The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

What are your thoughts on the wharncliffe blade shape? Do you think we might see a CPK with this profile at some point?

Also, not so much a question but an observation. It would be great if you periodically (weekly?) did some YouTube videos or podcasts or something with knowledge dumps. You know, in your spare time...
Not Nathan, but I love a wharncliffe.

We are working on a new website, but I don't know about weekly videos or podcasts...

I'm curious how you decide what thickness metal to start with. In particular, it surprises me that the tang for the Boot Knife is not only thicker than that of the FK2 and the DEK1, but also the FK2. For such a relatively small (and light) knife. Would you be willing to share what considerations went into that particular decision, and those decisions in general?

TIA!

I'm curious how you decide what thickness metal to start with. In particular, it surprises me that the tang for the Boot Knife is not only thicker than that of the FK2 and the DEK1, but also the FK2. For such a relatively small (and light) knife. Would you be willing to share what considerations went into that particular decision, and those decisions in general?

TIA!

It's inspired by the integral daggers of Billy Mace Imel which are 1/4-3/8". I like the extremely deep hollow grind on the thick stock because it makes some very pronounced hollow grinds and many historical daggers were almost a diamond cross section. When I saw I had a drop coming out of the K18 production that was the correct size and shape to do one of these daggers I jumped on it.

My integral daggers are also quite stout at the ricasso. I think the last one was 3/8" thick. Don't worry, they're not heavy and clunky, the deep deep grinds take out a lot of weight.

Knives that are designed to stab can have a thicker spine than a knife designed to slice. Historical weapons of this nature were frequently pretty stout in this regard.

Hi Nathan,

I am big fan of your work, currently putting away some money to purchase my first CPK knife, Behemother!
So my two-part question is what do you think about Fairbairn’s Smatchet knife, what are the chances to see one made by CPK with your famous Delta 3V?
Thank you!!!

Nathan,

Using nominally 3/8th Micarta, what is the maximum contour thickness you would be comfortable designing/machining?

I just measured my limited supply and different nominal 3/8th sheets measured between 0.3799 and 0.402 with mostly a 0.003" variation between points on the same sheet, but one piece varied by 0.01" across 12" width. Does this stuff ever come in under 0.375"?

Shaping by hand, it hardly matters but I imagine that you need to keep well within minimum sheet thickness to avoid waste with CNC cut designs.

Thank you,
Chris

Hi Nathan. I just finished murdering some pablano peppers and saw the edge of Bloodlust here looking a little dinged up!
I am the only person who uses it (wife uses a different set of kitchen knives) and it is only used on this plastic cutting board.
What is your opinion on this?
It is still sharp otherwise. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back