The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan,

Have you decided on which grind you will be going with on the pre-ordered UF2'S that are ordered with a full double edge grind ? The DE-UF grind or the DEF grind ?... Personally i like the look of the DE-UF grind on the UF as opposed to the DEF grind !... Is there any benefit on the user's end to either grind ?...or are they equal in everything but in how they look and how they are ground ? ....thanks for your time !

Frank aka FRC505

I like the DEF grind.

Hi Nathan. I have some Renaissance wax coming tomorrow. Is it good for my Cocobolo scales or would it be better for me to use a different kind of wax for them?

Hi Nathan. I have some Renaissance wax coming tomorrow. Is it good for my Cocobolo scales or would it be better for me to use a different kind of wax for them?

Renaissance wax has its purposes, but I don't think it will serve much purpose on those wood scales. It can get into the pores and turn white which is a bummer. I would recommend nothing, or if you feel like oiling the scales a small dab of boiled linseed oil works well.

It is a naturally oily wood and doesn't really need anything added to it and sometimes attempting to add something to it can make it gummy or discolored. Personally, I would leave it alone.

Renaissance wax has its purposes, but I don't think it will serve much purpose on those wood scales. It can get into the pores and turn white which is a bummer. I would recommend nothing, or if you feel like oiling the scales a small dab of boiled linseed oil works well.

It is a naturally oily wood and doesn't really need anything added to it and sometimes attempting to add something to it can make it gummy or discolored. Personally, I would leave it alone.

Ok. Thanks, Nathan!

Ok. Thanks, Nathan!
I'm going to offer an additional comment - finishing Cocobolo is NOT like most woods. Most finishes just don't work on Coco, and will leave a gummy/tacky mess that never dries or cures. It takes some special products and a bit of experimenting to figure it out. I woldn't attempt to finish any of Nathan's scales without knowing exactly what you are doing, and why.

Just my .02.

I'm going to offer an additional comment - finishing Cocobolo is NOT like most woods. Most finishes just don't work on Coco, and will leave a gummy/tacky mess that never dries or cures. It takes some special products and a bit of experimenting to figure it out. I woldn't attempt to finish any of Nathan's scales without knowing exactly what you are doing, and why.

Just my .02.

I figured that I better ask before I did anything. Maybe the natural oil from my hands are enough for it. I'll just wax the steel underneath the scales and use mineral oil on the rest of the blade.

Since no one has bothered to ask you a Q in almost 2 weeks, I have a very important one for you:

- When is the annual Carothers family vacay? IIRC, you used to sweep Jo and the kids off their feet shortly after the BladeShow every year for a week or so of well-deserved R&R. Garhering by your post yesterday in the Random Thoughts, the NinJo is very ready for some time away from the hectic madness.

Since no one has bothered to ask you a Q in almost 2 weeks, I have a very important one for you:

- When is the annual Carothers family vacay? IIRC, you used to sweep Jo and the kids off their feet shortly after the BladeShow every year for a week or so of well-deserved R&R. Garhering by your post yesterday in the Random Thoughts, the NinJo is very ready for some time away from the hectic madness.

We skipped last year. Between the pandemic and being scandalously behind on the K18s and the move we didn't take a vacation last year. We're taking a week off this August. And my best friend Dale, which I haven't seen in ages, is coming out this weekend and we're going to take a couple days. We got overwhelmed preparing for blade show and we had the new machine come in directly after blade show which has us a couple weeks behind on our obligations now. It is difficult finding time to take time. But my kids aren't going to be little much longer so we have to make an effort to take time periodically so they'll have some memories that aren't just Mom and Dad working everyday.

I'd like to go to the Grand canyon next year. Harrison will be 15, Abby will be 17. That would be a good family outing. I might take a couple weeks for that.

We skipped last year. Between the pandemic and being scandalously behind on the K18s and the move we didn't take a vacation last year. We're taking a week off this August. And my best friend Dale, which I haven't seen in ages, is coming out this weekend and we're going to take a couple days. We got overwhelmed preparing for blade show and we had the new machine come in directly after blade show which has us a couple weeks behind on our obligations now. It is difficult finding time to take time. But my kids aren't going to be little much longer so we have to make an effort to take time periodically so they'll have some memories that aren't just Mom and Dad working everyday.

I'd like to go to the Grand canyon next year. Harrison will be 15, Abby will be 17. That would be a good family outing. I might take a couple weeks for that.
It's going to feel great shipping the last of the integral shivs and then heading off to the Grand canyon!

I still remember going to the grand canyon with my folks. It was amazing. Went hiking at Bryce and Zion as well, which were absolutely beautiful. My dad died last year, but I have so many memories of the great things we did together. Definitely take the time to do these fun things with your kids, they will remember those moments forever.

I still remember going to the grand canyon with my folks. It was amazing. Went hiking at Bryce and Zion as well, which were absolutely beautiful. My dad died last year, but I have so many memories of the great things we did together. Definitely take the time to do these fun things with your kids, they will remember those moments forever.

Yep! That's time that you can't get back or put a price on. My favorite vacation as a kid is when we went to Carlsbad Caverns in NM. That was so cool and beautiful. Watching the bats flying in and out of the cave was cool too. One of them knocked my dads baseball cap off of his head. The bat was ok.

Last edited:
Nathan- do you have any general advice for someone looking to add a mill drill to their tiny shop? Specific advice is also fine

I'm lookin at one of these; https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-king-industrial-mini-milling-drilling-machine-154139

er...or maybe one of these https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produ...illing-drilling-machine-with-digital-readouts

I have no experience with those.

When I was green I tended to lean towards smaller machines that would be more "manageable" but if I would have just started with what I needed I would have saved myself a lot of trouble.

I have no experience with those.

When I was green I tended to lean towards smaller machines that would be more "manageable" but if I would have just started with what I needed I would have saved myself a lot of trouble.
the last piece of advice you gave me was to have better lighting, and I'm like 'c'mon man you have to have better advice than that!'
turns out that was the best advice I could have gotten at the time, so I guess I better start building a shed for my cnc machine:D😬

ps. maybe I should start out with a disc sander for now. I have a motor, just need a platen- do you know anyone who makes one?;)

the last piece of advice you gave me was to have better lighting, and I'm like 'c'mon man you have to have better advice than that!'
turns out that was the best advice I could have gotten at the time, so I guess I better start building a shed for my cnc machine:D😬

ps. maybe I should start out with a disc sander for now. I have a motor, just need a platen- do you know anyone who makes one?;)
I saw that you have paid your dues filing in swedges. A reversible disc will be a huge upgrade for that. One of the best systems is in your neighborhood.
I don't own one but there have been plenty of rave reviews in shop talk.

Back