The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Snip…. variation of the standard Delta protocol for these hard thin knives that gives this lovely material a little bit more of that crisp edge that performs so well at narrow edge angles. We used it on the OG field knives, it was an option on the hard-thin FK2 and it will be used on the DEK3.
Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , when you mention this variation of the standard Delta protocol being used on the OG field knives, are you referring to the Delta marked OG field knives or the 3V marked knives?

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

I removed the scales of my dek and found rust, I used barkeeper friend to remove it but it stained the blade, do you know how could clean it up?

If you find rust under your scales, try putting the scales back on. And leave it alone. It's fine. It will never, ever, become a problem or fail. It's only an issue because you looked at it and its appearance made you feel sad. So just don't look at it. I promise you, it's fine.

Barkeeper's friend stained your blade? If it's under the scales, see the response above^

If it's out in the blade then I'm not sure. If it's an oxide evaporust may remove it.

If you find rust under your scales, try putting the scales back on. And leave it alone. It's fine. It will never, ever, become a problem or fail. It's only an issue because you looked at it and its appearance made you feel sad. So just don't look at it. I promise you, it's fine.

Barkeeper's friend stained your blade? If it's under the scales, see the response above^

If it's out in the blade then I'm not sure. If it's an oxide evaporust may remove it.
Thanks, it looks stained as in marks left by the paste

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

Question about an option on the DEK2 - you are offering a milled swedge on it and I am having a hell of a time picturing it on that particular design. My DEK1 has a swedge and I love the look of it but can you comment on it at all for the DEK2? Would it look as goofy as I think it might or would it render as nicely as it did with the DEK1?

No, I'm sorry. It's already too complicated, I can't add additional weirdness to this pre-order
No worries bossman !...so it seems my only options are a dek3 with sharpened swedge and double edge tip of or a dek2 With a milled swedge and Penetrator tip !... decisions decisions!!!...

Nathan,
Delta 3V in dek3 thickness will still be a incredibly tough knife correct ?this is ment
To be a edc/defensive blade for either 2 or 4 legged creatures for me so besides defending myself it'll be used to open mail/ packages very little food prep and that's it !...
For anything else I'll grab one of my two in coming UF2'S I ordered both a single edge and a double edge ground UF2 !...

FRC505 aka Frank Cervantes

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist Congratulations on putting out the pre-order. It is a nice one and offers plenty of options for people to choose from. The amount of time, effort and planning that has gone to it is obvious. And of course, credits to Lorien for his contributions to the design. I have a few questions (if I may :) ).

1-) Is your HT protocol ready for MagnaCut of will it get evolve until you start production? Your initial impression does not align with the data we see from others (i.e. MagnaCut being stainless 4V) which is not a problem. That is what we need to really understand something. But how far is MagnaCut from 4V as it is, and how much improvement can we expect in the coming 18 months (or whenever you start MagnaCut production)?

2-) Do you have D3V vs MagnaCut like by like comparison? When I say like by like I mean both at the same hardness, preferably harder than 62. The current understanding of 3V is toughness gets reduced disproportionately when the hardness pass 60, so I am wondering in terms of edge stability (I see that combination of hardness and impact toughness), what will be the difference between the two steels if hardness set to 62 for both?

3-) What would be the behind edge thickness of DEK2 and DEK3?

4-) Is ordering without a sheat an option?

5-) Shall we expect to see drops and Friday sales of DEK2/3 for the next 18 months or are these patterns exclusive to the pre-order?

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist Congratulations on putting out the pre-order. It is a nice one and offers plenty of options for people to choose from. The amount of time, effort and planning that has gone to it is obvious. And of course, credits to Lorien for his contributions to the design. I have a few questions (if I may :) ).

1-) Is your HT protocol ready for MagnaCut of will it get evolve until you start production? Your initial impression does not align with the data we see from others (i.e. MagnaCut being stainless 4V) which is not a problem. That is what we need to really understand something. But how far is MagnaCut from 4V as it is, and how much improvement can we expect in the coming 18 months (or whenever you start MagnaCut production)?

2-) Do you have D3V vs MagnaCut like by like comparison? When I say like by like I mean both at the same hardness, preferably harder than 62. The current understanding of 3V is toughness gets reduced disproportionately when the hardness pass 60, so I am wondering in terms of edge stability (I see that combination of hardness and impact toughness), what will be the difference between the two steels if hardness set to 62 for both?

3-) What would be the behind edge thickness of DEK2 and DEK3?

4-) Is ordering without a sheat an option?

5-) Shall we expect to see drops and Friday sales of DEK2/3 for the next 18 months or are these patterns exclusive to the pre-order?

That's a lot of questions. I'm on the road right now but I will touch on some of those when I get back.

Back