The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I don't need a serrated steak knife because I know how to cut with a knife. However the same cannot be said for guests and children. I think if I ever did another batch of skinners I'd do a few serrated to use as steak knives. And if I ever do a bread knife, I'd serrate it.
I don't need a serrated knife because I use my hands.

fagpzvbsl1j71.jpg

My cousin, (a Parisian), took my wife and I to a restaurant in Paris where I had steak tartare for the first time. It was amazing.
(I don't think I'd have tried it had it not been a restaurant very highly regarded by the Parisian cognoscenti.)

My cousin, (a Parisian), took my wife and I to a restaurant in Paris where I had steak tartare for the first time. It was amazing.
(I don't think I'd have tried it had it not been a restaurant very highly regarded by the Parisian cognoscenti.)

US beef is so much better .... my favorite is a steak cut out of a WY fillet (slice 1-2" thick), and put on the BBQ for about 1-2 minutes by side. Yummy.

PS: and with Dijon or Duesseldorf mustard :) or horse reddish.

US beef is so much better .... my favorite is a steak cut out of a WY fillet (slice 1-2" thick), and put on the BBQ for about 1-2 minutes by side. Yummy.

PS: and with Dijon or Duesseldorf mustard :) or horse reddish.
Well, since you weren't there with us 20 years ago, Roland, I think it would be very hard for you to critique the meal...though I'm sure your suggestions are excellent as well.

That said, the meal, the location and sharing the time with my wife and cousin were all I could ask.

Well, since you weren't there with us 20 years ago, Roland, I think it would be very hard for you to critique the meal...though I'm sure your suggestions are excellent as well.

That said, the meal, the location and sharing the time with my wife and cousin were all I could ask.
It doesn't sound like you'd have much use for me that night, B. LOL

I didn't critique the meal. Love French restaurants. Just proud of US beef is all :)

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist apologies if this has already been answered but I’m curious if there will be other batches of the basic field knife made. I know the original intent was to offer them on Amazon and introduce new people to the brand and delta 3v but with that change I’m just curious if the goal has changed. Also I’m not sure how large this batch of basic field knives are compared to other pattern batches you’ve made. Just curious. And thanks!

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist apologies if this has already been answered but I’m curious if there will be other batches of the basic field knife made. I know the original intent was to offer them on Amazon and introduce new people to the brand and delta 3v but with that change I’m just curious if the goal has changed. Also I’m not sure how large this batch of basic field knives are compared to other pattern batches you’ve made. Just curious. And thanks!

Thank you everyone for the enthusiasm! We will be back in 2 weeks with 50. I will also be posting some on our website. For the first 15, I will contact you tomorrow. Have a great weekend everyone!

Oops - Not Nathan... but 50 of them in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Not a machinist... what happens to the tooling? Does it used up during production, did you lose it, was it destroyed so the Shiv can never fall in to the hands of future generations?

There is a vacuum fixture for the scales first op that was turned into something else. The second op fixture isn't any good anymore. The first op fixture for the blade was turned into something else. Same with the beveling softjaws. The biggest thing is the complex fixture for the swedge didn't age well. It got wet in storage and the steel components rusted and the rubber inserts that reduce chatter on the unsupported cut would need to be re-developed. The shipping boards are long gone. The programs were written for a machine I don't have anymore etc.

There is a bunch of stuff that gets made to do a run on a complex piece like that. Some get lost, some get damaged, some get made into something else. The setup is a bear but once it's running you're golden until something wears out but going back isn't always easy on something that hasn't been run in a while. So I'd have to re-create a lot of stuff and rather than re-create something I've already done I prefer to create something new. That said, we are a production machine shop and if a customer were to place an order we'd make it. Setup would be 10-15K, so that first one is going to be a little bit spendy...

^ Do you think that the set up would be closer to 15K? Let's see what are the other "spendy" components of such a scenario? Material + labor, I have no idea so I'm totally spitballing, another 5-10K for a minimum run of 25? So at the top end, 25 of us schmucks can pitch in and get ourselves a new Shiv in D3V for around 1K?

Other than that, who cleans your rain gutters and why is the night sky dark?

Back