The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

How do you decide which knives or projects your going to work on? I think the demand for a kitchen knife would be high but you only have it around 25% for it being produced. Is it how many you can sell?, profit per piece, which seem the most fun or challenging? Or something else altogether?

Last edited:
How do you decide which knives or projects your going to workout? I think the demand for a kitchen knife would be high but you only have it around 25% for it being produced. Is it how many you can sell?, profit per piece, which seem the most fun or challenging? Or something else altogether.
I mentioned it before, but I believe a CPK kitchen knife would set new records for number of type ordered. It's a pattern that just about everyone would use daily, and more than likely, buy multiples of, both for themselves and possibly as gifts.

How do you decide which knives or projects your going to work on? I think the demand for a kitchen knife would be high but you only have it around 25% for it being produced. Is it how many you can sell?, profit per piece, which seem the most fun or challenging? Or something else altogether?

It's a combination of factors. Am I interested in it, is there demand for it, and is it well suited to our process and the materials I like to use.

I've built my brand on offering good bang for the buck. This is a good approach to anything.

There are different markets you can serve. You can offer the cheapest and there will be people who buy that. You can offer "middle of the road" and that's a very popular segment to be in but it's also a very crowded place to be. And you can offer the best, because there will always be people who want the best of something. It might not be immediately obvious when you look at our humble looking work, but this is the route I decided to take. I honestly believe we make the best knives of their sort to be had anywhere. But it's the "best" as I define it to myself. I'm not very concerned about a great deal of attention to superfluous detail such as perfect symmetry and perfect fit and finish and beautiful flow and artistic design in knives. I think it's frivolous. This is ironic because there are many people who fuss about these things that have become good and regular customers of our brand because our work often exhibits these things (because we're competent at what we do), but my focus has always been on performance and it's my humble opinion that we're among the very best at what we do. My sub-niche of offering "the best" is to exclude expensive details such as fine finishes and fancy woods and inlays that drive up the costs of high end knives without adding any performance value and to focus on having the best metallurgy, geometry and ergonomics to be had, and at a price that justifies using the work. And don't get me wrong, we're not cheap. Most people would consider our work to be very expensive (it is) but counterintuitively I also consider it to be a very good value. A good example of this where the rubber meets the road are our competition cutters. We win almost every race we go to and I believe that part of this (in addition to how awesome Jo and Ben are as cutters) is that our knives are (in my opinion) the best in the industry. But they're also about the most affordable serious competition cutter to be had in that arena. <--- that's bang for the buck. I also think the K18 would have absolutely kicked ass in KOD and $1,500 for a real sword with its performance and combination of attributes is bananas.

And this is why I don't make kitchen knives. You can get a pretty decent kitchen knife for $150. I'm not a subject mater expert and due to the ubiquity of kitchen knives used daily in so many kitchens around the world the designs are very well worked out and refined. My design and my metallurgical background in high performance alloys that have a magical ability to stay sharp and tolerate rough use is moot in a kitchen knife. As a rule you're not wailing on them or cutting hard or abrasive food. The potato knife doesn't play to our strengths, so it's not worth what I would need to sell it for to justify making them. I know there are plenty of people willing to drop $250 for our potato knife but I don't want to do that because I don't feel the knife justifies that price.

Nathan, what knives do you have and use in your kitchen on a daily basis (other than your antique family knife that you re-handled)?

Oh, I don't use that antique knife. It's a POS. I have three potato knives. Two prototypes I saved from geometry development and one production. I use the production the most, it's the best of the three and it's my favorite kitchen knife. Yes, I do see the incongruity in that. It's a great knife, I love it. But I'm not confident in it enough as a kitchen knife to charge what I would need to. I'm just not a kitchen knife guy. There are kitchen knife makers 10X more knowledgeable than me selling work for less. I don't belong in that arena.

My sub-niche of offering "the best" is to exclude expensive details such as fine finishes and fancy woods and inlays that drive up the costs of high end knives without adding any performance value and to focus on having the best metallurgy, geometry and ergonomics to be had, and at a price that justifies using the work.

This is exactly on the nose of why I love your work.

Thank you for such a detailed response. I’ve only been into knives for a few years and only yours to be honest. A buddy at work showed me an OGFK and I fell in love at the same time asking “you paid how much!?” He helped me score a few models in the coming months and now I’m an addict. Still haven’t gotten a FK but I probably will sometime. I think you are right where you say you want to be. Just today one of my FK2s got used and abused doing hunny doos. Last week it was a HDMC taking out some bushes. I carry my DEK1 at work and off. I even have one of my UFs attached to a sling bag that I use at work. My FK2 and HDFK go with me every time I go camping. They wouldn’t get used that much if they cost much more. IMHO you have it dialed in pretty good.

It's a combination of factors. Am I interested in it, is there demand for it, and is it well suited to our process and the materials I like to use.

I've built my brand on offering good bang for the buck. This is a good approach to anything.
[snip]

This is exactly the reason I bought into your products. I like tools that work for me and work with me. Pretty has a place, but I'd rather sink that $ into performance than style.

Funny thing though.....designing performance into a product often makes it sexy in it's own right. At least to me.

Nathan, I just started working a midnight shift so I’m getting ready to go to bed. If you ding up any more K18 (or anything else) can you please place them for sale around 7-8 pm your time? Better yet if you happen to be up around 3am that would be ideal (for me and maybe one or two others):D:D

Nathan, I just started working a midnight shift so I’m getting ready to go to bed. If you ding up any more K18 (or anything else) can you please place them for sale around 7-8 pm your time? Better yet if you happen to be up around 3am that would be ideal (for me and maybe one or two others):D:D

I'm usually up at 3:00AM. I'll do that... :thumbsup:

Are there any hardware options? SS, brass...copper bolts/sleeves? I know there is the Ti ano'ed option..I've seen black hardware..is the black coated steel? Or Ti..home mod by owner/user?

Do all of the models take the same size hardware for scales?

Edit: I understand stock thickness varies on models, so length of sleeve, bolt length are subject. Question more on diameter, i/d, o/d..bolt size..assuming no brass, copper..haven't seen after much lurking..but, steel option?

Thanks

Last edited:
Are there any hardware options? SS, brass...copper bolts/sleeves? I know there is the Ti ano'ed option..I've seen black hardware..is the black coated steel? Or Ti..home mod by owner/user?

Do all of the models take the same size hardware for scales?

Edit: I understand stock thickness varies on models, so length of sleeve, bolt length are subject. Question more on diameter, i/d, o/d..bolt size..assuming no brass, copper..haven't seen after much lurking..but, steel option?

Thanks

Not sure if this helps but the Encyclopedia has a link for references to screws n such at the bottom.

~Def not Nathan

Back