The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nate will a sheath be included on the BC ?

I don't know. Probably not. A sheath that size is going to be expensive and people are going to have their own preferences on a piece like that. I expect it's going to be a small pre-order and a low volume run.

I don't know. Probably not. A sheath that size is going to be expensive and people are going to have their own preferences on a piece like that. I expect it's going to be a small pre-order and a low volume run.
Does that mean limited availability, or that you're not expecting much demand?

I did that one because it was cool, I was wanting to try one and he also wanted it so it was a fun one-off done on the Friday afternoon of the sale. Beer was involved.

I wasn't planning to offer it as a regular option. I don't think there is really much engineering justification for it on that knife other than it kinda looks cool.

^ I don't have a problem with that, but the cost-benefit analysis isn't very good...

That swedge does look cool on the BC...:thumbsup:

Maybe it could be incorporated into the design even though the pure functionality of heavy chopper doesn't require it?

Sometimes a decision that is more of a pure design esthetic can make something better just because of how it pleases the eye. :)

Does that mean limited availability, or that you're not expecting much demand?

It's a pretty expensive niche kind of knife. I don't expect it to have the wide appeal of some of our other more practical patterns. I'll leave the preorder open for at least 40, and if it's going smooth I'll leave it open longer. I like to leave the pre-orders open for a few days to give people plenty of time but I'd be surprised if we sell many more than that in that time frame. *shrug*

That swedge does look cool on the BC...:thumbsup:

Maybe it could be incorporated into the design even though the pure functionality of heavy chopper doesn't require it?

Sometimes a decision that is more of a pure design esthetic can make something better just because of how it pleases the eye. :)

Oh I agree. But our brand is based on value, and bang for the buck high performance cutting tools, so additional steps that add expense without adding functional value are usually eliminated from a design.

It's a pretty expensive niche kind of knife. I don't expect it to have the wide appeal of some of our other more practical patterns.

Oh I agree. But our brand is based on value, and bang for the buck high performance cutting tools, so additional steps that add expense without adding functional value are usually eliminated from a design.

I like CPK's core brand values of thrift and bang for the buck in high performance cutting tools...:thumbsup:

But I was thinking that for this model with it's niche nature (appeal) and higher expense (~$525/$550+ range) that an additional added machining step(s) to the final design could be more easily passed along and absorbed by those fewer prospective buyers who are looking at acquiring this type of knife.

This jugged my memory to recall what my other Q was! I had asked you as to how you were carrying your leather sheath for your Behemoth. I can't recall if you have a belt loop on the back or whether Grog did a purist & minimalist sheath like Bob's whereas Bob just wanted a no-loop sheath. Anyhow, this leads me to a follow up Q:

You had said that the production BC will have some handle modifications plus some subtle blade tweaks (I'm paraphrasing) as compared to the proto-BCs, so I was thinking if the existing leather sheaths from Grog would also fit comfortably or what not. Obviously you will be able to gauge the fit once you finalize the production pattern :)

Lastly, I will make a prediction that the Behemoth preorder will be at least equal to or dare I say larger preorder volume as compared to the LC preorder. It will be a behemoth preorder, so get ready as you've now been forewarned ;)

Maybe an option with an added expense? I do not think a BC with a swedge should cost the same as one without! Additional workmanship and time are required! Just a thought;) I am going to purchase one (Maybe 2) regardless:thumbsup:

This jugged my memory to recall what my other Q was! I had asked you as to how you were carrying your leather sheath for your Behemoth. I can't recall if you have a belt loop on the back or whether Grog did a purist & minimalist sheath like Bob's whereas Bob just wanted a no-loop sheath. Anyhow, this leads me to a follow up Q:

You had said that the production BC will have some handle modifications plus some subtle blade tweaks (I'm paraphrasing) as compared to the proto-BCs, so I was thinking if the existing leather sheaths from Grog would also fit comfortably or what not. Obviously you will be able to gauge the fit once you finalize the production pattern :)

Lastly, I will make a prediction that the Behemoth preorder will be at least equal to or dare I say larger preorder volume as compared to the LC preorder. It will be a behemoth preorder, so get ready as you've now been forewarned ;)

Has a loop on it.

The production version will probably be close enough to the prototype version that a leather sheath would still work, but not kydex.

Nathan: thank you for the response. Please don't be too concerned about a slight bump in the production BC's costs / price, at the expense of offering the edgecut antique micarta handle scales as an added option :)

It's a pretty expensive niche kind of knife. I don't expect it to have the wide appeal of some of our other more practical patterns. I'll leave the preorder open for at least 40, and if it's going smooth I'll leave it open longer. I like to leave the pre-orders open for a few days to give people plenty of time but I'd be surprised if we sell many more than that in that time frame. *shrug*
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely in for one, and I think you probably will be surprised by the response/demand. I tried getting in on the sale and I was somewhere around #32 and maybe only halfway down the list lol.

P.S.

BTW, I've used micarta handled knives before (though not BC sized choppers), but I've never handled anything with TeroTuf handles (although I've heard quite a bit about the material).

Looks aren't a concern to me, but how would you describe the differences/advantages of TeroTuf in use, vs micarta as far as grip and durability go? For use bare handed vs gloved? Wet and/or cold conditions etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely in for one, and I think you probably will be surprised by the response/demand. I tried getting in on the sale and I was somewhere around #32 and maybe only halfway down the list lol.

P.S.

BTW, I've used micarta handled knives before (though not BC sized choppers), but I've never handled anything with TeroTuf handles (although I've heard quite a bit about the material).

Looks aren't a concern to me, but how would you describe the differences/advantages of TeroTuf in use, vs micarta as far as grip and durability go? For use bare handed vs gloved? Wet and/or cold conditions etc.

Micarta works really well, but TT is a little better. It's lighter, absorbs shock better, plays well with sweaty hands. The disadvantage is lower stability, ugly as hell, gets funky looking.

None of my knives are intended to be used with gloves. You can, but it shouldn't be necessary unless it's cold or you're in brush that might stick your hands.

terotuf is definitely harder on the hands

Micarta works really well, but TT is a little better. It's lighter, absorbs shock better, plays well with sweaty hands. The disadvantage is lower stability, ugly as hell, gets funky looking.

None of my knives are intended to be used with gloves. You can, but it shouldn't be necessary unless it's cold or you're in brush that might stick your hands.
Could you clarify the comment about lower stability? Do you mean material stability/durability? Or something else?

Personally, the looks aren't an issue. Ugly is, as ugly does. If it gets dirty from use, but isn't negatively affected by it (other than in aesthetics), I'll take the better performance.

Last edited:
Could you clarify the comment about lower stability? Do you mean material stability/durability? Or something else?

Personally, the looks aren't an issue. Ugly is, as ugly does. If it gets dirty from use, but isn't negatively affected by it (other than in aesthetics), I'll take the better performance.

It is not as dimensionally stable as Micarta or G10, but has better stability than wood or even some stabilized wood. It has okay stability but not as good as other synthetics.

I started laminating it to a micarta liner to reduce movement causing a sharp exposed tang.

Is it simply a rougher texture?
not sure, but it's pretty abrasive. This is a good thing, but if you have soft, supple hands you'll want to wear gloves, especially in the wet

Nathan, did I read it correctly that your planned BC preorder is scheduled for 12/28 which happens to be on a Thursday as opposed to Friday 12/29 following your planned EDC-2 sale, which was how preorders were usually scheduled in the past?

not sure, but it's pretty abrasive. This is a good thing, but if you have soft, supple hands you'll want to wear gloves, especially in the wet
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. While I don't quite have 'able to sand wood' grade calluses, I won't be winning any skin lotion endorsements anytime soon.

I think I'll try out the Terotuf for the BC (and maybe get a spare set of micarta to see which works best for me).

Back