1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm not seeing any real definitive answers to this after some looking, so @Nathan the Machinist would you mind posting a shipping update on the recent 40 boot daggers? Sorry if I'm being a pain in your ass.

Odog27 likes this.
  2. steelcitysixteen

steelcitysixteen Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2017
    I was #6 in the sale and I got my shipping notice today.

vkp78, Mike157, Odog27 and 1 other person like this.
  3. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Was #3 and received my dagger yesterday

Mike157 and Odog27 like this.
  4. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    The eagle has landed!

jus_gus, nandok, Mike157 and 3 others like this.
  5. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    It's 9:00 and I just got in from the shop from sharpening. It's been a long day.

We won a machine that I've been coveting for years at a recent auction. It was kind of a long shot and I'm pretty stoked to get it in. But it was disruptive and this screwed up some of our production schedule here. We're working on daggers now and we are shipping but it is slow going because I'm the only one here who does well sharpening them and my attention is split up several different ways.

We're working on it.

6. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks Nathan, I appreciate it! I'm patient. :)

7. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    @Nathan the Machinist after seeing multiple pictures of the boot dagger, I'd say this dagger, to me, has some Bob Loveless characteristics. Was there any Loveless influence used in this design?

woodysone, jus_gus, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  8. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I sure hope so, I'd love it if mine arrived with a mirror finish! Somehow I doubt it, he was already spending 20 minutes just on the sharpening...

9. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007

5-Inch-Dagger-Large.jpg

I can see what you're referring to, but no, that might be a coincidence.

db0c45490f9bc47616fc6856020c7380.jpg

However every dagger I make is inspired by Billy Mace Imel. That's not to say there is deliberate borrowing of design elements as much as simply literally inspired.

His are art knives whereas mine are functional, but I always measure myself against him.

10. David Lennon

David Lennon Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Just finished our new kitchen and most of the house ( it only took nearly 7 years since we bought a skeleton of blocked walls and concrete floors :rolleyes:) . I immediately thought of a potato knife but I knew they only come up rarely and I have Global knives I bought nearly 8 years ago. But I want this bad even though I'd burn water :oops: I know it will be class. If I bring in my HDFK or LC to the kitchen I think she will believe I've finally lost it:p.
    Hope you all had a good holiday.

11. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Oh man! I probably overstayed my welcome at the Billy Mace Imel table at the last Blade Show. He and his wife are very gracious, but one could spend hours admiring their work. Mike

12. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Hi Nathan,

Just a quick question, if I use a knife and the finish becomes blah lol :) Do you offer any refurbishing. Like maybe stonewashed or acid , not asking for a custom or fancy finish.

Thanks,

Bill

13. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    No, at least at this point we're not able to offer any kind of spa services. Not while we have other orders waiting. We have a lot on our plate without bringing in additional work. That and we tend to lose stuff when people send it here.

Maybe someday.

14. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Ok , thank you :)

So just buy spares to admire and another to use ;):p:D Got it :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

gk4ever2, Murphjd25, vkp78 and 7 others like this.
  15. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    That's what I've been doing Bill.

duramax, jus_gus, Mike157 and 3 others like this.
  16. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Hello Nathan, can you recommend anyone who might be able to make a custom knife display/stand? I was thinking something using the CPK logo where the Shiv could be put in being held by magnets. Kind of like a crown jewel?
    I guess if anyone has suggestions that would be appreciated, as well.

Mike157, vkp78, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  17. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Sorry, I don't know anybody who makes stuff like that. *shrug*

18. Jo the Machinist

Jo the Machinist KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 17, 2015
    Billy and Beverly are the best. What an awesome pair!

vkp78, jus_gus, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  19. Jo the Machinist

Jo the Machinist KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 17, 2015
    I need one for my dagger. :(

benchrest308, vkp78, CataD and 10 others like this.
  20. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I would love to make you one!

David Lennon, vkp78, jus_gus and 8 others like this.