The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

@Nathan the Machinist , most of the time when you spout tech stuff it goes right over my head, but its always great to be around people who are the top guys in a field that interests you. As a user(of mainly small blades) and collector of the bigger ones, you have made me more demanding in what I look for when I cheat on CPK. But when you have time and using small words and real world examples could you please explain toughness, wear resistance and edge stability?
can the #stillnotnathans point me to the right place if this has been addressed before?
Not a Nathan description, but this is a good start for the different steel properties

http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/general/generalpart1.html

@Nathan the Machinist , most of the time when you spout tech stuff it goes right over my head, but its always great to be around people who are the top guys in a field that interests you. As a user(of mainly small blades) and collector of the bigger ones, you have made me more demanding in what I look for when I cheat on CPK. But when you have time and using small words and real world examples could you please explain toughness, wear resistance and edge stability?
can the #stillnotnathans point me to the right place if this has been addressed before?
You should explore free articles on Larrin's knifesteelnerds website.
He also has a book available if you don't get your fill on the website.

Our house sits by a spring-fed creek. Clean high-quality freshwater literally bubbles up from the ground here. Our well is deep and taps into an aquifer that delivers the most delicious clean brilliant tasting tap water straight from the faucet. I love the water here, I can't imagine wanting to drink some nasty syrupy soda when there's high quality water on tap.

Nothing but rainwater, distilled water, or pure grain alcohol, here...

31QeIcWCWRL._AC_.jpg

I enjoy a soda sometimes but it's not good to drink too much of them. I think that they are the major contributor to diabetes nowadays.
And obesity.

I've had various friends and colleagues ask for weight loss advice, only to discover that they never drink plain 'ol water. From childhood, it was juice, milk, Koolaid and soda pop. Aside from natural sugars, the majority of the available fruit juice on the market has added sugar (and milk naturally has a fair bit of sugar, which is why most keto folks avoid it).

These folks are so used to drinking nothing but flavored liquids, they have to resort to stuff like Mio, because they can't stand drinking plain water. That's a result of not very good parenting, IMO.

P.S.
The Mio TV ad with the guy in the desert pretty much sums it up. When I'm thirsty, I prefer just water. If I'm badly dehydrated, I'll deal with an electrolyte rehydration solution (not Gatorade/Powerade), but there literally are folks who, while nearly dying of thirst, would probably complain about plain water.

Last edited:
If the steel actually performs like 4V and is stainless I will be using it a lot.

I am tempering my expectations due to a past experience with S30V which was supposed to be a stainless version of a wear resistant 3V. And while its toughness and wear resistance values may be pretty good on paper, the edge retention was disappointing in normal use due to mediocre edge stability.

We use 4V V4E in our competition cutters that we were using to dominate in blade sports before the pandemic. It can be taken to very thin geometry and still tolerate an enormous amount of abuse in these thin sections at high hardness. If this new steel can perform even just 90% as well as 4V in thin high hardness applications needing high durability, it will probably become my go-to stainless. We are particularly well-suited for evaluating this.

We shall see.
We are working with Crucible and Larrin to finalize a datasheet and trademark the name for the cutlery industry. Preliminary reports from the field are very, very encouraging. We hope to have our small initial run ready to sell by the end of March. It will be widely available 4 to 5 months after we have the name and data.

We are working with Crucible and Larrin to finalize a datasheet and trademark the name for the cutlery industry. Preliminary reports from the field are very, very encouraging. We hope to have our small initial run ready to sell by the end of March. It will be widely available 4 to 5 months after we have the name and data.

Will the new steel be named, "KSN1"?

I may have been a little too overzealous with my new Beast from the Southeast! :eek: I think I hit some pebbles in the ground while bashing through sapling roots. :oops: I couldn't help myself, this thing was striking down upon those saplings with great vengeance and furious anger!

Best way to restore this damage? I'm not really a skilled sharpener, so should I send this in for rehab and a promise to keep it away from rocks?? ;)

GfXpTA7.jpg

VpSZ6KG.jpg

PMeEEkU.jpg

Last edited:
I may have been a little too overzealous with my new Beast from the Southeast! :eek: I think I hit some pebbles in the ground while bashing through sapling roots. :oops: I couldn't help myself, this thing was striking down upon those saplings with great vengeance and furious anger!

Best way to restore this damage? I'm not really a skilled sharpener, so should I send this in for rehab and a promise to keep it away from rocks?? ;)

GfXpTA7.jpg

VpSZ6KG.jpg

PMeEEkU.jpg

Atta baby :thumbsup:

Couple of scratches, skinned knee at worse..looks like you were being gentle.

A good strop and let the beatings continue until you blow past the edge bevel...or you hear sirens..

#notatallnathan

That just needs a quick touch up. It’s not a slicer so those do not need to be removed. Must have been rocks though because I’ve chopped down three trees with my BC and two with my HDMC. Neither knife has even a small ding in the edge. Three of the five trees mentioned were dead just long enough to make them hard as hell. Both knives can still easily slice paper.

Back