The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

turns out I have a lot of fire starting gizmos, probably because I'm a hoarder. Going through some shit the other day or week or whatever, I found my old ferro/mag combo kit from when I was in Scouts! It was like a black toothpick with barnacles growing off it- almost completely oxidized to the point where only 30% of it still exists. I put it back in my bugout bag, of course
But were they blue blistering barnacles?

Hi Nathan,

I am thinking about dyeing the natural micarta on my recently received Kephart (which is awesome btw). Can you provide any tips for taking the scales off? The screws really don’t seem to want to move.

Thanks,
Geof

Hey Nathan how is the roll out of the basic knife coming along?
Any sketches or more ideas behind the folder? Time line for that?
Time line for other collaborations like the Lorien kukri, and chef knife?
How is the UF2 shaping up?
Do you foresee any more log jams such as with the K18 in the future?

Last edited:
Hey Nathan how is the roll out of the basic knife coming along?
Any sketches or more ideas behind the folder? Time line for that?
Time line for other collaborations like the Lorien kukri, and chef knife?
How is the UF2 shaping up?
Do you foresee any more log jams such as with the K18 in the future?

The first Basic 5" FK will be available in 3 weeks. It lacks some of the refinement we're known for but I think it will be popular because it's a lot of knife for the money.

We're going to try to make some folders by the end of the year.

We'll try to start the Kukri and the Dek2&3 in the spring

We're milling UF2 now

I'm sure there will always be more bottlenecks. Some you can plan for and some are, by their very nature, unforeseeable. This run of Kepharts is a remarkable project because we really did not hit any snags from start to finish and it was a somewhat complicated setup. When I try to predict a time frame I usually do the math and then double it but we're "ahead of schedule" on the Kepharts simply because nothing went wrong.

Hey Nate,

Are there any UF2's finished yet ? If so could we get a few side by side pictures with the OG-UF and the UF2 ? Or any pics of the UF2 after all the handle tweaks were made and had its final sharpening !?!?!...

turns out I have a lot of fire starting gizmos, probably because I'm a hoarder. Going through some shit the other day or week or whatever, I found my old ferro/mag combo kit from when I was in Scouts! It was like a black toothpick with barnacles growing off it- almost completely oxidized to the point where only 30% of it still exists. I put it back in my bugout bag, of course
Well it’ll warm your heart one day…while staring at your frozen, unlit kindling pile, fondly reminiscing of the good times past. ;) ack!

I don't care much for folders, but if CPK makes an auto I will be in for a few of them!
I'm just the opposite. While I have a couple of autos remaining in my collection, I much prefer manual openers...the less reliance on things that can go wrong or break, the better...imho.

A CPK folder is something I'm personally very much looking forward to.

I'm just the opposite. While I have a couple of autos remaining in my collection, I much prefer manual openers...the less reliance on things that can go wrong or break, the better...imho.

A CPK folder is something I'm personally very much looking forward to.

When talking about reliance I would have to go with a fixed blade. I just love the sleek elegance of an auto.

Back