The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

Ugh. One last question before finalizing my DEK preorder:

I see that there are options for a Penetrator tip and swedge for both the DEK 1 & 2. Is there any possibility of getting that back swedge sharpened (looking mostly at the DEK1)?

If prior posts hadn't already indicated it, I'd reeeeeeallly like a double edged ~4" CPK. If this is an option, I'm going to have to revise my preorder yet again, to add 2 double edged DEK1's (and if I was a betting man, I'd bet I wouldn't be the only one).

Not a Q but a comment which shouldn't really be in the ANAQ but since everyone else seems to be an insistent #notnatahn, here it goes: your lengthwise "satin" finishes of the past are a thing of true beauty but I understand as to why you no longer wish to do them with the tennis-elbow et al, thereafter delegating that department to Mark who is the grindmeisterflash (sounds somewhat pervy but not intended as such!). Luckily I have a couple of them OGs and foolishly had let go of a couple which I wish I hadn't but you Sir, know how to grind with the best of them. Your "Nope" answer was too modest and wrong IMHO.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

Ugh. One last question before finalizing my DEK preorder:

I see that there are options for a Penetrator tip and swedge for both the DEK 1 & 2. Is there any possibility of getting that back swedge sharpened (looking mostly at the DEK1)?

If prior posts hadn't already indicated it, I'd reeeeeeallly like a double edged ~4" CPK. If this is an option, I'm going to have to revise my preorder yet again, to add 2 double edged DEK1's (and if I was a betting man, I'd bet I wouldn't be the only one).

Sorry, we're already way too complicated, I have to try to keep things simple where I can.

Nathan,
Are there any pics of the finalized design for the dek2 and dek3 ?...I can't seem to find any pics of dek2 and dek3 in their final form and as I'm a visual person when it comes to decisions like these so I'd like to see a pic of what they will look like when it is all said and done ! ...

FRC505 aka Frank Cervantes

Nathan,
Are there any pics of the finalized design for the dek2 and dek3 ?...I can't seem to find any pics of dek2 and dek3 in their final form and as I'm a visual person when it comes to decisions like these so I'd like to see a pic of what they will look like when it is all said and done ! ...

FRC505 aka Frank Cervantes

Sorry, there isn't any. We're in pre-production now. There will be some details ironed out as we start production which will be after material arrives which will probably be February.

I thought it was pretty much everything except the dek3. Probably wrong, but let’s face it, Carothers doesn’t make cutesy fartsie knives. They are all well built over engineered knives made to handle it.

I’m a fan as well, as you must know. My question did not imply CPK making “cutesy fartsie knives”. I also doubt I will ever need the warranty.

Still it’s a cool business commitment, and underlines aspects of a knife’s design. AFAIK, DEK1, DEK3 or Kephart do not have the warranty. How about others, including the larger knives, i.e., the choppers, the Behemoth(er)s, K18, etc. ?

I would say everything except: comp choppers, potato knives, FK2 hard thin version and skinners.
Although, I’m sure CPK would attempt to fix any of their knives. The ones I listed probably don’t fit under the “try and break it” category.

#notnathan

Morning all / Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist ,

Can somebody please remind me which CPK knives have the “rough use warranty” ? I know about UF[2], BFK, and DEK2. Others ?

Thanks,

Roland.

The Shiv, Heavy Chopper, Basic 5 Field Knife, the up coming SDFK and the DEK2 are overbuilt brick shithouse beaters designed to be unbreakable where I encourage abuse and I will replace, repair or refund if they ever fail for any reason short of intentionally breaking them. If you put them in a vise and put a 4' pipe on it, or cut them with a torch, that's on you.

I have applied this warranty to the Utility Fighters and Field knives too because, despite being reasonable dimensions and weight, they're much more durable than the average person can intuitively understand, and I want people to feel comfortable using their knives without fear of breaking them. When used as knives there is no amount of abuse they can't withstand. And, if used as a hammer driven cold chisel or a pry you could damage them (and I don't want to encourage dumb warranty claims) but they would still be covered and repaired, replaced or refunded. If a person breaks a tip, or scale using them as throwing knives the repair might involve a tanto point or florescent pink scales...

I have avoided broadcasting a formal policy because I don't want to encourage dumb warranty claims, but I would warranty pretty much anything I make against damage if it's being used in a remotely reasonable manner including accidently hitting a hidden nail or breaking a tip while prying. No "proof of purchase" necessary, and you don't have to be the original owner.

I haven't used this warranty as a sales tool because I don't want to get into the business model of making overly heavily built knives because you run into cutting performance trade-offs and performance is (literally) our middle name.

The K18 was built as a race knife for a TV show cutting competition. It is not overbuilt, it's designed to win a timed race with points targets, not demolish a building. Historical swords would be ruined cutting down a tree, so this sword is far beyond the capabilities of other swords out there and I don't want people to be afraid to use them, it's a durable cutting tool. But it's a sword, not a forestry tool. I don't want people to go break their swords doing something foolish with them, and I'm not sure how to define "reasonable use" on a double edge racing sword so we're going to have to play that one by ear. Actually, let me take that back, I do want people to be afraid to use them. Not for the sword but their own safety. A double-edged sword is, by definition, a dangerous object. "Double-edged sword" is literally used as a common analogy for something that can help or hurt you and any large sword like this is as dangerous as a loaded gun. The same is true for a double bit forestry axe. You have to use these kinds of cutting tools with some care.

The potato knife, D2 skinner and DEK3 are not designed for rough use.

The Shiv, Heavy Chopper, Basic 5 Field Knife, the up coming SDFK and the DEK2 are overbuilt brick shithouse beaters designed to be unbreakable where I encourage abuse and I will replace, repair or refund if they ever fail for any reason short of intentionally breaking them. If you put them in a vise and put a 4' pipe on it, or cut them with a torch, that's on you.

I have applied this warranty to the Utility Fighters and Field knives too because, despite being reasonable dimensions and weight, they're much more durable than the average person can intuitively understand, and I want people to feel comfortable using their knives without fear of breaking them. When used as knives there is no amount of abuse they can't withstand. And, if used as a hammer driven cold chisel or a pry you could damage them (and I don't want to encourage dumb warranty claims) but they would still be covered and repaired, replaced or refunded. If a person breaks a tip, or scale using them as throwing knives the repair might involve a tanto point or florescent pink scales...

I have avoided broadcasting a formal policy because I don't want to encourage dumb warranty claims, but I would warranty pretty much anything I make against damage if it's being used in a remotely reasonable manner including accidently hitting a hidden nail or breaking a tip while prying. No "proof of purchase" necessary, and you don't have to be the original owner.

I haven't used this warranty as a sales tool because I don't want to get into the business model of making overly heavily built knives because you run into cutting performance trade-offs and performance is (literally) our middle name.

The K18 was built as a race knife for a TV show cutting competition. It is not overbuilt, it's designed to win a timed race with points targets, not demolish a building. Historical swords would be ruined cutting down a tree, so this sword is far beyond the capabilities of other swords out there and I don't want people to be afraid to use them, it's a durable cutting tool. But it's a sword, not a forestry tool. I don't want people to go break their swords doing something foolish with them, and I'm not sure how to define "reasonable use" on a double edge racing sword so we're going to have to play that one by ear. Actually, let me take that back, I do want people to be afraid to use them. Not for the sword but their own safety. A double-edged sword is, by definition, a dangerous object. "Double-edged sword" is literally used as a common analogy for something that can help or hurt you and any large sword like this is as dangerous as a loaded gun. The same is true for a double bit forestry axe. You have to use these kinds of cutting tools with some care.

The potato knife, D2 skinner and DEK3 are not designed for rough use.

Thanks for the elaborate answer, Nathan.

Back