The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I'm not seeing any real definitive answers to this after some looking, so Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist would you mind posting a shipping update on the recent 40 boot daggers? Sorry if I'm being a pain in your ass.

It's 9:00 and I just got in from the shop from sharpening. It's been a long day.

We won a machine that I've been coveting for years at a recent auction. It was kind of a long shot and I'm pretty stoked to get it in. But it was disruptive and this screwed up some of our production schedule here. We're working on daggers now and we are shipping but it is slow going because I'm the only one here who does well sharpening them and my attention is split up several different ways.

We're working on it.

It's 9:00 and I just got in from the shop from sharpening. It's been a long day.

We won a machine that I've been coveting for years at a recent auction. It was kind of a long shot and I'm pretty stoked to get it in. But it was disruptive and this screwed up some of our production schedule here. We're working on daggers now and we are shipping but it is slow going because I'm the only one here who does well sharpening them and my attention is split up several different ways.

We're working on it.
Thanks Nathan, I appreciate it! I'm patient. :)

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist after seeing multiple pictures of the boot dagger, I'd say this dagger, to me, has some Bob Loveless characteristics. Was there any Loveless influence used in this design?
I sure hope so, I'd love it if mine arrived with a mirror finish! Somehow I doubt it, he was already spending 20 minutes just on the sharpening...

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist after seeing multiple pictures of the boot dagger, I'd say this dagger, to me, has some Bob Loveless characteristics. Was there any Loveless influence used in this design?

5-Inch-Dagger-Large.jpg

I can see what you're referring to, but no, that might be a coincidence.

db0c45490f9bc47616fc6856020c7380.jpg

However every dagger I make is inspired by Billy Mace Imel. That's not to say there is deliberate borrowing of design elements as much as simply literally inspired.

His are art knives whereas mine are functional, but I always measure myself against him.

It is indeed an 8" single bevel American santoku similar in concept to the old 6" potato knife. I ordered a bunch of AEBL for a stainless option for the upcoming Kephart and there's more than I need for that. I've been wanting to revisit the kitchen knife and there's enough for a micro run of 50. We're considering it. We've already decked and sized the stock for it and there is a preliminary design. Of course a run of 50 isn't really enough to justify the setup and based on the last sale it might only be enough inventory to piss people off. So Idunno...
Just finished our new kitchen and most of the house ( it only took nearly 7 years since we bought a skeleton of blocked walls and concrete floors :rolleyes:) . I immediately thought of a potato knife but I knew they only come up rarely and I have Global knives I bought nearly 8 years ago. But I want this bad even though I'd burn water :oops: I know it will be class. If I bring in my HDFK or LC to the kitchen I think she will believe I've finally lost it:p.
Hope you all had a good holiday.

View attachment 1459209

I can see what you're referring to, but no, that might be a coincidence.

View attachment 1459210

However every dagger I make is inspired by Billy Mace Imel. That's not to say there is deliberate borrowing of design elements as much as simply literally inspired.

His are art knives whereas mine are functional, but I always measure myself against him.

Oh man! I probably overstayed my welcome at the Billy Mace Imel table at the last Blade Show. He and his wife are very gracious, but one could spend hours admiring their work. Mike

Hi Nathan,

Just a quick question, if I use a knife and the finish becomes blah lol :) Do you offer any refurbishing. Like maybe stonewashed or acid , not asking for a custom or fancy finish.

Thanks,

Bill

No, at least at this point we're not able to offer any kind of spa services. Not while we have other orders waiting. We have a lot on our plate without bringing in additional work. That and we tend to lose stuff when people send it here.

Maybe someday.

No, at least at this point we're not able to offer any kind of spa services. Not while we have other orders waiting. We have a lot on our plate without bringing in additional work. That and we tend to lose stuff when people send it here.

Maybe someday.

Ok , thank you :)

So just buy spares to admire and another to use ;):p:D Got it :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hello Nathan, can you recommend anyone who might be able to make a custom knife display/stand? I was thinking something using the CPK logo where the Shiv could be put in being held by magnets. Kind of like a crown jewel?
I guess if anyone has suggestions that would be appreciated, as well.

Hello Nathan, can you recommend anyone who might be able to make a custom knife display/stand? I was thinking something using the CPK logo where the Shiv could be put in being held by magnets. Kind of like a crown jewel?
I guess if anyone has suggestions that would be appreciated, as well.

Sorry, I don't know anybody who makes stuff like that. *shrug*

Back