The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

View attachment 1519160 View attachment 1519162
Hi Nathan. I just finished murdering some pablano peppers and saw the edge of Bloodlust here looking a little dinged up!
I am the only person who uses it (wife uses a different set of kitchen knives) and it is only used on this plastic cutting board.
What is your opinion on this?
It is still sharp otherwise. Thank you.

#NotNathan

Maybe try a wooden cutting board?

Hi Nathan,

A few questions about the new secret steel designed by Larrin Thomas.

1) Have you read the articles and tests on Patreon (if you are a patron of knifesteelnerds) about this steel?
2) If yes, are you excited by this steel and do you plan to experiment with it?
3) If no (and knowing it's basically it's same toughness and wear resistance than CPM-4V/Vanadis 4E but with same or better corrosion resistance than CPM-20CV/M390) do you think it will still be relevant to use AEB-L when the new steel will be available?

Hi Nathan,

A few questions about the new secret steel designed by Larrin Thomas.

1) Have you read the articles and tests on Patreon (if you are a patron of knifesteelnerds) about this steel?
2) If yes, are you excited by this steel and do you plan to experiment with it?
3) If no (and knowing it's basically it's same toughness and wear resistance than CPM-4V/Vanadis 4E but with same or better corrosion resistance than CPM-20CV/M390) do you think it will still be relevant to use AEB-L when the new steel will be available?

If the steel actually performs like 4V and is stainless I will be using it a lot.

I am tempering my expectations due to a past experience with S30V which was supposed to be a stainless version of a wear resistant 3V. And while its toughness and wear resistance values may be pretty good on paper, the edge retention was disappointing in normal use due to mediocre edge stability.

We use 4V V4E in our competition cutters that we were using to dominate in blade sports before the pandemic. It can be taken to very thin geometry and still tolerate an enormous amount of abuse in these thin sections at high hardness. If this new steel can perform even just 90% as well as 4V in thin high hardness applications needing high durability, it will probably become my go-to stainless. We are particularly well-suited for evaluating this.

We shall see.

Pepsi is very sweet. Coke is very woke.

I drink water.
"I used to think coffee was a grown-up drink. Then I thought alcohol was a grown-up drink. Now I have finally achieved full enlightenment to understand that it is water that is the grown-up drink"

Our house sits by a spring-fed creek. Clean high-quality freshwater literally bubbles up from the ground here. Our well is deep and taps into an aquifer that delivers the most delicious clean brilliant tasting tap water straight from the faucet. I love the water here, I can't imagine wanting to drink some nasty syrupy soda when there's high quality water on tap.

Our house sits by a spring-fed creek. Clean high-quality freshwater literally bubbles up from the ground here. Our well is deep and taps into an aquifer that delivers the most delicious clean brilliant tasting tap water straight from the faucet. I love the water here, I can't imagine wanting to drink some nasty syrupy soda when there's high quality water on tap.
My mom's old place up in the Sierras has a spring on the property, amazing water when I was growing up...supposedly that piece of property is coming to me eventually:) The new house is on Sacramento River water, it's actually quite good...been a while since I've had tap water that was drinkable without running through a Brita.

Nathan, in sticking to the topic regarding your use of synthetics, perhaps you can shed some light on this... if you were using a given material, perhaps one of the Norplex products, and you were acquiring it oversized and then machining it to your specifications, and assuming the standard deviation was somewhere within .02mm with a regulated trajectory of approximately half of its resonant frequency, would you expect that it’s covalent bond would allow for consistent dynamic tension?

Asking for a friend.

If you're hell bent on achieving linear elastomeric coupling utilizing covalent bonds rather than the consistent spring rates of non-Newtonian (Brownian) metallic bonds I'd suggest you look into the newer carbon carbon composites. While conductive, it is still technically an organic synthetic. I guess it depends on your application. Is this your penis enlargement device? I'm not sure why you don't just keep using the garage door spring.

If you're hell bent on achieving linear elastomeric coupling utilizing covalent bonds rather than the consistent spring rates of non-Newtonian (Brownian) metallic bonds I'd suggest you look into the newer carbon carbon composites. While conductive, it is still technically an organic synthetic. I guess it depends on your application. Is this your penis enlargement device? I'm not sure why you don't just keep using the garage door spring.

I specifically stated DYNAMIC tension.

Besides, you’re confusing this with the application you were purchasing those robot arms for.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , most of the time when you spout tech stuff it goes right over my head, but its always great to be around people who are the top guys in a field that interests you. As a user(of mainly small blades) and collector of the bigger ones, you have made me more demanding in what I look for when I cheat on CPK. But when you have time and using small words and real world examples could you please explain toughness, wear resistance and edge stability?
can the #stillnotnathans point me to the right place if this has been addressed before?

Pepsi is very sweet. Coke is very woke.

I drink water.
Muh man!

It's one of many things I'm thankful to my parents for. They raised us to drink mostly water. We did have milk, and OJ on occasion, but we were used to just drinking straight water. Parents never even bought soda pop except for parties/guests. We could have a soda pop as an occasional treat when eating out.

Still prefer primarily drinking water to this day.
If the steel actually performs like 4V and is stainless I will be using it a lot.

I am tempering my expectations due to a past experience with S30V which was supposed to be a stainless version of a wear resistant 3V. And while its toughness and wear resistance values may be pretty good on paper, the edge retention was disappointing in normal use due to mediocre edge stability.

We use 4V V4E in our competition cutters that we were using to dominate in blade sports before the pandemic. It can be taken to very thin geometry and still tolerate an enormous amount of abuse in these thin sections at high hardness. If this new steel can perform even just 90% as well as 4V in thin high hardness applications needing high durability, it will probably become my go-to stainless. We are particularly well-suited for evaluating this.

We shall see.
Definitely interested in this. Hopefully the reality measures up to the hype. Would DEFINITELY be in for whatever you designed to take advantage of a steel that combined the properties of 4V/V4E with stainless/near stainless corrosion resistance.

Back