hottest market right now in the industry. There should definitely be a CPK kitchen knife available soon!

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , I'm sure it's been asked at some point, but why do you go with single bevel on your kitchen knives?

If you're cutting firm food like potatoes or carrots or even mushrooms the geometry that kicks the food off would bind if it were on both sides. A lot of Japanese knives are done this way for that reason.

Back