The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Ask Nathan a question, huh?

OK, Nathan, we all know that Bill's favorite soul song of the 70s was "When Will I See You Again." What's yours?

Chuck Mangione, "Feels so good"?

Is that a soul song? I was a little kid in the 70s. My dad had this fantastic Marantz receiver and Klipschorns and that album on vinyl and I'd listen to that. I have some nostalgia for that.

She's not from the 70's, but the voice of Sarah Vaughan is so nuanced and other worldly. You don't hear something like that much today.

What is your favorite Soul song?

Last edited:

Is that a soul song? I was a little kid in the 70s. My dad had this fantastic Marantz receiver and Klipschorns and that album on vinyl and I'd listen to that. I have some nostalgia for that.

She's not from the 70's, but the voice of Sarah Vaughan is so nuanced and other worldly. You don't hear something like that much today.

Kinda “soul-ish”.
Robert Bradley’s Blackwater Surprise.

Nah, Mangione and that flugelhorn were great, but not really soul. More like smooth jazz.

I'm partial to "Play that Funky Music." It's borderline disco, but it was listed on the hot soul singles chart, so I think it qualifies. And if anyone objects to that one, I'll take "The World is a Ghetto" by War - and that is as soul as it gets. Also an unbelievable album - I used to listen to it every night for years.

So you were a little kid in the 70s . . . such a youngster! LOL. I started college in the 70s. I would have LOVED a Marantz back then. They were da bomb - top notch. That big ol' tuning knob alone was magical. But I was a poor boy and I had to settle for a Pioneer. However I got some JBL L-100 speakers which I think I still have in the shed out back and they were special. Along with a TEAC real-to-real.

I hear Sarah Vaughn all the time - on Sirius XM Channels 71 and 73. Practically every day.

Closeset to that you'll find today IMO is Adele.

Idunno yet
Expecting fk2 hard thin to be delivered next week hopefully, my question is do you have specific recommendations on maintaining and recreating a level of sharpness equal to what the knife originally has? I have a wicked edge sharpener, any recommendations on diamond grits, stropping mediums, lapping films, etc., doubt I’ll ever allow knife to get very dull so mainly asking about keeping it extremely sharp, thanks.

Back