The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I don't know the answer to this question. In principle I have no problems with it, but being on my forum I would be responsible for it. And I already have my hands full (there is a machine sitting idle waiting on me right now, my shop is a huge mess, my inboxes are complete disasters, I can't remember the last time I changed the oil in the air compressor, my grinding area is becoming a real fire hazard), I'm not sure I could give it the attention it would need.

Let me think about this...

How is this possible with the kids around? Delegate, delegate and delegate! I have my 2.5 year old picking up weeds from the lawn, helping with the dishes and laundry, tidying up the house and wiping the counters and everything in the kitchen, and the table. Taking dishes to the sink... Man, you should be laid back with your feet up!

How is this possible with the kids around? Delegate, delegate and delegate! I have my 2.5 year old picking up weeds from the lawn, helping with the dishes and laundry, tidying up the house and wiping the counters and everything in the kitchen, and the table. Taking dishes to the sink... Man, you should be laid back with your feet up!

Judging by what we saw from Nathan/Jo made egghead, she's destined for MIT or Harvard Law, not Blade Forums accessories :p

I'm sorry. You're right, that was offensive. I'm sure Lorien isn't really Canadian. :thumbup:

Touchy subject in my family, these Canadians. The family, German Mennonites, headed northwest and began settling in the Ontario region in the 1780's, having emigrated from the US, specifically Pennsylvania.

As the story goes, those in the family who spoke better French than German decided to return east to Pennsylvania, but stopped and settled in the area of Quebec, having become confused with the map directions, which were written in German.

Some of the family eventually ventured due west and grew that part of the family up in what is now British Columbia. Within the family history, there's a story of one gentleman who tended to mix his German and French incomprehensibly, confusing listeners. He became a loner of sorts, preferring the company of the forest rather than people, and moved onto an island. It is said he had a strange habit of warming his hands inside his pants near his private parts, which is probably where the famiy legend surrounding his tendancy to measure everything with his hand grew from.:D;)

Last edited:
Touchy subject in my family, these Canadians. The family, German Mennonites, headed northwest and began settling in the Ontario region in the 1780's, having emigrated from the US, specifically Pennsylvania.

As the story goes, those in the family who spoke better French than German decided to return east to Pennsylvania, but stopped and settled in the area of Quebec, having become confused with the map directions, which were written in German.

Some of the family eventually ventured due west and grew that part of the family up in what is now British Columbia. Within the family history, there's a story of one gentleman who tended to mix his German and French incomprehensibly, confusing listeners. He became a loner of sorts, preferring the company of the forest rather than people, and moved onto an island. It is said he had a strange habit of warming his hands inside his pants near his private parts, which is probably where the famiy legend surrounding his tendancy to measure everything with his hand grew from.:D;)

Ah, the journey from Mennonite to pocket pool professional. They could make a movie out of it!

Ok I'll stop derailing the thread now!

we're all from someplace, some of us from further away than others ;)

^ any work I do for other people is confidential. That said, I don't make knives for other makers. That isn't a service I offer.

Last edited:
Nate, how's the shop looking? Spent any time to clean up the fire hazards? If I was close, I'd volunteer to help.

Is it true that Nathan makes the Fiddle back production knives ?

I hope Nathan doesn't mind, I got this quote from Andy in one of the threads of the Fiddleback forum: "We work with Nathan, who is a critical part of my team and helps with the drawings and machines the handles for the production line."

Larkin Precision Machining cuts the blades for Fiddleback, Peter's heat treats them. The micarta is presumably output by CNC here. JRE makes the sheaths. This is said with total respect to all makers involved, including Nathan's confidential processes and relationships.

Hey Nathan, I'm just curious, what do you prefer for the Field knife, micarta or G10?

Our shop produces high end 3D machined scales for a number of makers. That is a service we offer and it is widely utilized in the industry. It is an industry standard to never disclose your customers. They, of course, are free to talk about it, but confidentiality requires that I do not. :thumbup:

Hey Nathan, I'm just curious, what do you prefer for the Field knife, micarta or G10?

I prefer micarta. I use natural micarta or Osage orange wood on my personal knives.

G10 does look nice, but micarta is lighter and I prefer the feel.

Nathan hows the w.i.p. going on the new Survive Knife !! Any pics and E.T.A !! we are all getting excited on this new collaboration with Lorien !!

I prefer micarta. I use natural micarta or Osage orange wood on my personal knives.

G10 does look nice, but micarta is lighter and I prefer the feel.

Thanks for the reply Nathan. I was lucky enough to snag one of your Field knives and I chose natural micarta to match my LC, and the EDC that my friend Rick scored for me. I really lucked out when I snagged your personal Nasty Little Double Edged Fighter in cocobolo awhile back. I treasure that knife! :thumbup:;)

Last edited:
The 6 inch fighters really are gorgeous, I should have taken my chances back then.

Anyways, Nathan are you planning on using Elmax again?

The 6 inch fighters really are gorgeous, I should have taken my chances back then.

Anyways, Nathan are you planning on using Elmax again?

No. It's a good steel, but I was offering it because many enlisted men specifically want a stainless steel. Many are judged on the cleanliness and appearance of their gear and want a stainless steel because it looks better. They're gear heads, not knife nuts.

While I do still provide some knives to enlisted men I feel that optimized 3V has a better balance of properties and is stainless enough for most users, so that's where I've been focusing my efforts.

Back