The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Hi Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist ,

while waiting for my first AEB-L CPK, how would you compare the corrosion resistance of your AEB-L vs. D3V ? Larrin rates AEB-L similar to - say - 420HC (i.e., like a Buck 110). But I understand that D3V is a bit more corrosion resistant than normal 3V. Did you guys ever do any tests ? What say you ?

Here are Larrin's data that I once compiled:

i-GcfpVnP-X2.jpg

Thanks !

Roland.

Hi Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist ,

while waiting for my first AEB-L CPK, how would you compare the corrosion resistance of your AEB-L vs. D3V ? Larrin rates AEB-L similar to - say - 420HC (i.e., like a Buck 110). But I understand that D3V is a bit more corrosion resistant than normal 3V. Did you guys ever do any tests ? What say you ?

Here are Larrin's data that I once compiled:

i-GcfpVnP-X2.jpg

Thanks !

Roland.

Both can rust, D3V more so. I never have a problem with either.

None of the knives that we sell have a bead blast finish. If it's bead blast, someone did that to it. I don't like bead blast because it binds, rusts, and shows scratches. It should be tumbled.

Obviously we tumble pre-sharpening. You can send it back and we will give it a quick tumble and resharpen. The edge will get set back some, unfortunately.

You can contact Jo to arrange shipping. You will need to include money for return shipping.

None of the knives that we sell have a bead blast finish. If it's bead blast, someone did that to it. I don't like bead blast because it binds, rusts, and shows scratches. It should be tumbled.

Obviously we tumble pre-sharpening. You can send it back and we will give it a quick tumble and resharpen. The edge will get set back some, unfortunately.

You can contact Jo to arrange shipping. You will need to include money for return shipping.
Oh hey. Not saying one of your knives. I just wanted to ask because.. well you’re Nathan, and you know things.
Thank you for the reply!

Do you like serrated blades? Ever plan on making one?
Ah man never mind, this was already asked and answered.
#1,598

I don't need a serrated steak knife because I know how to cut with a knife. However the same cannot be said for guests and children. I think if I ever did another batch of skinners I'd do a few serrated to use as steak knives. And if I ever do a bread knife, I'd serrate it.

I don't need a serrated steak knife because I know how to cut with a knife. However the same cannot be said for guests and children.
Almost don't even need a knife for the Tri-Tip steak we'll be having for the second night in a row. It's like winning the lotto when I can find it at our grocery store. I think I prefer it to NY Strip.

Back