The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan somewhere I read that you said your special treatment of 3v makes it more stain resistant. Also I seem to recall you referring to Aeb-l as semi - stainless. How much difference is there between them with your treatment regarding stain resistance?

A side effect of keeping the carbon in the martensite (where it belongs) is it doesn't react with all the chrome, leaving much of that chrome free. This wasn't the purpose of the Delta protocol but it is a welcome side effect.

AEBL is not the most stainless SS but it does have the best edge stability. While it is more stainless than even Delta 3V, it isn't truly stainless. Nothing really is, but it's on the low end of stainlessness for the stainless steels.

So Nathan how much of a difference is there between your heat treat protocol for your D3V compared to say a 3V blade heat treated by Peters Heat Treating ?... Obviously there is a difference between your D3V heat treatment and how Peters heat treats their 3V blades ! Is peters HT on par with your or do you feel its lacking ? Looking forward to your reply on this ! Thanks

Frank aka frc505

You can get different heat treats from Peter's. I haven't evaluated their standard offerings in quite a while but I expect it's pretty good.

Yes, there is a difference between the Delta protocol and their low temp tweak. It is the same difference between Delta and our low temp tweaks that preceded it. The evolution of the low temp tweaks led to the Delta protocol which is where we landed after an exhaustive study on the effect of a multitude of variables on the durability of the edge. There are a number of interactions between variables and, having already gone down this road with other steels, some of the outcomes were counter intuitive. The end result was a process that, while not always easy to implement due to quench rates, the timing of steps, and the need to keep the steel cool during subsequent processing (no hard grinding or dry sharpening) it did result in demonstrably superior edge stability and subsequently edge retention in most normal use. Yes there is a difference. The difference between Delta and another really good low temp tweaks might not be huge but the difference between where we started and where we landed is very obvious and can be seen at an arms length after even relatively modest hard use.

Don’t forget the blood grooves
How could I, Nathan already puts them on there, only he calls them “fullers” or something silly like that. Honestly, sometimes I don’t think that guy even knows what he’s talking about, I mean fullers? Everybody knows they are blood grooves.
I thought I saw somewhere about a hollow handle?
Absolutely, Martin. Where else would we store our matches, first aid, fishing tackle and cable saw?

How could I, Nathan already puts them on there, only he calls them “fullers” or something silly like that. Honestly, sometimes I don’t think that guy even knows what he’s talking about, I mean fullers? Everybody knows they are blood grooves.

Absolutely, Martin. Where else would we store our matches, first aid, fishing tackle and cable saw?
'Fullers' is just the short form, like MC = Medium Chopper.

They're "Fuller' blood grooves" 😁

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

You've talked about D3V's and AEBL's relative stainlessness vs the common stainless steels. Where would you rank Magnacut?

P.S.

If the initial claims for Magnacut pan out, about a stainless 4V/V4E, what are the chances of a revisit of a longer LC in Magnacut in the 63-64Hrc range? I recall Lorien Lorien mentioning a longer CPK LC/machete design a while ago.

A CPK barong/LC in the ~14" range would be SWEET! 😍. Thin, light, hard, stainless... great for brush clearing and other bushcraft AND for Filipino Martial Arts. I'd be down for AT LEAST 2.

Last edited:
Nathan,

Have you decided on which grind you will be going with on the pre-ordered UF2'S that are ordered with a full double edge grind ? The DE-UF grind or the DEF grind ?... Personally i like the look of the DE-UF grind on the UF as opposed to the DEF grind !... Is there any benefit on the user's end to either grind ?...or are they equal in everything but in how they look and how they are ground ? ....thanks for your time !

Frank aka FRC505

Back