The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Or a Tanto. 🤣

Oh I'm in.

Yeah! Please make it at least a 5” blade! 😜
KoTlScA.jpg

Last edited:
Nathan,
Im thinking about getting a sharpening kit and the one im thinking of the most is the Magna-Guide kit from DMT it comes with 2 double sided
Diafolds a course/fine. And a extra fine/extra extra fine ! So my question is in your opinion is this a good kit to start out on ? Anything you would add or any recommendations for any other systems around the 50 to 75 buck mark would be best. Thanks for your time

Frc505 aka frank

Frank, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Nathan's probably never used that system.

It works because it allows you to maintain a fairly constant angle when sharpening...(assuming you always clamp it in the same place on the blade spine and use the same angle setting). And, of course, diamond will sharpen anything.

It is a good kit, though it can be a bit "fussy" because of the clamp.

Personally, I'd recommend a diamond bench stone in concert with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. You can do most of the work more quickly on the bench stone and then finish up and clean up your edge and bevel with the Sharpmaker.

You can find good deals on Ultra Sharp diamond bench stones on that "big river" site. And, of course, the Sharpmaker is fairly ubiquitous.

And now, I'll remove myself and allow the man himself to provide his take on what might serve you best. (With my apologies.)

Nathan,
Im thinking about getting a sharpening kit and the one im thinking of the most is the Magna-Guide kit from DMT it comes with 2 double sided
Diafolds a course/fine. And a extra fine/extra extra fine ! So my question is in your opinion is this a good kit to start out on ? Anything you would add or any recommendations for any other systems around the 50 to 75 buck mark would be best. Thanks for your time

Frc505 aka frank
Not Nathan, but been a DMT owner/user for ~3 decades.

IMO, the Diafold Coarse/Fine is fantastic. The Coarse cuts fast for reprofiling, the Fine produces an edge that can shave easily, but is slightly toothy (on a microscopic scale) so it bites well on lots of various materials.

Their Extra Fine and XX-fine aren't anywhere as good. For one thing, the holes in the pattern can be felt when sharpening (which means the fine edge is contacting the lip of those holes).

If I need an edge as refined as those grit levels are supposed to provide, I prefer a smooth surface. I've had less than stellar results with the X-fine/XX-fine Diafold. OTOH, I've used their no-hole/no pattern plates in X-fine and XX-fine. Those work well, but are $90/ea, and as I've said, I find the edge produced by their Fine grit better for general use (with the caveat that the grit gets finer as it is used, so it's a little more coarse when new, and finer after a few hundred passes).

Thanks for the advice guys i too have been a dmt diafold user for the past 10 or so years so thats why i picked that kit as im familar with the product ! The kit has already been ordered but i will look into a diamond bench stone ! Thanks again for the advice cuz initially i wanted to get a powered sharpener but i wont be able to use it to sharpen my Utility Fighters! So i figured diamond
Was the way to go and since i am comfortable with dmt products i went that route !

FRC505 aka frank

Nathan,

Frc505 aka frank

I don't know. My sharpening setup is geared more towards production. My "regular" sharpening setup are oil stones that most people wouldn't want to learn to use.

Any updates here as we inch closer to October? Thank you, sir.

We had some new machines come in recently. One was a planned upgrade, one was an unplanned replacement. That's 40% of our machining capacity being changed over at basically the same time which has me all screwed up and our schedule is out-of-whack. The SDFK was a few weeks behind the BFK but is on hold until I can get more resources to put into it. I'll get back started on it in about two weeks.

We had some new machines come in recently. One was a planned upgrade, one was an unplanned replacement. That's 40% of our machining capacity being changed over at basically the same time which has me all screwed up and our schedule is out-of-whack. The SDFK was a few weeks behind the BFK but is on hold until I can get more resources to put into it. I'll get back started on it in about two weeks.

Looking forward to this one! Will there be a wide range of scale options on the BF-only premium version of the SDFK? Any thoughts on the sale format for that one?

Super interested in the details of this one, especially the signature edition and if available, a pre order for those

Totally understandable. Thank you for this update!

Back